SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by YamaDan, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 07:03 PM
Crashing Gooder and Gooder!
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Feb 2009
2,313 Posts
Discussion
Mutterings of an IMAC newb

I've been flying for a couple years now.. Got into it to clear my head when nothing else would.. I can takeoff, and land with confidence, and perform some basic aerobatic manuvers... but I find myself wanting to get better..

It's in my nature to push things.. weather it's motorcycles, mountain bikes, or RC airplanes.. I obsess about how to go better..

People at my club think I do ok, but I look at my flying as sloppy and unpredictable..

I'll work on one or two things at a time.. but when I change planes, I'm back into old bad habits. Don't get me wrong, this is not a pity party, I'm having fun, I'm just trying to figure out how to have MORE fun.

It's like Skiing.. It's fun going up and down the runs..then you get better and you start looking for those power days.. How ironic is it that the first time you get a great power day, you don't know how to ski in it? Most people are still having a blast, but they're dead tired by noon, and are stuck in bed unable to move the next day.. Meanwhile, there are those who ski all day, suck every ounce of life out of these powder days that they can, and they're the first out the next day.. Why.. are they in better shape? Maybe.. but more likely they know how to ski in powder..

Ok.. If I haven't lost you, heres my point. When I get the chance for that perfect flight, I want to be ready to enjoy it.. Not just take off and land, no I want to fly with purpose.

Enter IMAC... I have this beleif, if you want to advance at something, compete. It's simple really.. Want to run faster? Race. Ride better? Race. Here's the thing for me though..I want to have fun doing it. I don't want to be only training for IMAC.. I want IMAC to train me if you will to be a more confident pilot.

So here's my BLOG.. My cronical of RC club guy to IMAC guy step by step, mistake by mistake, friendly guide to how I'm going about it.

So the planes I have, they've evolved.. I started with a PZ Corsair.. From there went to the 3DHS SHP.. Once you go down that path.. What a great plane.. Thank you GoldCraft for talking me into that first plane.. Best peice of advise I actually followed! Several 3DHS planes later, I have the Extra 330 EPP, the 42 Slick, the 65 Vyper and the 72 SC.. 59 Slick has gear and a receiver waiting.. The Vyper is the new addition to work on more precise flight.. Some people call it cheating, I call it the right tool for the right job..

So, you think I'm just flying the Vyper following IMAC patterns.. nope.. not a one Just having fun with the plane at this point..

These patterens I'm refering to are manuvers, 10 of them, to be performed in sequence and judged! Sound easy? Sound boring? Uh no...

The first time you do a dry run.. come across in level flight, and rock your wings to signal a start...oh the rush kicks right in.... By the way.. people, do you know how hard it is to fly in a straight line?!?!?

I'm going to register for an event.. don't know how I'll do.. dead last is a possibilty, but, I'm gonna do it.. I'll keep this Blog updated with my ramblings.. feel free to give me insight along the way
YamaDan is offline Find More Posts by YamaDan
Last edited by YamaDan; May 12, 2011 at 11:12 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2011, 07:14 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,653 Posts
this is great. thanks for putting this up, I look forward to following along and may just join you .
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Feb 28, 2011, 08:36 PM
Landings are not optional
Van Nuys, CA
Joined Sep 2003
1,805 Posts
Awesome! I'm looking to start IMAC basic this year myself, with my 65 vyper and 47 SHP to practice with. Can't wait to read your stuff!
DeuceTrinal is offline Find More Posts by DeuceTrinal
Old Feb 28, 2011, 09:26 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2010
1,704 Posts
Nice post! I've been thinking about trying out some IMAC stuff myself. There's a comp coming up in Phoenix this month that I'll probably enter. I'm sure I'll come in dead last, but I am committed to having a fun time doing it.
stickybeatz is offline Find More Posts by stickybeatz
Old Feb 28, 2011, 09:33 PM
Jesus Freak
USA, TN, Knoxville, Cedar Bluff
Joined Feb 2005
859 Posts
Exactly my thought process. My 70 Slick and I are going to try to make the Ga and NC events this year. I worked on the 2010 Basic last year and now I'm working on the 2011 Basic sequence. A former IMAC competitor warned me about the unknown sequence. What has anybody else heard about it? Matt
byHISgrace is offline Find More Posts by byHISgrace
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:51 PM
2Low2Slow
Fallbrook, Ca.
Joined Jun 2008
55 Posts
Hi Dan, are there any clubs or flying locations that support IMAC flying located in socal? Any upcoming events ? Sounds great! Are you still torque rolling while wearing a cast?
Ron
rcron is offline Find More Posts by rcron
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:28 PM
Joined Feb 2009
2,313 Posts
Here's what I've done so far..

This is a video of a simulator of the IMAC Basic.. you get the idea..

http://electricdan.wordpress.com/200...nown-sequence/

I was thinking I could just copy that..but.. there's always a but.. for 2011, the routine changed..just a little.. Here's the updated version.

http://www.mini-iac.com/Portals/0/Do...2011_BASIC.pdf

So I printed those off and began kinda going through them with a practice plane.. the little wood ones on a stick.. When I was racing mountain bikes, I would learn the course, I could go through the whole thing in my head.. At the start gate.. take a deep breath... beep beep beeeeep!! Out the gate jump the rock stay high over the off camber.. ok pedal!! suck up the breaking bumps, stay low..don't hit the brakes yet you can hold it... I'd talk my way all the way down the course..

I start with the stick in front and rock the wings, I turn around and do a smooth roll right in front of my line of sight... rudder.. down elevator.. rudder..stay smooth keep the plane level.. 1st manuver done, 9 to go....

I'm working on that and thinking about the control inputs..

There is a bunch of IMAC events comming up soon..

http://www.mini-iac.com/RegionsNA/So...9/Default.aspx

I'm going to start with the one in Perris, then maybe Bear Mountain, Mirimar and Prado for sure.. I can see this might be really fun.. new places to fly..Prado, I've done a couple fun fly events out there and they do a great job of making you feel welcome and you get as much air time as you can handle..

This should be a fun adventure.. I'll post pics and get progress updates along the way..
Old Mar 01, 2011, 04:48 PM
Joined Feb 2009
2,313 Posts
If you have any doubt how 10 simple manuvers could be easy..try doing them.. wow.. I got all pumped up, took the foamy to the park to practice.. ok, going to start with just 4.. Roll, hammehead, tear drop, reverse sharks tooth.. Ok then, lets start with just the roll....
Old Mar 01, 2011, 08:44 PM
ADC Vinyl
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
I'm in

8s Velox for the Electric and 30cc Slick for the rest

I hear foamie training sessions on the horizon
Fliprob17 is offline Find More Posts by Fliprob17
Old Mar 02, 2011, 09:12 PM
Joined Feb 2009
2,313 Posts
Flew 6 packs through the Vyper today..OK.. so here's the tip of the day.. give yourself a lot of room.. set up for the manuver on the tail of the current one.. try to do the manuver in front of yourself .. I did a lot of cuban 8's today..working on kleeping it infront.. there was visible progress.. I even got positive comments from the "peanut gallery" that you find at most club fields

Here's Vyper... Hopefully, I'll be able to do her justice by mid May.
Old Mar 04, 2011, 08:04 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Good look with your first event you got to start some where mate !not got my rcfactory yet but when i do eventually get one its going to be the 55 i think.
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Mar 05, 2011, 02:27 PM
Jesus Freak
USA, TN, Knoxville, Cedar Bluff
Joined Feb 2005
859 Posts
When I practice I do the whole routine. I wonder if I would be better off working on one maneuver at a time? It just seems to me that one of the tricks of IMAC is hooking all of the moves together smoothly. Opinions?. Matt
byHISgrace is offline Find More Posts by byHISgrace
Old Mar 06, 2011, 10:58 PM
Joined Feb 2009
2,313 Posts
My intention was to work on a couple manuvers a day up to all 10.. It's harder than you think.. It's even harder at the local airfield with 4 other planes in the air pretending they're Visa cards.. Everywhere you want to be..

I then decided to just do cuban eight's the whole flight, or at least 10 of them, then goof off, then 10 more, then land.. This is helping me with flying left to right, right to left in a pattern..

After talking to a few people, I decided I'm working on the manuvers two at a time.. after I get them down, I'll start flying the sequence. It's a lot to keep in your head for the first few times..

Oh, and the hot tip of the day.. On the IMAC sheet, that shows you "where" you should be doing the manuver.. left middle and right are al spelled out for you..who knew

Thanks to RCDrum for flying some of the manuvers for me.. really helps to see someone else do them.

I'll try to get some video this week.. we'll see.
Old May 07, 2011, 11:07 PM
ADC Vinyl
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
so....here's my lead-in for EMAC...had about 3 total days over the last two weeks to learn the routine....killed the 3DHS 68 Velox yesterday, bad brownout, completely lost it practicing the basic routine for the EMAC in San Diego TODAY , gone, non-repairable. Really the only plane I had been practicing with and was comfortable with. Didn't have anything else electric that was size-able enough to handle the wind. Yama was gracious enough to loan his 3DHS 72 SC, programmed the radio on the car ride down, bound at the field, center the surfaces on sub-trims, etc. got (1) trim/maiden warm-up flight...then we were slated #1 and #2 to start off our first ever IMAC/EMAC precision event LOL ......more to come
Fliprob17 is offline Find More Posts by Fliprob17
Old May 08, 2011, 02:41 AM
Joined Feb 2009
2,313 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post18176904