HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2011, 09:20 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdec87 View Post
sorry I meant when center stab is off, but I think I get it.
With center stick stabilization off, the plane is constantly being stabilized; even when you move your sticks.

It is a little different to fly, because you have to hold your commands.

If you want to turn right, you have to hold the stick to the right.

If you want to dive you have to hold your stick forward, but when you release the stick the plane pops back straight.
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2011, 09:31 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
Ok ya that's what I want it to do. Thanks I'll make the changes
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:27 PM
Just FPV'n
Orange County Ca.
Joined Feb 2009
562 Posts
Didn't seem like a maiden flight..

Here is my first "Official" flight with the ET OSD with the Guardian Stabilization.. Which really took the stress out of flying.. Winds were picking up and buffeting the plane... Guardian rules!!.. Worked very well! Next time I'm going to fly without "Center Stick Stabilization" turned on.. I was bouncing around alot..

Mounted a ReplayXD 1080p HD camera on the nose..

Michael

http://vimeo.com/32188574
Mykro is online now Find More Posts by Mykro
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2011, 04:09 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,381 Posts
The only reason that I would justify using center stick stabilization is if you want to do loops or rolls.

I tried to do a loop last week, and guardian wouldn't let me, but for most of my flying, I want full stabilization.

-Mike
Old Nov 16, 2011, 05:06 PM
Just FPV'n
Orange County Ca.
Joined Feb 2009
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
The only reason that I would justify using center stick stabilization is if you want to do loops or rolls.

I tried to do a loop last week, and guardian wouldn't let me, but for most of my flying, I want full stabilization.

-Mike
Next time I'm going to turn off center stick stabilization.. Should smooth things out... I normally like to fly with 50%-50% ailerons to rudder mix which I don't think I'll need to change. I also like using exponential at 50% which I think will need to be turned off too with full stabilization.. Does anyone here fly with exponential using stabilization??
Mykro is online now Find More Posts by Mykro
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mykro; Nov 16, 2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 09:56 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
I would keep the expo, maybe a little less.
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Nov 22, 2011, 01:46 PM
Joined Jan 2010
365 Posts
Guys, I suspect this is answered somewhere somehow by someone... but I just haven't been able to find it...

Thinking about how the guardian works with the OSD's RTH... I've currently got a copilot to stabilise the plane and the RTH using the rudder to rotate the plane.

After a total disaster with the copilot going berserk in fog two weeks ago I'm getting the guardian. Reading the manual I see that I need to use ailerons and not rudder for the RTH.

Question: When RTH (with guardian) tries to rotate the plane, does it just use aileron or aileron plus elevator (obviously with just aileron it would bank but not turn...)

Thanks!
Protocrash is offline Find More Posts by Protocrash
Old Nov 22, 2011, 02:15 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newandaddicted View Post
Guys, I suspect this is answered somewhere somehow by someone... but I just haven't been able to find it...

Thinking about how the guardian works with the OSD's RTH... I've currently got a copilot to stabilise the plane and the RTH using the rudder to rotate the plane.

After a total disaster with the copilot going berserk in fog two weeks ago I'm getting the guardian. Reading the manual I see that I need to use ailerons and not rudder for the RTH.

Question: When RTH (with guardian) tries to rotate the plane, does it just use aileron or aileron plus elevator (obviously with just aileron it would bank but not turn...)

Thanks!
It banks, and holds altitude. so it uses both...

I haven't run servo deflections to see what they are doing,

but it's good at what it does...
Old Nov 22, 2011, 04:34 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,918 Posts
rsowder, re heading hold
Quote:
It starts drifting immediately. I wish they would tie it to the GPS heading. I think they said that was in the works.
That's odd. I will be following up with you on email re the issue. Heading hold should not be drifting like this.

Re using GPS heading, the issue is that it can sometimes be a random number generator on windy days when there is low ground speed. We're coming up with ways to work around this, though.

captward (& others needing Flight Data Recorder/Guardian compat), this is something that we could still do, but the issue is that the community using the FDR with OSD is very small (I would not have necessarily predicted this), and we have so many other requests for new features that much larger numbers of people want. It is a lot of work to integrate it into the FDR, and we have to choose what we don't do if we pursue the FDR/Guardian compat.

Perhaps we could figure out a swap program for people with FDRs who want to also use the Guardian? If this might be interesting to anyone, please PM me.

newandaddicted, re turns, the OSD learns about your aileron to elevator mixing (either manually induced or programmed) during the Radio Wizard, and attempts to use that during RTH. If you don't have automatic mixing, you can add the desired amount of up elevator (corresponding to the amount of aileron stick movement) during the aileron portion of the wizard.
billpa is online now Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 23, 2011, 03:41 PM
Joined Oct 2011
56 Posts
Flight Data Recorder and Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa View Post
rsowder, re heading hold That's odd. I will be following up with you on email re the issue. Heading hold should not be drifting like this.

Re using GPS heading, the issue is that it can sometimes be a random number generator on windy days when there is low ground speed. We're coming up with ways to work around this, though.

captward (& others needing Flight Data Recorder/Guardian compat), this is something that we could still do, but the issue is that the community using the FDR with OSD is very small (I would not have necessarily predicted this), and we have so many other requests for new features that much larger numbers of people want. It is a lot of work to integrate it into the FDR, and we have to choose what we don't do if we pursue the FDR/Guardian compat.

Perhaps we could figure out a swap program for people with FDRs who want to also use the Guardian? If this might be interesting to anyone, please PM me.

newandaddicted, re turns, the OSD learns about your aileron to elevator mixing (either manually induced or programmed) during the Radio Wizard, and attempts to use that during RTH. If you don't have automatic mixing, you can add the desired amount of up elevator (corresponding to the amount of aileron stick movement) during the aileron portion of the wizard.
Hi BillPa:
Happy Thanks Giving to you and family and all the FPV community. Regarding compatibility of the Guardian and the Flight Data Recorder, it certainly makes sense focusing on providing features or products requested from a larger community of users. That being said, I also believe that if the Flight Data Recorder were to be made compatible with the Guardian, in the long run demand for it would rise exponentially.
I am an avid scale rc pilot. With no disrespect to anyone else in the FVP community, I prefer flying giant scale birds as opposed to electrics or foams, though I own a few. When I discovered the Flight Data Recorder and FPV for that matter, with some amount of research I concluded that if I could have a system that would safe guard my birds, worth thousands in the event of a radio lockup, engine failure, (glow, gas or turbine) e.t.c, it would be a priceless feature to have.
Just before the close of flying season here in Maryland, I took my semi complete Scale Cessna 182 powered with a OS 160 FT Gemini to my field and was surprised, not one of my flying buddies new about FPV or Eagle Tree Systems products for that matter.
It is not my desire to persuade you, however think of the magnitude of an effect this would have if this system on board a scale plane were to be demo’ed at flying fields. It would be huge! Scale pilots are much more inclined to line up for a system that its name alone makes practical sense, (Flight Data Recorder), not to take anything away from the eLogger. At least as a scale rc pilot, that’s how I think.
I may be greatly off point to assume the eLogger is to electric planes and the FDR is to Gas/Glow or Turbine. It may not be true, however that’s how I see its application. With the FDR, its also has the built in Speed Sensor and an Altimeter. It is my earnest desire that this feature will be made in the near distant future and for my part will do whatever it takes to demo to the scale rc pilot community at any outing.
Happy Thanks Giving to all!
captward is offline Find More Posts by captward
Last edited by captward; Nov 24, 2011 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Left out a sentence.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 12:06 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,936 Posts
Hi guys - some advice would be great. I have an easystar and the guardian turned down to 1 on overall stabilisation, but when the plane gets a little speed I get terrible oscillations in the rudder. What individual setting do I need to change, and can anyone with an easystar tell me what is an ideal setting?

Thanks.
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Nov 25, 2011, 12:13 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post
Hi guys - some advice would be great. I have an easystar and the guardian turned down to 1 on overall stabilisation, but when the plane gets a little speed I get terrible oscillations in the rudder. What individual setting do I need to change, and can anyone with an easystar tell me what is an ideal setting?

Thanks.

Are you using rudder for rth?

If so, then I would try lowering the turn derivative gain in the safety configuration menu. Just enough to stop the oscillations.

-Mike
Last edited by m_beeson; Nov 25, 2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 12:27 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,936 Posts
Yes I am. I don't have ailerons. Turn derivative gain - thanks Mike.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 12:31 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,936 Posts
Actually wait a minute - is that a Guardian setting or a RTH setting in the OSD Pro? Because I am flying with stabilisation on all the time and this happens with normal flying even when I am NOT using RTH. Wouldn't that mean I have to change the Guardian settings themselves somehow?
Old Nov 25, 2011, 01:12 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post
Actually wait a minute - is that a Guardian setting or a RTH setting in the OSD Pro? Because I am flying with stabilisation on all the time and this happens with normal flying even when I am NOT using RTH. Wouldn't that mean I have to change the Guardian settings themselves somehow?

You're probably right about that.

If I were to try to rectify that issue while using rudder, I would look at the Stabilizer roll gain.

It may be trying to level your flight, and since it can't, then it is working extra hard at it...

If you lower that gain, then it would give it a little wiggle room.

You're treading into new territory, because most people use ailerons with guardian, but I think you can find some good settings through testing and calibration.