SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 06, 2003, 07:10 AM
Baptised Heathen
Bundaberg, Qld, Australia
Joined Jun 2002
1,365 Posts
Converting weedeater engine

Can anyone tell me how difficult it is to convert a Weedeater Featherlite 18cc engine to aircraft use? What I am looking for is a conversion kit if such exists. If not, has anyone done the conversion on one of these? Any help would be appreciated.
batman is offline Find More Posts by batman
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2003, 02:37 PM
Colorado
Joined May 2003
755 Posts
Take a look at this website. They show how they convert a Ryobi engine to airplane use. Maybe you will get an idea of what needs to be done.

http://www.jagengines.com/

John Boren
John Boren is online now Find More Posts by John Boren
Old Aug 27, 2003, 08:14 PM
Joined Aug 2003
1 Posts
I am in the process of converting a McCoullch weed whacker into an aircraft engine. should have it done in a couple of weeks.
you will need access to a machine shop for the milling of the flywheel, other components can be machined or purchased.
Lots of information at www.carrprecision.com I believe that is the correct address. they will sell you the parts or convert your engine. Good Luck

Nate
nateberry is offline Find More Posts by nateberry
Old Sep 22, 2003, 09:36 AM
Eagle Lake, Mn. 56024
Joined Sep 2003
6 Posts
I can send you a picture of a converted weedie which has a lot of detail and will also give you some tips but I will only do this at your request. Echo
echo is offline Find More Posts by echo
Old Sep 20, 2007, 04:19 AM
Griffith , N.S.W
Joined Sep 2007
1 Posts
Hi , I converted a still whipper snipper engine . Cut off all the unwanted weight , flywheel and all , made a hub to slip on the taper with a keyway and bought desert aircraft ignition so I could get it to run the correct way for a std. prop.end result for the 18cc engine was 6000 rpm running a 13/6 wooden prop...........
very easy conversion p.s. the engine is for sale if your interested

cheers Ian
sprocket1 is offline Find More Posts by sprocket1
Old Sep 20, 2007, 10:06 AM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket1
Hi , I converted a still whipper snipper engine . Cut off all the unwanted weight , flywheel and all , made a hub to slip on the taper with a keyway and bought desert aircraft ignition so I could get it to run the correct way for a std. prop.end result for the 18cc engine was 6000 rpm running a 13/6 wooden prop...........
very easy conversion p.s. the engine is for sale if your interested

cheers Ian
Hmmm, not much power for an 18cc (1.10cu.in.) engine. My 70 4-strokes spin the same size prop over 10,000rpm.

What is the weight of the engine with the ignition and battery for it?

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:13 PM
Flying Wood For Fun
Canada, ON, Harrowsmith
Joined Jan 2012
6,981 Posts
i know its an old thread but heres is some various diy kits
http://www.carrprecision.com/Pages/prod02.htm
irun4fundotca is online now Find More Posts by irun4fundotca
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:48 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,100 Posts
We also have a thread going on about it here too http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1762575
It might give you some ideas too.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter