HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2011, 10:13 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Jul 2002
488 Posts
Discussion
Telemetry Options

I am looking to upgrade to a radio with built in telemetry. I have not tried the DX8, but as I understand the flight battery alarm setting can be made to vibrate the radio. Does the Aurora 9 vibrate for said alarm or only audio?

Are the Aurora 9 and the Spektrum brand my only options as far as built in telemetry goes? I sure wish JR offered something.

I think the whole thing I like about telemetry for me, for now, is knowing I can fly my electric plane until the transmitter tells me it's time to set her down.

Paul
Paul5910 is offline Find More Posts by Paul5910
Last edited by Paul5910; Mar 01, 2011 at 10:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2011, 10:17 PM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Poway, California, United States
Joined Sep 2000
4,193 Posts
Audible only, but battery telemetry is built into the RX where with the DX8 you need an additional unit that costs and weighs more than just the Optima 6 RX alone. You do have the option for one temp and RPM with the telemetry module though, but for about the same price you could add two temps and RPM with the basic telemetry pack but need to use the Optima 7 or 9 with the data port. Other options are fuel, and GPS for speed and altitude and soon, amperage (up to 200A) and an additional voltage to 100v with the "E" sensor station due in May.

Here's a couple screen shots for the new firmware due this week.

Mike.
MikeMayberry is offline Find More Posts by MikeMayberry
Last edited by MikeMayberry; Mar 01, 2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2011, 10:29 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Jul 2002
488 Posts
Thanks for your input Mike. I really like the Aurora 9! If I didn't have so many darned planes already with Spek receivers, this would be a no brainer. Decisions, decisions!

Are these the only 2 radios with built in telemetry?

Where is the best place to buy a Hitec Aurora 9 package if I go that route? I think I saw an ad in one of the maggies for a free receiver or something? This input would be very helpful.

Also, are there one of those modules available that lets the Aurora work with Spektrum receivers?

Thanks

Paul
Paul5910 is offline Find More Posts by Paul5910
Last edited by Paul5910; Mar 01, 2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2011, 12:16 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,425 Posts
You can add FrSky system with telemetry to virtually any radio.
It features audio alarms directly from the box, and a small external display as add-on.
With 9x radio you have telemetry on screen with a small DIY hack.
The whole system cost is of a single receiver of big brands offering.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Mar 02, 2011, 12:20 AM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Poway, California, United States
Joined Sep 2000
4,193 Posts
There are many places discounting the Aurora well below $400 and our current offer includes a free Optima 7 and the option to purchase a second RX for 1/2 price.

No, there is no DSM2 module for the Aurora. If you want to talk to many A9 owners that made the jump you are considering visit the Aurora thread; you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that wasn't just completely overjoyed after making the switch.
MikeMayberry is offline Find More Posts by MikeMayberry
Old Mar 02, 2011, 02:42 AM
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,031 Posts
Multiplex M link does all sorts of telemetry and it works great.

Eric
Ezza is offline Find More Posts by Ezza
Old Mar 02, 2011, 04:02 AM
Joined Dec 2010
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul5910 View Post
I am looking to upgrade to a radio with built in telemetry. I have not tried the DX8, but as I understand the flight battery alarm setting can be made to vibrate the radio. Does the Aurora 9 vibrate for said alarm or only audio?

Are the Aurora 9 and the Spektrum brand my only options as far as built in telemetry goes? I sure wish JR offered something.

I think the whole thing I like about telemetry for me, for now, is knowing I can fly my electric plane until the transmitter tells me it's time to set her down.

Paul
Make sure you get your hands on all the radios of your choice before you make your decision. I wouldn't count out Futaba, as I'll bet they will have telemetry in the near future. It's best if you can test them out, if someone at your field has them.

I find that response time is an important factor as well. I started out with Airtronics 2.4, then switched and stuck with Spektrum. To me, Airtronics was noticeably faster than my DX7. I was new to rc aircrafts at that time, yet I was able to notice the response rate. Currently, my main TX is a DX8. With the new DSMX stuff, such as the AR6115, I notice an even better response rate in comparison to the DX7 and DSM2. With that said, there have been real world tests showing response rates of various brands. Airtronics and Futaba being the fastest systems, Spektrum is second, and Hitech coming in last.

Personally, I haven't tried Futaba or Hitech aircraft systems. I hear great things about them. However, having been into rc cars/trucks for the past 14 years, I would greatly consider Futaba over Hitech in radio equipment.

If JR integrated telemetry and high speed response rates into their systems, I would have chosen them in a heart beat. Since they don't, the Spektrum DX8 became my choice. It's also available under $400 if you search for it. Also, Horizon Hobby's USA customer supports is second to none.
Confuzshuz is offline Find More Posts by Confuzshuz
Last edited by Confuzshuz; Mar 02, 2011 at 04:08 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2011, 06:33 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,536 Posts
Quote:
... If I didn't have so many darned planes already with Spek receivers, this would be a no brainer. Decisions, decisions! ...Thanks
Paul
Isn't HH's marketing awesome. They got you by the balls now. LOL Nothing bad to say about the A9 except to say that it looks better in real life then it did for me in pictures.

PS: Proud DX8 onwer.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Mar 02, 2011, 07:50 AM
Joined Jan 2011
745 Posts
In case no one has noticed- the telemetry which comes with the DX8 (it isn't an additional cost either -just an option for additional rx models) has been around awhile in rc car a std item with the DX2 and 3 radios. I have had them for a while
So - they ain't newcomers or Johnny-Come - Latelys -to the scene .
I love the approach ''Wait for it -they will get it -eventually!"
guy hanson is offline Find More Posts by guy hanson
Old Mar 02, 2011, 08:33 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,910 Posts
Quote:
I sure wish JR offered something.
Hi Paul,

If you already have a JR radio, Spektrum will be shortly releasing a new product which will allow you to have telemetry with ALL Spektrum and JR DSM2/DSMX transmitters using your existing DSM2/DSMX receivers with either the TM1000 or TM1100.

This new device plugs into your iPhone/iPad/iPod to provide the RF connection and uses a free app from the app store. You'll be able to have multiple models bound to it, picking the model you are flying is as easy as can be. Because it uses the iPhone for the user interface, your imagination isn't far off what it will be able to do for notifications and alarming.

As new telemetry sensors are added, they'll be immediately available as updates to the app in the store. This will enable you to hand the phone to a friend to watch something for you, or you can plug in an earpiece to hear it, etc. while it lives safely in your pocket.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 02, 2011, 08:35 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,536 Posts
It been talked out numerous times in the A9 thread that per unit cost of what ever way to say it properly .

If one want to compare $$$ for each model to fly with Telemetry, the A9 is at an advantage because the rx has built-in telemetry and no external device needed and that also saves on weight.

Either way without going into the usual brand debate, both are very good system and one should have a look at both and all before making this kind of investment in a radio system.
Old Mar 02, 2011, 08:43 AM
United States, FL, Miramar
Joined Dec 2007
1,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy hanson View Post
I love the approach ''Wait for it -they will get it -eventually!"
Come on Richard, you know that waiting for Futaba’s telemetry system is a good thing. They’ll get it right the first time (maybe). No need to rush a system out to be full of bugs, I don't know why the DX8 comes to mind.

Doug.
DougV is offline Find More Posts by DougV
Old Mar 02, 2011, 08:52 AM
Joined Jan 2011
745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougV View Post
Come on Richard, you know that waiting for Futaba’s telemetry system is a good thing. They’ll get it right the first time (maybe). No need to rush a system out to be full of bugs, I don't know why the DX8 comes to mind.

Doug.
Yeh- One of the side benifits of being "up front" and selling a lot of product -is that you get to find the pesky bugs -
Guy and I found this out years ago with selling kits.
The new cell phone setup by Spektrum -really looks promising -to me

Now then - if I had an I phone (my phone just does phone calls ) I would program in a warning signal of various songs -tunes which fit the warnings needed such as
"Up Up and away for altitude - "Too hot to handle " etc..
guy hanson is offline Find More Posts by guy hanson
Old Mar 02, 2011, 08:57 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,536 Posts
Its funny when they advertize SD card slot for what ever reason the last reason they mention is for updates. They start with expanding model memory. I have yet to expand my model memories but it sure came in handy with all the updates NEEDED.

So now any future radio purchase that includes SD card, atleast for me will raise a few doubts first.
Old Mar 02, 2011, 10:05 AM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
If you already have a JR radio, Spektrum will be shortly releasing a new product which will allow you to have telemetry with ALL Spektrum and JR DSM2/DSMX transmitters using your existing DSM2/DSMX receivers with either the TM1000 or TM1100.
Wow this new device sounds great! One quick question the RX has to be compaitble with the TM1000/TM1100 right? This new device won't work with an AR500/AR600 RX, right?
ZackJones is offline Find More Posts by ZackJones