HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:04 AM
London, England
Joined Jul 2010
72 Posts
Help!
Radio Set Up - what's the best set up for a number of 1/5th & 1/8th scale bikes?

I've recently acquired a few bike projects that require various parts to get them up and running - what would be the best radio set up?

Three bikes are 1/5th scale (TT Nitro, Mclarney Daytona and a KP07), the 1/8th scale bikes are a brand new OTO (in parts) and a RTR Venom GPV. I also have a Silverlit Ducati that I might go brushless with.

What Radio, recievers and servo's should I use for each scale?
Can I use one radio for them all?
Any guidance for a complete bike novice would be appreciated.
PUMA937 is offline Find More Posts by PUMA937
Last edited by PUMA937; Feb 28, 2011 at 11:26 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2011, 01:40 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,280 Posts
Myself being the only one I know with a few bikes, I prefer to keep different radios in each of them, so that I could have them all running at the same time with interested friends.
I am using 27Mhz AM 2CH Futaba 2PL and 2PBKA and an HPI (from a Firestorm!) radios in the bikes that don't have front brakes, Futaba 3-ch T3UCP's on the bikes with front brakes and the Venom has its own excellent 27Mhz 3-ch radio.
Pistols and sticks mixed, 40mhz FM/PCM and 2.4ghz mixed as well...
I am using the 2PL which has model memories in my KT8 kart too, with another 27mhz receiver. One of the stick Futabas is also home to my Touring Car, the other to my Baja 5B...
As for servos, usually cheapo Futaba S3003 normal-sized servos are the norm in my 1/5 bikes! OK, the new TT SB-5 has an ACE DS1015!!!
steliosh is offline Find More Posts by steliosh
Old Feb 28, 2011, 02:56 PM
melbourne, australia
Joined Jun 2009
902 Posts
i use a futaba 3gr 2.4ghz for my sb5 mardave sidecar and baja5t
only because i like sticks(fly helis as well).
but the cost of futaba Rxs for their FASST system is

to buy a futaba Rx locally is $170au
to buy a spektrum clone from hong kong $15au...shipped

why do i like sticks??
just something else you need to consider

cheers
a
ado1974 is offline Find More Posts by ado1974
Old Feb 28, 2011, 08:37 PM
Ninja Fanatic
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2007
297 Posts
I use Futaba 3PKS 2.4 gigahertz model.

I would recommend a 2.4 gigahertz system since you have many models. These are expensive but these systems are crystaless. This will allow you to use the same radio for all of them provided they have suitable receivers (or you can just have one receiver and switch from model to model). Any problems with people being on the same frequency are eliminated as well. I think all of us down here in Melbourne use 2.4 gig gear now. Also should consider getting a radio system that can store data for multiple models. Set up is quite specific for each different bike and once you find a good set up you won't want to loose it.

Futaba gear as good as it is is ridiculously expensive especially the FASST stuff and I don't know of any equivalents. Would be good if there were though.
The spektrum gear has some limitations but is still quite good.
Jayson is offline Find More Posts by Jayson
Last edited by Jayson; Feb 28, 2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2011, 11:34 AM
never stop building
Memphis, TN USA
Joined Apr 2009
936 Posts
An Airtronics M11 is very good for RC Bike use. Has easy set up for brake mixing and proportional settings for both front and rear brake EPA which is a must for setting your brakes on the fly like at a race or even while your racing. It has 30 model memory too. Extra receivers are not that expensive compared to others.

I have found that the affordable JR ST-126 is a very good servo for 5th scale front brakes. I have around 8 of them in my bikes, have been problem free for a few years now.

Being new to bikes I suggest listening to the RC Bike pod casts allot of good info heres the link: http://2wheelrcpodcast.com/
dragbikebam is offline Find More Posts by dragbikebam
Last edited by dragbikebam; Mar 03, 2011 at 11:52 AM.