Do you have a printer?

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:41 PM
Kansas City, MO
Joined Jan 2000
696 Posts
We have an Epson 10600 44" and an Epson 9800 44" inkjet roll printers. I work as a Graphic Designer
at a carton manufacturer. You thinking I could print right on the foam? I airbrushed the plane but I did cut the type out on our CAD machine on bumper sticker stock and used that as a sticky stencil. Worked fine because nothing wants to stick to EPP very well. the paint is Createx Raspberry and purple.
Jerry Brown is offline Find More Posts by Jerry Brown
Old Mar 23, 2011, 07:00 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,867 Posts
Jerry, that looks great.
Mike
motorhead is offline Find More Posts by motorhead
Old Mar 24, 2011, 11:55 PM
Joined Oct 2010
146 Posts
I'm noting this plane has a straight leading edge. the edge does too. But the yak has a good sweep.

Anybody know how this affects the flying characteristics?
zeedre is offline Find More Posts by zeedre
Old Mar 25, 2011, 09:58 AM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,867 Posts
A strait leading edge helps the aggressive pitch maneuvers. Things like the wall. The Yak just will not quite do it right. The edge and freestyle can pivot in pitch on the prop where the others seem to pivot on the CG if this makes sense. When I was at the KC fly in I let allot of guys fly the Freestyle. One did a cool trick with it. Diving strait down with low power he gave full elevator. It seemed to just pivot on the prop and swing the tail around into a hover. It looked cool.
Mike
motorhead is offline Find More Posts by motorhead
Old Mar 25, 2011, 01:52 PM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,363 Posts
Put the test sample to the printer. It's has good durability and a nice color to it. This was only production mode, we have a higher density print mode that should make it even richer, but may scuff a bit easier. it appears the ink wicks right into the foam and when the UV lamp dry them they stick fairly well just under the surface. it can be abraided off if you really have at it with your finger or give it a good scratch with your nail, but you are actually taking a bit of the foam off with it so i don't think I can improve upon it. I will be attempting a red bull theme with the plane in the next week or two. I need a graphics guy to design it up for me, but it looks like the printer will do a fantastic job on the image.
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster
Old Mar 25, 2011, 04:00 PM
Kansas City, MO
Joined Jan 2000
696 Posts
Got to fly mine a few minutes this morning while the wind was down some. It's gonna be a keeper!!! Looks like I won't get to fly for a few days...we're getting more snow in KC!!! Is it spring YET!!!!!!
Jerry Brown is offline Find More Posts by Jerry Brown
Old Mar 27, 2011, 08:53 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookster View Post
Put the test sample to the printer. It's has good durability and a nice color to it. This was only production mode, we have a higher density print mode that should make it even richer, but may scuff a bit easier. it appears the ink wicks right into the foam and when the UV lamp dry them they stick fairly well just under the surface. it can be abraided off if you really have at it with your finger or give it a good scratch with your nail, but you are actually taking a bit of the foam off with it so i don't think I can improve upon it. I will be attempting a red bull theme with the plane in the next week or two. I need a graphics guy to design it up for me, but it looks like the printer will do a fantastic job on the image.
Which model are you using?
Thanks.

Rick
Old Mar 27, 2011, 12:59 PM
Augernaut
Joined Jan 2010
1,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickn816 View Post
Which model are you using?
Thanks.

Rick
freestyle
Old Mar 27, 2011, 07:50 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookster View Post
freestyle
My bad.

Printer model.

Rick
Old Mar 27, 2011, 07:53 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,977 Posts
Here is mine. Have not hooked up the control rods yet because my DX8 is in Champagne getting fixed.

Can't wait to fly it.

This was assembled with White Gorilla Glue. Takes a little longer to cure, but the bonds are unbreakable.

Rick
Old Mar 28, 2011, 08:40 AM
Augernaut
Joined Jan 2010
1,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickn816 View Post
My bad.

Printer model.

Rick
Fuji Aquity flatbed printer.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 09:27 AM
Gardner Kansas (S. Kansas City)
Joined Dec 2005
547 Posts
I finished my Freestyle last night. It's factory painted, I used 3 - Futaba 3114's, Hacker A10-9L, Turnegy 10 amp ESC, Futaba Fasst 6004 RX, & Dualsky 2S 300 GTS Lipo, it weighs 6.3 oz. RTF. I hovered it around my workshop last night and it has plenty of power. Can't wait for some good weather to try it outside. Also, it should do well inside at that weight.
funflyr is online now Find More Posts by funflyr
Old Mar 28, 2011, 10:21 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,322 Posts
thanks for all the stats on your freestyle...that really helps me.
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Old Mar 29, 2011, 05:02 AM
Gardner Kansas (S. Kansas City)
Joined Dec 2005
547 Posts
I couldn't wait for good weather to maiden my Freestyle. Last night, I went out in the street in front of the house and put a couple of flights on it. My only experience flying a Freestyle was at the Kansas City Indoor R/C Extravaganza when Mike from E-Foamy let me fly his. I liked it so much that I bought one, so I was pretty sure that I would like how mine flew. It was a little windy and cold but the freestyle still did great. The knife edge is really good. Knife edge loops and both kinife edge vertecle figure 8's and horzontal figure 8's are easy to do. It does tight inside loops and really tight waterfalls. Hovering was stable and easy even in the wind and it does stationary rolling harriers into the wind with very little rudder input. I would like to get it to roll a little faster so I am going to work on my aileron setup. I also noticed that the rudder was very sensitive, I may add a little more expo there. Overall it's a winner. As the name implies it's a great Freestyle plane.

I bet a 42" version would be killer!!!!!!

What do you think about that Mike?
funflyr is online now Find More Posts by funflyr