HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:23 PM
hole digger
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2002
3,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes View Post
My kit version arrived on the 11th (less than 2 weeks).
Very well packaged in good shape. Finish is very good and the scale details like rivets, panels, and panel lines are well done. Decals and other markings also nice. We will redo the cockpit (although it was fairly nice). The pilot seemed very heavy so he will go on a severe weight loss program (he is solid plastic). The nose gear door will need work as the hinge is a joke. No servos came with the kit but I plan to use HXT900's as they have worked well in a number of my other 90mm EDF's.
Planning to use the CS 90mm 12 blade fan with factory motor on 6S for a nicer sound. Haven't extended the gear yet but from other reports, shouldn't need much attention (other than locktite).
Overall very happy with this purchase!
It comes with one servo to open the nose gear doors.
hole digger is online now Find More Posts by hole digger
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:27 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,940 Posts
Thanks!
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:26 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes View Post
My kit version arrived on the 11th (less than 2 weeks).
Very well packaged in good shape. Finish is very good and the scale details like rivets, panels, and panel lines are well done. Decals and other markings also nice. We will redo the cockpit (although it was fairly nice). The pilot seemed very heavy so he will go on a severe weight loss program (he is solid plastic). The nose gear door will need work as the hinge is a joke. No servos came with the kit but I plan to use HXT900's as they have worked well in a number of my other 90mm EDF's.
Planning to use the CS 90mm 12 blade fan with factory motor on 6S for a nicer sound. Haven't extended the gear yet but from other reports, shouldn't need much attention (other than locktite).
Overall very happy with this purchase!

Agreed my nose gear door arrived broken off model...... hinge design violates every "Injection Molding 101" rule in the book and is absolute rubbish. I too am devising a new plan for a door hinge.
kydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by kydawg1
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:37 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,610 Posts
Slow thread.....anyone flying this bird? I am almost ready to maiden mine....can't wait. Then I may order a second one. The more I see and feel.... the more I like this bird. I have a new nose gear from Ready2Fly (Thanks Guys I appreciate the customer support) and I swapped the stock rotor for a Wemotec Midi Rotor.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:02 PM
Joined Aug 2011
286 Posts
Yes, regularly flying and enjoying it! Seems to be a good reliable jet, mine gets flown from both a hard runway and from grass, and the stock landing gear copes with both. I like the sound of this bird too, really jet like even with the stock fan. Two other guys in my local club have bought them too, but neither has started building theirs yet. We should soon be practising our formation flying here!
Mark 2 is offline Find More Posts by Mark 2
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:09 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 2 View Post
Yes, regularly flying and enjoying it! Seems to be a good reliable jet, mine gets flown from both a hard runway and from grass, and the stock landing gear copes with both. I like the sound of this bird too, really jet like even with the stock fan. Two other guys in my local club have bought them too, but neither has started building theirs yet. We should soon be practising our formation flying here!
Nice - Thanks for the input. Keep em flying.

Have you shot any video? I hope to put some up on youtube when I get a chance to maiden and get her trimmed out.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:22 AM
Joined Aug 2011
286 Posts
No video yet, will try to get some. Looking forward to seeing yours on Youtube - good luck with the maiden.
Mark 2 is offline Find More Posts by Mark 2
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:38 PM
Joined Feb 2010
99 Posts
I've maidend mine today. After initial problems with the COG, it flew very nice at the end. I had to add several mm of elevator and mix additional 10% elevator at high throttle settings due to an misangled thrust output.

I had bought the kit version. Corona Servos and a HK motor with a spare Gaui 100A ESC are completing the package. This setup delivers sufficient power for takeoffs from a gras strip and for quite powertfull flying. It's not the fastest piece of foam, but for me it's fast enough...

So far I'm very pleased with the plane.
kcornels is offline Find More Posts by kcornels
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:51 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcornels View Post
I've maidend mine today. After initial problems with the COG, it flew very nice at the end. I had to add several mm of elevator and mix additional 10% elevator at high throttle settings due to an misangled thrust output.

I had bought the kit version. Corona Servos and a HK motor with a spare Gaui 100A ESC are completing the package. This setup delivers sufficient power for takeoffs from a gras strip and for quite powertfull flying. It's not the fastest piece of foam, but for me it's fast enough...

So far I'm very pleased with the plane.
Can you be a little more specific about your CG problem?
Regarding thrust line, which way does it go with full power?
Thanks!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:41 AM
Joined Feb 2010
99 Posts
my biggest problem has been the loss of my manual... . In the web I've only found 110mm from a not specified point. So I tried the trial and error way. I placed the cog, where I would expect it and added one mm of elevator up. Unfortunately it was positioned quite a bit to much at the front and even with a working cog you need several mm elevator up, to keep the Venom balanced... .

So the first two flights had been a bit exciting... . After 4 batteries, it was quite comfortable in the air, but if anyone could post the correct position of the cog, it would be really nice... (just to be sure)... .

At full throttle, the nose goes significantly down.

During the last landing I lost one complete undercarriage leg because of a loose screw. Make sure to loctite all screws of the landing gears... .
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:50 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,940 Posts
venom CG

According to a thread at rcnetwork.de the posted CG is better at 115mm aft of the outside lip of the intake (see picture). 120mm is maximum aft CG.
Thrust will cause downward pitch at full throttle. Can be fixed using elevator mixing or add a small lip in the lower edge of the exhaust nozzle to direct the thrust upward slightly.
Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:08 AM
Joined Feb 2010
99 Posts
many thanks... .
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:26 AM
Temperance MI (Toledo OH area)
Joined Apr 2007
31 Posts
Here`s a pict of mine flying at E-Jets this year. The A/C flys well and is not CG sensitive R.E. Driftmyer CMSgt USAF (R)
Beak is offline Find More Posts by Beak
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:00 AM
Coldwater, Mi. USA
Joined Jul 2000
829 Posts
Hi Drifty,

The D.H 112 looks great, sorry that I never caught up with you this summer.

It was very nice to meet you this year at the Toledo show.

-DG
Dave Grife is offline Find More Posts by Dave Grife
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:07 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Lšn, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,776 Posts
As HAB Electronic are engineering and selling both airplanes and multicopters we thoght combining the toys would be pretty fun. Here we are playing with two Venom jets and a huge Octacopter. Amir and me are trying our best to fly formation around and under the hovering camera rig.

This is the first test trying to track an aircraft and the video is uncut, but it gives a hint of what is possbile :-)

Film from our latest Octacopter (9 min 16 sec)
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke