HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2011, 01:28 PM
Bakersfield, California
Joined Jan 2007
253 Posts
Since the weather is wet thought I'd turn my attention to a couple of quick fixes.

First the wheel hop. I tried to mount the wheel right to my dremel but that didn't workout, so I used the dremel to spin the wheel while I held the wheel to a sanding block. Used a low RPM setting (didn't want to melt my axle shaft I didn't use the dremel to sand only to spin the wheel. Worked both wheels as even as I could until the eliptical action was gone. The square cut looks good I think. They roll straight and true now, no more hop.

Next up was the box..... I know it's not that big a deal, but the weather has me stuck inside so I thought what the heck...Pictures are self explanitory. Not to tough. I'm happy with the out come but I think I would have done the side cut a little different. Instead of the diagnal from the front I should have kept it straight, stopping short of the back and then angle up to the hinged joint. Oh well, it works..
maxwellmark is offline Find More Posts by maxwellmark
Last edited by maxwellmark; Mar 03, 2011 at 04:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2011, 02:12 PM
USA, CA, Altadena
Joined Nov 2010
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggressorBLUE View Post
Actually, given both the slipstream from the props, and the fact that the inboard areas are having to channel air pushed aside from both the nacelles and fuse, it might be a more effective mod than you think.
I have been reading up a bit on spoilerons and it seems like they might actually increase my stall speed, which I definitely don't want. I have all the parts I need for a flaps mod, I'm just not sure if I'm ready to start cutting up my new plane . maybe after a few more crashes...
Darth Vapor is offline Find More Posts by Darth Vapor
Old Mar 02, 2011, 06:30 PM
Park Stormer
United States, NJ, Brooklawn
Joined Jul 2008
823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vapor View Post
I have been reading up a bit on spoilerons and it seems like they might actually increase my stall speed, which I definitely don't want. I have all the parts I need for a flaps mod, I'm just not sure if I'm ready to start cutting up my new plane . maybe after a few more crashes...
lol, I hear ya. Since I started the mod thread and all,it would be hypocritical of me not to mod my mossie (well someone has to add turbines), I figure I'll get a second down the road to be the stock flyer, while the other is the lab rat.
AggressorBLUE is offline Find More Posts by AggressorBLUE
Old Mar 02, 2011, 06:32 PM
Park Stormer
Joined Jul 2008
823 Posts
Maxwellmark, I added your above post to the front page. Let me know what you want the box mod to be called (porta box is just a place holder). I imagine we'll see several of these, so I'd like to give credit to their creators.

Thanks!
Old Mar 02, 2011, 07:04 PM
USA, CA, Altadena
Joined Nov 2010
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggressorBLUE View Post
Maxwellmark, I added your above post to the front page. Let me know what you want the box mod to be called (porta box is just a place holder). I imagine we'll see several of these, so I'd like to give credit to their creators.

Thanks!
I vote for "Amazing box of awesome amazingness"
Old Mar 02, 2011, 08:32 PM
The trees are my hangar
United States, NY, Queens County
Joined Dec 2010
343 Posts
Darth vapor has my vote and i'm really wondering if it flap mod would help because i am not that good at landing.
omer921 is offline Find More Posts by omer921
Old Mar 02, 2011, 11:17 PM
Park Stormer
Joined Jul 2008
823 Posts
Check the 1st page

and @omer921, spend some more time with that trojan, you'll get there. Also, are you keeping some power on when you land? Early reports say this bird has the glide slope of a brick.

before all that, check the CG. I'll post more on that (and a CG check mod I have in mind) when I get my mossie tomorrow.
Last edited by AggressorBLUE; Mar 02, 2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2011, 06:31 AM
The trees are my hangar
Joined Dec 2010
343 Posts
I cans fly the trojan pretty well, landings are tricky, I give minimal power so the prop is not drag, but I will have to learn how to land it with power.
Old Mar 03, 2011, 09:19 AM
Park Stormer
Joined Jul 2008
823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by omer921 View Post
I cans fly the trojan pretty well, landings are tricky, I give minimal power so the prop is not drag, but I will have to learn how to land it with power.
Check your CG too, apparently there's been issues with foam density descrepencys at the factory leading to varying CG placements.

Also, just in at hobbyking:
3amp brushed ESC. What are the current UM esc's set to, 2 amps?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11885
Old Mar 03, 2011, 12:34 PM
USA, CA, Altadena
Joined Nov 2010
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by omer921 View Post
Darth vapor has my vote and i'm really wondering if it flap mod would help because i am not that good at landing.
Im hoping to be able to slow down and shorten the landings, but I still expect it to be harder then landing the Trojan. Keep practicing before you get the mossie. Doing a bunch touch and goes under power would really help, and I think its pretty fun too.
Old Mar 03, 2011, 02:26 PM
Northern VA
Joined Feb 2011
79 Posts
MG audio?

Ok, I've seen a few audio mods that would remotely playback machine gun firing sounds but all of these units seem to be for park flyers or larger. Anyone know of a micro setup to accomplish this? Would be pretty slick.
petestorm is offline Find More Posts by petestorm
Old Mar 03, 2011, 04:08 PM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,211 Posts
I received my mosquito yesterday, and am pretty excited despite the weather and not being able to fly it. Can someone who has activated the dual ail feature let me know how it went? I might set it up tonight, and wondering the benefits besides spoilerons/flaperons, which I don't know about that much. I know I can trim each one independently, which is a good plus for flight. Will activating dual ail increase throw at all? Thanks!
jabsten is online now Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Mar 03, 2011, 05:24 PM
Park Stormer
Joined Jul 2008
823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vapor View Post
Im hoping to be able to slow down and shorten the landings, but I still expect it to be harder then landing the Trojan. Keep practicing before you get the mossie. Doing a bunch touch and goes under power would really help, and I think its pretty fun too.
I'd say the landings are a good deal harder than the trojan. I just got back from my maiden, and theres a few issues:

One, she needs more power on landing

Two, she's more "twitchy" as the speed goes down, due to the tip-stall tendency. Generally speaking, I'd advise practicing on a UM mustang first. I'd argue those two have more in common than the trojan. I wouldn't say it's worth buying a mustang just for this though. The key is to keep the landings "greasy." After about a half dozen touch and goes, I'm at the point where the landings look good, and the power goes off just a half second before she touches down.

Three, she's a tail dragger, which means roll over is an issue to watch for (unlike the trojan)

One mod I'd like to see is a new nose cone that replicates the observation mondel of the moisse. I've already snapped the two inward dummy mgs,. the observation model would be less prone to damage in a nose over.

I may contact parkflyer plastics about this. seems like a mod a bunch of people could get behind.
Last edited by AggressorBLUE; Mar 03, 2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2011, 07:50 PM
The trees are my hangar
Joined Dec 2010
343 Posts
I flew at the field today and some guys were talkin about the new mossie and how spoilerons would be nice. One of the more expeirienced ones said that even spoilerons would cause it to tip stall, but it really all comes down to one brave person risking their new mossie. I asked him about the landings and he said that if i get the mossie I should practice belly landing it on grass and then moving onto cement. What do you guys think ?
Old Mar 03, 2011, 07:51 PM
I enjoy the voices
Perth, Australia
Joined Apr 2007
481 Posts
Motor upgrades

The other thread has some talk about motor upgrades (think they are Nine Eagles heli motors?).

Can someone post a link to the jucy bits so idiots like me know what to get?
Lead Wings is offline Find More Posts by Lead Wings