to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2011, 05:54 PM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,394 Posts
Videos and Pics from our Meets

Enjoy:
SF Bay Area: FPV Meet #1 (5 min 5 sec)

San Francisco Bay Area FPV Meet (6 min 26 sec)

SF Bay Area: FPV Meet #2 Slow Motion Footage (2 min 30 sec)

Skywalker Formation Flight (7 min 12 sec)

Tracy California FPV Meetup (10 min 25 sec)

FPV at Farm (4 min 50 sec)

http://depositfiles.com/en/files/g51gjep71

Jeff's Videos:
http://depositfiles.com/en/files/djv23ca9a
http://depositfiles.com/en/files/io0rwx70a
http://depositfiles.com/en/files/pii8i7a81

James's Pics from the second meet:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/6409136...7626965759334/
CaliDave is offline Find More Posts by CaliDave
Last edited by CaliDave; Jun 17, 2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 06:51 PM
USA, CA, San Carlos
Joined Nov 2007
1,332 Posts
I live in San Carlos, only 25 mile south of S.F. I would love to meet some FPV fliers in the area as I'm just getting started with FPV...just got back from the hobbyshop with an easy star

1. spektrum dx6i (i know, i know)

2. HK 800 mw 900 mhz

3. easy star

4. San Carlos (San Mateo County)

5. Bayfront Park in Menlo Park. We shouldn't have problems flying there as there's a group of guys flying gliders there on the weekends (so I'm told)

- Jeff
jkarnacki is offline Find More Posts by jkarnacki
Old Feb 28, 2011, 07:20 PM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarnacki View Post
Bayfront Park in Menlo Park. We shouldn't have problems flying there as there's a group of guys flying gliders there on the weekends (so I'm told)
Hey Jeff, thanks for the info. I'm from the Peninsula but haven't flown there yet. I think in general a few folks won't be an issue, but I'm worried that any large group of FPVers rolling into an existing flying spot could upset the local flyers. That said, any places we know we are welcome would be great!

The So. Cal guys for instance are way out in the desert and it sounds like they'll have no real issues bothering people and having a large space to fly. We need a spot like that up here!
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:29 PM
Sonoma
Joined Jul 2009
240 Posts
I live in Sonoma N. bay have some good area's around here plus nice scenery. I have E.S. with 900 MHZ & 72 MHZ. transmitter Ch. 50. I have done RC for 30+ years and Aviation mechanic for 18.... Left aviation for City of S.F. job so i can eat now LOL.... Fort Fuston i know a FPV'er that flys there at the oceanfront
FutureVRPilot is offline Find More Posts by FutureVRPilot
Old Mar 01, 2011, 12:21 AM
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2008
374 Posts
I'm in the east bay. Flying a slow stick on 72mhz with 5.8Ghz video. I'd be willing to take a drive if someone could recommend a non crowded spot to fly, I usually just fly the local parks right at sunrise.
charlienofun is offline Find More Posts by charlienofun
Old Mar 01, 2011, 12:38 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,966 Posts
Can't bring my plane but if you guys hold off till Sept I'm likely down there attending a conference and I'd sure like to attend an FPV meet while I'm there!
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old Mar 01, 2011, 03:17 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2009
1,382 Posts
I'm in South Bay and can recommend the following possible sites. Not a lot to choose from though.

Bayfront Park, Menlo Park - I101 right off Marsh road exit. Big open field with some nice low hills. Only problem is that it's often windy.

Ranch San Antonio, Los Altos - Nice surrounding scenery but the flying field is on the small side. Afternoon sun is directly in your face and can make flying difficult, so definitely more of a morning flying spot.

Baylands, Sunnyvale - Very popular R/C fliers spot but is an urban RF wasteland; video quality will suffer adversely. Also a few miles from SJC approach so I don't advise anything higher than what the regular LOS flyers go.

Poplar Beach park, Half Moon Bay - While not an official flying area, has an undeveloped and massively large field that's more than a 1/2 mile long with a good helping of ocean scenery to boot. In the winter it's mostly low scrubby brush that grows into tall soft grass in the spring. Wind is moderate and variable so it's a mixed bag depending on your luck that day. There's some good cheap eats in HMB to meet up at, like Tres Amigos.

I wish they'd let folks fly at the old Stanford Radio dish open preserve & trails. That place would be a dream to fly but park rules are very strict there so I'm certain it's a no-fly zone. There's rumor of a future R/C field in the Zanker Rd. redevelopment plans, but that's years off. Anyone know of any other good places around the Bay Area?
patricklupo is offline Find More Posts by patricklupo
Old Mar 01, 2011, 03:47 AM
So Cal FPV Aviator
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Feb 2008
3,575 Posts
Hey guys, Dan here from the So Cal thread.

Great to see there are some more meets being arranged out there.

A few words of advice. CaliDave you need to be the one to take the lead here, you gotta do some driving and show up personally to the suggested locations. Thr worst thing you can do is plan a meet and then have everyone get kicked out because of a no trespassing sign, large gates, or too close to an airport.

Set a date and location and people will come. If everyone keeps saying "ya one day" or "lemme know" then it will never happen. It always needs to be set in motion by one person, and that would be you.

Stay motivated, keep it fresh! Don't fly at the same location every time, switch it up keep searching for new and exciting scenery. Different areas will yield different flyers. And over time you'll see some come and some go, but you'll have your regulars.

Put together activities! Formation flights are always fun, chasing planes. Like on this next meet, were gonna put different colored streamers on each plane for easy spotting in the sd cams, and do a 1 mile quad plane formation flight. Back on the ground were gonna have 4 monitors, 1 for each plane in a central location for spectators.

Be in it for the long run. We've been doing it for over a year and its airways fun, it never gets old. Try those suggestions for many years of successful meets.
EyeFlyPlanes is offline Find More Posts by EyeFlyPlanes
Old Mar 01, 2011, 10:50 AM
Slower Traffic Keep Right.....
Pleasanton, Ca
Joined Feb 2007
163 Posts
Dave great thread!

1. Scherrer UHF LRS 433 + 7 Watt Booster, Spektrum 2.4, Fm 72MHz, FM 27MHz.

2. 2.4GHz on EasyStar and 5.8GHz on UM P-51 Mustang

3. ReadyMadeRC FPV EasyStar, Parkzone FPV Ultra Micro P-51 Mustang, FPV Traxxas Summit

4. East Bay - Pleasanton/Dublin

5. I have some great spots. My favorite spot is gated and requires a combo to get into the gate which I have. It could be an ideal spot depending on the amount of people. GPS Cord. 37*47'27.61"N 121*52"30.41'W

I look forward to formation flying with some of you guys.

Doug
Teamwoody is offline Find More Posts by Teamwoody
Old Mar 01, 2011, 11:09 AM
USA, CA, Oakland
Joined Nov 2009
1,362 Posts
I'd come check this out... maybe throw a quick setup together (i have 900mhz video gear). There's number of RC'rs at the Berkeley Marina. Also there's Sierra Point in Brisbane and that area in Foster City near the San Mateo Bridge.
llbr22 is online now Find More Posts by llbr22
Old Mar 01, 2011, 11:13 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,966 Posts
Looks like a nice spot, to see that link in google maps copy and paste the coordinates in this format: 37 47 27.61 N 121 52 30.41 W

or click here
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old Mar 01, 2011, 11:37 AM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenstr View Post
Looks like a nice spot, to see that link in google maps copy and paste the coordinates in this format: 37 47 27.61 N 121 52 30.41 W

or click here
Thanks Glenstr! That does look promising. Open space, easy road access, about 12+ miles to the Livermore Airport which looks like the closest so we've got a nice pad between us and them.

Any Bay Area folks in the Danville area that could scout this location? A bit far for me on a lunch break, but I could check this weekend.
Old Mar 01, 2011, 11:50 AM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeFlyPlanes View Post
Hey guys, Dan here from the So Cal thread.

Great to see there are some more meets being arranged out there.

A few words of advice. CaliDave you need to be the one to take the lead here, you gotta do some driving and show up personally to the suggested locations. Thr worst thing you can do is plan a meet and then have everyone get kicked out because of a no trespassing sign, large gates, or too close to an airport.

Set a date and location and people will come. If everyone keeps saying "ya one day" or "lemme know" then it will never happen. It always needs to be set in motion by one person, and that would be you.

Stay motivated, keep it fresh! Don't fly at the same location every time, switch it up keep searching for new and exciting scenery. Different areas will yield different flyers. And over time you'll see some come and some go, but you'll have your regulars.

Put together activities! Formation flights are always fun, chasing planes. Like on this next meet, were gonna put different colored streamers on each plane for easy spotting in the sd cams, and do a 1 mile quad plane formation flight. Back on the ground were gonna have 4 monitors, 1 for each plane in a central location for spectators.

Be in it for the long run. We've been doing it for over a year and its airways fun, it never gets old. Try those suggestions for many years of successful meets.
Thanks for all the great advice EyeFlyPlanes! I totally understand it's gonna take someone on lead... and that's why I wanted to get a "test sampling" to see what I was getting into. There are a lot of tech nerds like myself around here so I didn't know if there would be 5, 15 or 50 of us! Seems so far like it wound be around 15-25 people if I were to actually have a location and date picked.

As you've pointed out my main concern is planning a spot and having locals or police not be into it. How have your meets been received by locals and/or law enforcement? And, I'm good at communicating (for the most part) and know in some cases simply sending a proposal with what we plan to do to local police can work... but then again sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission and not bother them with non police business (I don't plan to trespass).

Also, great ideas for different activities!
Old Mar 01, 2011, 11:36 PM
Tracy, CA
Joined Nov 2010
32 Posts
FPV Flyer

Hi, Dave- we have already exchanged pm's last week.

1. Dragonlink LRS & OSD, Futaba 6EX
2. 1.2 ghz video link (skysurfer -easystar clone) go-pro HD
3. I live in Tracy over Altamont from Dublin/Livermore.
4. Wide open country area & Delta -haven't checked out too much yet.

Other project - MK Clone Hexacopter.

Excited to hang out and learn from other FPV'ers.

-Tim.
whatmot is offline Find More Posts by whatmot