HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2011, 10:28 PM
Park Stormer
United States, NJ, Brooklawn
Joined Jul 2008
823 Posts
Discussion
Offical Parkzone UM Mosquito Mod thread

This page is dedicated to adding things such as retracts, lights, bomb drops, turbines....you know, the fun stuff

What this is: A place to discuss/display/inquire about mods for the PZ mossie

What this is NOT: A place to ask "should I get the mossie?", "how does she fly (stock)?", "do I have the skill to fly this?" etc. These are certainly valid questions, but there is already a wonderful thread for that here
AggressorBLUE is offline Find More Posts by AggressorBLUE
Last edited by AggressorBLUE; Mar 07, 2011 at 09:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2011, 10:34 PM
Park Stormer
Joined Jul 2008
823 Posts
Mods Index (within this thread):
Porta-box mod, AKA "Amazing box of awesome amazingness"

Fixes

Off center wheel fix
Last edited by AggressorBLUE; Mar 02, 2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2011, 10:35 PM
Park Stormer
Joined Jul 2008
823 Posts
Mods Index (other threads):
How to activate dual ailerons

UM motor upgrade using Solo Pro and Bravo SX motors(please note turboparkers advice here)

Fixes:
According to Horizon, touch up paint for the Mossie is Testors TES1732, TES1786 (thanks G-MAN!)
Last edited by AggressorBLUE; Mar 07, 2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2011, 10:36 PM
Park Stormer
Joined Jul 2008
823 Posts
Aftermarket Parts/mods/accessories/hop-ups supplier index:

Lights:
TinyBrite Lights:

Battery Options:

E-flight 1 cell 250mah (stock)(available from most HH retailers)

Hyperion 240mah 1 cell (stock fit)
Hyperion 180mah 1 cell (the Hyperion batteries are generally considered the best available for Ultra Micros.):
Available from-
All e RC

ZIPPY 240mAh 30C Single Cell (needs adapter)

Parallel Battery connector for combining two one cell batt's into a larger 1 cell bat, for example, two 150mah 1 cell lipos can be linked to act as a 300mah 1 cell lipo:

1 cell Battery extender (to allow the use of "slim" slot chargers, such as the clectra, to work with the wider 1 cell batteries.)
Last edited by AggressorBLUE; Mar 04, 2011 at 12:14 AM.
Old Mar 01, 2011, 10:49 PM
Park Stormer
Joined Jul 2008
823 Posts
So far, what's looking like the first mod for the mosquito is to adapt it to dual Ailerons. (disclamier,as of this writing, my Mossie is due in later this week, so this is all info gathered from current owners)

While the mossie has a dedicated servo for each Aileron, Horizon chose to use a single rx port and a Y-connector to drive the servos. It is currently believed this is an effort to make the Mosquito easier to bind to 4 channel radios.

Regardless, it should a simple matter to undo the current setup, and run the plane with independent Ailerons, allowing for Flaperon deployment. I'll post pics as soon as I get my mossie in!

Edit: new info came into the main mossie thread as I was typing the above:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1273
Last edited by AggressorBLUE; Mar 01, 2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2011, 01:03 AM
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2011
430 Posts
first post
PnoT is offline Find More Posts by PnoT
Old Mar 02, 2011, 02:49 AM
Clean up! The missus is home
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Dec 2007
594 Posts
I think adding lights will be my first mod. Dawn and dusk. Subscribed!
huntingfield is offline Find More Posts by huntingfield
Old Mar 02, 2011, 03:31 AM
USA, CA, Altadena
Joined Nov 2010
56 Posts
Im getting a dx6i soon ( upgrading from the vapor tx) so my first mod will be trying out flaperons too. Im really happy with its flight as is but it would be nice to slow it down on landings. Im hoping someone figures out retracts because that would be really cool.
Darth Vapor is offline Find More Posts by Darth Vapor
Old Mar 02, 2011, 07:26 AM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
I'd strongly advise against programming in flaperons. This bird tends to drop a wingtip when it stalls already. The thing to try would be spoilerons. That will give you more effective washout and allow you to maintain higher angle-of-attack. That will let you keep the nose up on approach and quickly shed speed without as much risk of a tip stall.

Another battery that works on the Mosquito:
Hyperion 180 mAH 25C single cell. - Saves two or three grams over the stock cell.
Ensign Jimmy is offline Find More Posts by Ensign Jimmy
Old Mar 02, 2011, 07:47 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
I did Spoilerons on my 20" Powerfly Mosquito, and deflecting them up at about 20 degrees really helped low speed handling.

Definitely worth pursuing if your Mosquito is tip stalling.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Mar 02, 2011, 07:59 AM
Clean up! The missus is home
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Dec 2007
594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Jimmy View Post
I'd strongly advise against programming in flaperons. This bird tends to drop a wingtip when it stalls already. The thing to try would be spoilerons. That will give you more effective washout and allow you to maintain higher angle-of-attack. That will let you keep the nose up on approach and quickly shed speed without as much risk of a tip stall.

Another battery that works on the Mosquito:
Hyperion 180 mAH 25C single cell. - Saves two or three grams over the stock cell.
I agree, last thing you would want with these little planes is a tip stall at a distance. Best bet is spoilerons or flaps inboard of the nacelles.
huntingfield is offline Find More Posts by huntingfield
Old Mar 02, 2011, 11:44 AM
Park Stormer
Joined Jul 2008
823 Posts
I'm surprised that spolierons are the solution to the tip-stalls. It seems counter-intuitive. Guess there's Only one to find out....TO THE SALT FLATS!

BTW, if people could post a link to where they are getting their Batts, I'd like to maintain a list of stores, in case somewhere is sold out.
Old Mar 02, 2011, 12:15 PM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggressorBLUE View Post
I'm surprised that spolierons are the solution to the tip-stalls. It seems counter-intuitive. Guess there's Only one to find out....TO THE SALT FLATS!

BTW, if people could post a link to where they are getting their Batts, I'd like to maintain a list of stores, in case somewhere is sold out.
It's only counter-intuitive until you realize that the Mosquito's ailerons are on the outer sections of the wings. Flaperons cause an increase in the angle-of-attack in the affected wing section and increase the wing's camber. That's good if the ailerons are close to the wing root; like in full-span ailerons. In the Mosquito, where the ailerons are on the outside of the wings, you're increasing the angle of attack of the outside of the wings. This cancels out the washout at the wingtips. The Parkzone Mosquito doesn't have a lot of washout to begin with, so flaperons will give you a wing with either no effective washout, or effective washin, which now means that stalls are no longer progressive and benign.

So, for a wing like the Mosquito's you want spoilerons, which will give you more effective washout, so you can keep the nose higher up at low speeds.
Ensign Jimmy is offline Find More Posts by Ensign Jimmy
Old Mar 02, 2011, 12:19 PM
USA, CA, Altadena
Joined Nov 2010
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingfield View Post
I agree, last thing you would want with these little planes is a tip stall at a distance. Best bet is spoilerons or flaps inboard of the nacelles.
Thank for sharing the knowledge guys! inboard flaps would be the coolest, but is the area inside the nacelles to small for them to be effective. In any case the weight ight be prohibative. Spoilerons sound like a good approach. I'll give it a
shot when I get a chance.
Darth Vapor is offline Find More Posts by Darth Vapor
Old Mar 02, 2011, 12:34 PM
Park Stormer
Joined Jul 2008
823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vapor View Post
Thank for sharing the knowledge guys! inboard flaps would be the coolest, but is the area inside the nacelles to small for them to be effective. In any case the weight ight be prohibative. Spoilerons sound like a good approach. I'll give it a
shot when I get a chance.
Actually, given both the slipstream from the props, and the fact that the inboard areas are having to channel air pushed aside from both the nacelles and fuse, it might be a more effective mod than you think.