SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 01, 2011, 05:19 AM
I crash planes
USA, OH, Findlay
Joined Apr 2010
372 Posts
Discussion
SR-71 Blackbird Any Interest???

I am starting to make up with sketch-up finally. I am looking to see how much interest there would be in a
SR-71 Blackbird
Wingspan: 700mm
Length:1202mm
I am kinda leaning toward a hybrid of full form and profile with linked elevons, two on wingtips and two in center. I guess let me know if you want me to proceed, I may not finish depending of interest.
Edit This was original post: Somewhere along the line I messed up a couple pieces. I cannot seem to get them at the same level as other parts.

So could someone better than me clean this up or tell me how? My first time with sketchup. Also if it could be resized to 1200mm length that would be sweet. Or explain how to do it. I am just trying to learn it.
bbjsw10 is offline Find More Posts by bbjsw10
Last edited by bbjsw10; Mar 01, 2011 at 08:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2011, 08:20 AM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,688 Posts
Your problem seemed to be that either the plan was not square or your rotation of the fuse parts was not square. Just Copied it off to the side, took everything apart, squared everything up, put it all back together, then scaled it down. Couldn't seem to get better resolution on the scale than 12 mm so it came out to 1202 mm. See if you can take it from there, not sure just what your doing with it. Full form or profile but at least the one off to the side is squared up now. Keep at it, it will all fall together soon enough, just a step at a time.
Quick61 is online now Find More Posts by Quick61
Old Mar 01, 2011, 11:46 AM
I crash planes
USA, OH, Findlay
Joined Apr 2010
372 Posts
Thanks Buddy. I got lost and frustrated. That put me on track again.
Old Mar 01, 2011, 08:26 PM
I crash planes
USA, OH, Findlay
Joined Apr 2010
372 Posts
I know have sketch-up a little more sorted out, gettin the feel for it. So now seeing if there is any interest in it. Refer to post #1

Thanks again Quick61
Old Mar 02, 2011, 12:22 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,688 Posts
Yea, no problem. I would be interested on down the road a bit. got too many irons in the fire now, still trying to figure out why my XZH-1 wants to go hard left, and I am gluing together a new design as an experiment with designing a delta wing and playing around with passive vectored thrust, all from a single sheet of $tree foam. Hope to have it out for the maiden tomorrow. Keep at it and see where it takes ya..
Old Mar 03, 2011, 06:27 PM
I crash planes
USA, OH, Findlay
Joined Apr 2010
372 Posts
Well here is where I got to on the Sketchup model of it. I am moving on to another plane. I am losing interest in the 71, was a good one to learn some more about SU though.
Old Mar 03, 2011, 06:55 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,688 Posts
Not too bad, Looks like some things clicked for you. Shiny, you should have an entire plane cranked out in no time. What "another plane" are you planing, if I may ask?
Old Mar 03, 2011, 08:21 PM
I crash planes
USA, OH, Findlay
Joined Apr 2010
372 Posts
Sbach 342
Old Mar 04, 2011, 09:12 AM
DUNDAS CANADA
Joined Feb 2006
563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbjsw10 View Post
Well here is where I got to on the Sketchup model of it. I am moving on to another plane. I am losing interest in the 71, was a good one to learn some more about SU though.
Too bad you losing interest in your plane. Several weeks ago I build my first SR-71 using the Dollar store foam boards. Two and half sheets was enough to build one. I was and I am extremely pleased with the model. It is great flyer. Very fast and jet it can by flown at walking speed when landing. My model has 27 wingspan. The flying weight is 20oz with 2200mA 3S battery. The motor is 2212/06 with 6-4 prop.
Since first one was built, I built two more using 6mm Depron. On one I used balsa as shown in the photos. On last one I did not. The one without the balsa is too soft. It flexes too much. Comparing three of them to each other, I feel that the one built from the Dolar store foam board is the best since it costs fraction of the Depron and flies as good. The location of the CG is extremely critical.
LADDIE is offline Find More Posts by LADDIE
Old Mar 04, 2011, 10:39 AM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
Build for yoursel. Others will follow. Build for others, no one comes around.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old Mar 04, 2011, 02:34 PM
I crash planes
USA, OH, Findlay
Joined Apr 2010
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty-Gunn View Post
Build for yoursel. Others will follow. Build for others, no one comes around.
Exactly why I lost interest, I am stuck on pattern/3d planes right now. Atleast the Sketchup is a good starting point for some one that might wanna take over.

This is where I have gotten with the S-Bach, I got 3 wisdom teeth pulled today, so I will have some time to play with the drawing of it.