HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: What should my next flying wing be?
Ridge Runner 3 20.00%
Bee 2 6 40.00%
BeEvolution 3 20.00%
Zagi 5C 0 0%
Other (post suggestion) 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old Feb 28, 2011, 07:46 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Jun 2005
198 Posts
Poll
Help me decide on my next flying wing

I currently fly a Zagi 3C, but after a few re-covering jobs, it's getting old. I also want something alot faster that can roll quickly and easily fly inverted. I'd like it to be sturdy enough for combat. I have the following wings in mind, but is there anything I'm missing? Which one should I get?
  • Ridge Runner
  • Bee2
  • BeEvolution
  • Zagi 5C

An easy build would be nice, but performance is priority. Is the BeEvolution strong enough for combat? Am I just over-analyzing this? I'd probably be happy with any of these!
PBR600RR is offline Find More Posts by PBR600RR
Last edited by PBR600RR; Feb 28, 2011 at 08:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2011, 07:59 PM
by ZIPPER
East Kurrajong Sydney Australia
Joined Aug 2004
5,672 Posts
Off The Edge Scorpion, Faster than most, has DS'd at 158mph and is at home in combat mode.
ZIPPER is online now Find More Posts by ZIPPER
Old Feb 28, 2011, 08:11 PM
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,201 Posts
Jordan "Orni Freak" makes the Mamba. It's a good flyer, he does really well in combat with it too. PM him, he's in So Cal too.
Tom
TRISME is offline Find More Posts by TRISME
Old Feb 28, 2011, 08:20 PM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,322 Posts
Just as Tom said I make the Mamba combat wing check it out at www.slopewings.com. It's won a last-man-standing combat competition and is one of the higher performing combat wings. PM me or send an email...
Mr. Combat Certain is online now Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:27 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,575 Posts
Add the Raider to the list. Great inverted performance.
Bee (or Bee II) is better for combat vs. the BeEvo which is a bit faster. Both Windrider products are of the toughest available.
Combat Wings are also well thought of (for combat, duh).
Ritewings are high performers (not really designed for combat).
Haven't tried a mamba or Scorpion...yet.
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
Old Mar 01, 2011, 01:50 AM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,325 Posts
The Dom which has been travelling round the world for the past few years is a scorpion from off the Edge FWIW
steve wenban is online now Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Mar 01, 2011, 07:40 AM
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,575 Posts
I recommend you got to dawsonh's Vimeo page. He's got some great vids of several wings mentioned here. Warning: you will want to buy them all after watching the vids.
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
Old Mar 01, 2011, 09:49 AM
Joined Jun 2005
198 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

I liked the RiteWing TL50, but I'm not sure if it's still available? (Edit: Just got a response from Chris at RiteWing saying they are available.)

Also, I forgot about the LEG Prairie Dog.

I have a feeling build quality will probably be a big factor in how these fly. Is it really worth the $70-$80 some of these are worth? Do those have some of the more time consuming cuts already done? I know the Bee has precut bays.
Last edited by PBR600RR; Mar 01, 2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old Mar 01, 2011, 09:58 AM
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Feb 2011
844 Posts
I'm just finishing a TL50, so yes, they are still available. Cutting the bays was easy.

The hardest part for me was keeping it light.

Crash Prone is offline Find More Posts by Crash Prone
Old Mar 01, 2011, 10:58 AM
Flagstaff, AZ
USA, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Mar 2003
3,837 Posts
The 3C is the wing I learned on... quite a few years ago. I think the technology has changed quite a bit since then and the aircraft have improved! The 5C is a quick flyer... maybe too fast and slow to recover for combat.

The WW RidgeRunner was my second wing. I liked it a lot; it was pretty fast; recovered well; but it was not the best for outside maneuvers. (However it seems to be the wing of choice for the Temple Hill guys.) I grew to like the WW Raider much better. That big fat symmetrical wing was a wonderful acrobat; it cranked amazing inverted and outside loops/turns and rolls like a dream.

I like the WindRider wings (Bee2 and Bevo) because of the very durable moulded foam and built in gear pockets (little to no cutting). The Bee(2) is my preference over the Bevo because it can fly slower, stall later and recover faster. Both Bee's are probably the easiest/quickest build. I think the Bee2 the best flying all-around durable combat wing.

That said, my favorite wings are the RiteWing TL series. I like the TL50 and 50 slice for general aerobatic flying. It is very "Raider-like" but better. I have built them heavy (35+ oz) to light (19 oz), using conventional building techniques (tape and Ultrakote), the "no-Tape" method (3M90 and RT), and most recently minimal tape, paint and Laminating flim. The smaller TL36 is a super fun small wing and is an extremely good IYF flyer. I build them light 12-13 oz and rip it up in low lift. Also important... Chris Click is a "local" and is always very helpful. I like supporting his work.

So what would be best for you? What are your slope buddies flying? It makes sense to go with the flow. If they are all flying speed wings (Bevo, 5C, RR) then maybe you should too. It they are pounding each other with heavy Raiders or Bees then tape up and join them.

IMHO you could not go wrong with a Bee2 and/or a RightWing TL50... in the 18-22 ounce range. The Bee would be better for constant combat... the TL50 for pure acro. I will always bring one of each to the slope.

Have fun. Don't dwell on to too much. The best plane to fly is the one you fly the most!

Dawson
dawsonh is offline Find More Posts by dawsonh
Old Mar 01, 2011, 11:25 AM
EPP Extrordinare
Joined Feb 2008
3,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBR600RR View Post
I have a feeling build quality will probably be a big factor in how these fly. Is it really worth the $70-$80 some of these are worth? Do those have some of the more time consuming cuts already done? I know the Bee has precut bays.
Yes and no. But a lot of time goes into making a kit, especially if it's a small buisness with only one person behind it (most of them are). So to them maybe $70-$80 seems reasonable...

I know most wing kits (including mine) have the spar slots cut, but the servo+battery locations are drawn out for you. It's really easy to cut them out.
Old Mar 01, 2011, 12:44 PM
Joined Jun 2005
198 Posts
Dawson of the famous aerobatic videos - thank you for your input. I almost bought a LeFish just from watching your videos! Yeah, the 3C was something my buddy bought way back in 2000, then probably 2 flights until 2 or so years ago. I decided to re-cover it and fly the heck out of it. It's done it's job keeping me satisfied, but I just want an improved wing to rip up the sky with and to engage some bogies from time to time. I have a Weasel for the lighter stuff, a WW Scrappy for a small wing, and a Moth for speed. But everyone 'needs' a 48" wing, right? I'll make this my all-purpose sloper.

orni - I agree, and I have no issues with doing extra steps in a build myself. I was just wondering if they pump helium into the foam (or other performance additives) for the extra $$$.

I should probably get to work instead of researching flying wings...
Old Mar 01, 2011, 11:02 PM
Wellington, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
392 Posts
I'll chip in with a vote for windriders Bat. Prob not the best at rolling, but adequate. However it is very fast and versatile and tough as nails. Just need to replace the foam elevons w balsa, better spar, and put larger fins on it and it's a real speedster. If I could have only 1 sloper the Bat would be it.
taurineman is offline Find More Posts by taurineman
Old Mar 02, 2011, 12:09 AM
EPP Extrordinare
Joined Feb 2008
3,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurineman View Post
I'll chip in with a vote for windriders Bat. Prob not the best at rolling, but adequate. However it is very fast and versatile and tough as nails. Just need to replace the foam elevons w balsa, better spar, and put larger fins on it and it's a real speedster. If I could have only 1 sloper the Bat would be it.
I've heard the Bat is a good flier but it's a shame it needs so many mods+upgrades to fly that way...
Old Mar 02, 2011, 12:35 AM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Bee 2 is a great-flying and VERY durable wing. As already mentioned, great recovery characteristics...

The Bevo IS faster by a bit, but has a far more abrupt stall.

I've also flown a powered Raider, the E-Raider by WingWarrior. Decent plane, but snappy stalls.
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Closed Thread