SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 01, 2011, 12:32 PM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2007
385 Posts
Build Log
Stevens Aero Re-Run RC

I bought a Stevens Aero Re-Run at the AEFF a few weeks ago planning on turning it into a micro rc glider. I have finished most of it, still waiting on the ar6400 to come in the mail. At first I was going to keep it a pure glider but then a friend gave me a micro motor/prop from a target airhogs a-10 so I decided I would use that as my power system, let me know what you think.

When I finally finished the airframe, I went to do CG/glide tests and I accidentally threw it too hard, and the wing snapped. So I fiberglassed the center section with some 1/2 ounce fiberglass.
toxic-trip is offline Find More Posts by toxic-trip
Last edited by toxic-trip; Mar 01, 2011 at 12:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2011, 12:38 PM
Flash, AAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhh
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
whats your auw? those fans produce together about 20 grams of thrust.
flashkick is offline Find More Posts by flashkick
Old Mar 01, 2011, 12:43 PM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2007
385 Posts
I honestly still need to go get a good scale, right now I only have a crappy food scale and it says about 3/4 ounce AUW, this is without ar6400 but with 1s 140mah battery and motor/pushrods.
Old Mar 01, 2011, 12:50 PM
Flash, AAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhh
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
ya go get a grams scale. one with milligram resolution is best.
flashkick is offline Find More Posts by flashkick
Old Mar 02, 2011, 12:59 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,482 Posts
you can get some fairly good scales on Amazon and Ebay. i bought my scale at Harbor Freight for $12 and its a 0.1 gram scale with a 1000 gram max. its served me very well.

your glider is looking good, but i am skeptical about the motor and prop being able to push the plane.
you may do better with a slightly larger motor on a pylon over the wing.
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Mar 02, 2011, 10:15 AM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2007
385 Posts
I bought a scale last night from candianscales. It was $45 and it does 0.001 gram resolution with 200g max. I put the motor in there last minute, if it is not enough to push the glider, I will lighten the glider more, the try a little bit bigger prop, if that doesnt work I will just take the motor out and make it a pure glider. Also my ar6400L shipped 2 days ago!
Old Mar 03, 2011, 08:55 PM
Crazy Canuck
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2007
2,263 Posts
Here's something I made. 22"ws, wing is 2mm depron with a thin cf rod and tipped up wing tips, 3mm depron for the fuslage, 4-site brick(only one I had around),160 hyperion battery. Weighs in just about an once. Flys really well not fast. But it was a good glider first then I thought I would like to try the Air Hoggs E-charger EDF that sold for $12 at tr'us (hard to find now) took the fan unit and placed it on the CoG. and it flys!!!
I'm also making another type of glider and will try the Air Hoggs A-10 units. The A-10 flys well concidering how heavy it is($39@tr'us)I fly it around when there's no wind and it does well. But after I'm finished with it I'll take the fan units off and make a lighter twin type glider with it. I beleive the 4-site brick can handle bothe fans with a 1c 240 25c battery. But heck those Airhoggs EDF's could be pumped up alittle but for $12&$39 bucks it wasn't a total lost. They work if you keep the weight way down and make a plane with a resonable wing size.
NEWBEFLYER is offline Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER
Last edited by NEWBEFLYER; Mar 03, 2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2011, 09:03 PM
Crazy Canuck
Joined Apr 2007
2,263 Posts
I fly it regular at indoor flying place I go to and get a good 5 min flight time out of it. I'm thinking of making a full fuslage and have the ducted fan unit sit inside it and creat a small dish type inlet and exhaust to make the air flow smoother. See what happens.
Last edited by NEWBEFLYER; Mar 03, 2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2011, 09:09 PM
Crazy Canuck
Joined Apr 2007
2,263 Posts
Here's the Air Hoggs A-10 and the E-charger which at first I just clipped the wings and tail off the original one and add the ones you see here and used it at a concept glider. The e-charger used a battery charger to charge the capasitor in it which spooled up the EDF unit and gave it about a 10-15sec power flight and then it would glide for another 50ft. Not bad I thought and that's when it dawned on me to make my glider an EDF glider and it worked!! Off in the distance there behind the MOLDy fruit display is the Balsa wood version of the white glider it flys great as a glider to.
Old Mar 03, 2011, 09:14 PM
Crazy Canuck
Joined Apr 2007
2,263 Posts
Oh the white glider was what the yellow one was before it was transformed to EDF. That little blue and white one is the Gravity Hobby DX-220 which WAS selling for $39 now it's $69. It's a 2chn cutie but it only flys with power on and sucks as anything of a glider ,BUT it's still nicely scaled and looks great for a static model too. But not for $69.
Old Mar 03, 2011, 09:57 PM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2007
385 Posts
That is cool, I received my 6400 today, so I will be finishing it tonight, have to weight to reduce/find the weight when the scale comes in.