Joined May 2010
328 Posts
Discussion
Upgrade My DLG's Arsenal with Steigeisen

Hi guys

i'd like to share with you my new DLG
up to now i was flying the TopSky2 DLG's

Now it's time to upgrade to a high end version such as Steigeisen

The building process isn't hard despite the setup installation of the servos and organized them correctly while you have to glue them so no mistakes are a must.

Today i did the first test flight, and i have some questions to some of you that are familiar with the Steigeisen Glider.

I made the setup as was on the manual that came with the glider, and did some final adjustments at the field today.

the CG that i have reached is 73 mm + 2-3 backwards with a 300 mah battery in the nose
or
73 mm CG with a 400 mah battery.

on the test flight i used the 300 mah battery.

During flight i had to trim the Elevator to an up position in order for it to fly straight.

I checked the CG by letting the glider dive in a 45 degrees and it was ok that it tend to straight a bit at the end of diving.

The issue that is a bit concerning to me is that the final Elevator position seems to me a bit in up position in order for it to fly straight!

Is it normal with this plane ?
if so how much in degrees or mm from center?

I have made some short clip of it this morning, enjoy

Steigeisen F3K DLG (1 min 19 sec)

Gil
Beetle-Jet is offline Find More Posts by Beetle-Jet
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2011, 04:16 PM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,079 Posts
Have you looked at the decalage? The absolute position of your elevator is meaningless. What matters is your relative position of your elevator to the AoA of your wing. Make sure your wing is perfectly seated on the wing saddle. Your TE may be shimmed up if your elevator is up a little and you have neutral pitch stability. Does this make sense to you?
Paul
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2011, 01:43 PM
patagonia,az
Joined Oct 2002
2,069 Posts
looked at my Steigeisen and it has CG at 73mm from leading edge of wing

elevator is showing some "up" at it's neutral settting

flies great

Philip
Multi Steiguy
pocket rocket is offline Find More Posts by pocket rocket
Old Mar 02, 2011, 02:36 PM
Steve Meyer
Mt Pleasant, WI
Joined Jun 2005
1,185 Posts
As Paul pointed out decalage is the issue since it is a full flying stabilizer. Wing camber has a direct effect on decalage. That is why the setup directions give elevator position relative to flaperon position.

I use a slider that controls camber, camber to elevator is mixed. At neutral, I believe about 2mm of camber, I adjust elevator trim. Now through out the camber adjustment I pretty much can fly without touching the elevator.

It took a while to get the correct camber to elevator mix. But I started with the recommendations and adjusted from there. One of the most complicated programs since messing with trilerons on a TD plane.

My Steig ROCKS.
SOAR-Steve is offline Find More Posts by SOAR-Steve
Old Mar 02, 2011, 05:34 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,733 Posts
My thoughts on the Steig:

Awesome plane. Fly the CG a mm or so more forward than your "normal" setup. I prefer my airplanes to be slightly stable in pitch, but the Steig had to be a little more so than normal.

The throws that the setup instructions had were not good for me. I overcontrolled the airplane alot, even with aggressive exponentials, especially on the elevator. Too much elevator on the Steig produces drag and stab stalls, not more control. The same goes for the flapperons to a lesser extent. Reduce the throws on ailerons and elevator to minimums and use a dual rate switch for more throw ONLY when you're around tree lines, working low lift, etc. The way I did this was set a rate, then set my two other rate switches to 2/3 and 1/2 of the original. I would go to the field and fly for a couple hours using the 2/3 setting, only ever flipping it higher or lower if I absolutely needed to. Then I'd reset the rates using the 2/3 setting as full rate, and using 2/3 and 1/2 of that as the others. Three trips to the field and I was flying in all modes and all tasks with only about 1/3 of the suggested throws. It was a whole different (better) airplane.

Camber didn't work much for me with this airplane. I flew the wing clean or with very little camber almost always. It likes to move and it seemed like when I tried to slow it down it was less efficient.

Elevator to camber mixing for me was critical for pulling up but I ended up mixing it out when pushing down. Personal preference.

Rudder to aileron mixing on this airplane is very very very effective. I had mine dialed down to only a couple of mm each way. Maybe that had to do with my tendency to fly the wing clean (faster) but I found that more mixing made it squirrelly in the thermal turns.

Slowing it down takes some practice. The torque tubes on the flapperons don't give alot of brakes, and this is a very slippery airframe so you have to plan your descents a bit more.

I absolutely hated this airplane with the original setup, but over a couple of weeks time I got used to what it was good and bad at and it quickly became my favorite last year. Everyone I handed it off to found it to be very well behaved and a joy to fly. Personally I still feel its the best DLG I've ever flown.

As always, YMMV but I think I had a pretty special airplane last year.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old May 02, 2011, 01:17 PM
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Aug 2008
372 Posts
Hi there,

I have just got to maiden my full carbon wing Steigeisen. All I can say is that it is an outstanding flier. It is 10.1 oz with 4 airtronics 802 inside the fuse. It flies so clean !
The wing, despite the extra weight of the carbon fiber, not being loaded with servos signals every possible movement of the air. Yes this makes the plane very sensitive, literally not a hands off plane, but not twitchy either. Compared to my TS II it certainly flies faster but its has a remarkable sink rate and it is able to fly with lots of wind with no ballast. I agree with Tom43004, it needs speed to be efficient.
Launches are majestic, but this was expected form this plane right?
I am not going to make any comparison with the other high performance planes because I did not have the chance to fly them but this one is certainly flies extremely well.

My two cents

Marco.
VirTus is online now Find More Posts by VirTus