HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2011, 05:05 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,808 Posts
The firther out the more throw you will have. I would recomend that at a minimum you have about 20 degrees throw on all controls. You can go up to about 70 degrees as you get better. If you have a computer radio you can set it for max throw and then dial it down until you are ready for more.
Mike
motorhead is offline Find More Posts by motorhead
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2011, 09:23 AM
Plane O, TX
Joined Jul 2006
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
The firther out the more throw you will have. I would recomend that at a minimum you have about 20 degrees throw on all controls. You can go up to about 70 degrees as you get better. If you have a computer radio you can set it for max throw and then dial it down until you are ready for more.
Mike
Thanks, I did just that. I have about 70 degrees on the ailerons. Amazing! Full on rudder and elevator I'm getting right about 45. Of course once I got it all together I'm having ESC issues!

I did get a couple of flights and it flew awesome! One thing I did notice is that it pulled towards belly on KE. The COG is right on, I can't imagine it is tail heavy. Anything else besides COG that could cause roll to belly on KE?

It was windy, my ESC wasn't co-operating and I'm a newb so I was having troubles trimming it out.
M@ R is offline Find More Posts by M@ R
Old Jul 19, 2011, 08:26 AM
Plane O, TX
Joined Jul 2006
135 Posts
I had some luck getting in more trimmed yesterday. I really need to learn patience! All was going well until it got sucked in by a hungry tree. Luckily a very nice gentleman at the church I was flying at brought out a ladder for me to pull it out of the mouth of the hungry tree!
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:56 AM
Plane O, TX
Joined Jul 2006
135 Posts
So upon further research I am wondering if my ESC problems are actually a motor issue. I have a real hard time getting the motor to start up.

Sometimes I can hit full throttle and it will stutter a few times and then get power. Other times it will just stutter and never start up. Is this normal? It seems to stutter more using a 3s versus a 2s. I am running a Castle 9, batteries are Gen Aces 2s & 3s 450.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:05 PM
Lost but making good time
Joined Nov 2008
1,345 Posts
M@R,

Is youe Castle ESC programed properly? I had a castle that would only allow the motor to reach a specific wattage and there it stayed. Somewhere out there on this site there are instructions for programing the Castle ESC. Just a thought.

Regards,

Hankg
hankg is offline Find More Posts by hankg
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:15 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,345 Posts
Sorry M@R but my ESC was a Mystery not a Castle but the question still remains...maybe the ESC needs to be programed for 2S vs 3S batteries.

I know someone out there has the answer.

Regards,

Hankg
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:15 PM
Plane O, TX
Joined Jul 2006
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankg View Post
M@R,

Is youe Castle ESC programed properly? I had a castle that would only allow the motor to reach a specific wattage and there it stayed. Somewhere out there on this site there are instructions for programing the Castle ESC. Just a thought.

Regards,

Hankg
I will definitely check that out. According to the packing it is supposed to be setup correctly from the factory but it can't hurt to double check. I found the instructions on the castle site.
http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...user-guide.pdf

Thanks,
M@
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:26 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,345 Posts
M@,
http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...User_Guide.pdf

This is the one I came up with. Read it carefully. It will surprise you what lurks behind that little piece of board.

Good luck,

Hankg
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:49 PM
Plane O, TX
Joined Jul 2006
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankg View Post
M@,
http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...User_Guide.pdf

This is the one I came up with. Read it carefully. It will surprise you what lurks behind that little piece of board.

Good luck,

Hankg
Much better manual, thanks! The manual I had was pretty much useless. I definitely have somethings to check out now.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 08:47 AM
Joined May 2011
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M@ R View Post
So upon further research I am wondering if my ESC problems are actually a motor issue. I have a real hard time getting the motor to start up.

Sometimes I can hit full throttle and it will stutter a few times and then get power. Other times it will just stutter and never start up. Is this normal? It seems to stutter more using a 3s versus a 2s. I am running a Castle 9, batteries are Gen Aces 2s & 3s 450.
Had same problem...stuttering....difficulty turning over on start....

Changed to 15 amp HK esc and worked much better. Smoother throttle responce also. I try to get by with the cheapest components.....at the peril of good performance. The planes we see flying on youtube most times have upgraded stuff and tx with expo ect. Youmcan spend a ton....or be happy with what works. Im happy.

Hoot
Hoot48 is offline Find More Posts by Hoot48
Old Jul 20, 2011, 08:55 AM
Plane O, TX
Joined Jul 2006
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot48 View Post
Had same problem...stuttering....difficulty turning over on start....

Changed to 15 amp HK esc and worked much better. Smoother throttle responce also. I try to get by with the cheapest components.....at the peril of good performance. The planes we see flying on youtube most times have upgraded stuff and tx with expo ect. Youmcan spend a ton....or be happy with what works. Im happy.

Hoot
I hear you, the frustrating part is that this is a $30 ESC. Searching the forums I found this is a common issue with the ESC. I'm going to call castle today and see what they say and in the mean time I have a cheap esc on the way!
Old Jul 20, 2011, 09:26 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,519 Posts
Quote:
I can't imagine it is tail heavy. Anything else besides COG that could cause roll to belly on KE?
Check the vertical cg. Take off the prop and suspend the plane from the prop adapter. If it doesn't hang vertical, raise or lower the battery until it does. Vertical CG can affect knife.

Quote:
I hear you, the frustrating part is that this is a $30 ESC. Searching the forums I found this is a common issue with the ESC. I'm going to call castle today and see what they say and in the mean time I have a cheap esc on the way!
I've given up on the Thunderbirds working with either the Blue Wonders or the small Hackers, Never had a problem with the Phoenix series though. The Turnigy Plush is 1/4 the price and starts every time.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:24 AM
Plane O, TX
Joined Jul 2006
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
Check the vertical cg. Take off the prop and suspend the plane from the prop adapter. If it doesn't hang vertical, raise or lower the battery until it does. Vertical CG can affect knife.
Thanks, I think this might be my problem. I got the ESC to work for one flight yesterday and I moved the battery up and it seemed to help. I will definitely hang it tonight and get the balance correct. So much to learn before you ever get into the air, thank god for the interweb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
I've given up on the Thunderbirds working with either the Blue Wonders or the small Hackers, Never had a problem with the Phoenix series though. The Turnigy Plush is 1/4 the price and starts every time.

Azarr
Good to know, the Thunderbird also had problems with my 24g komodo but not nearly as bad.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 08:18 PM
Joined May 2011
23 Posts
Well....i melted a turnigy blue wonder the other day...it was way hot out..and I thought to hell with hot weather ...Im going to fly "Thumper"

I had 15 amp hk esc...3s 20c 800 mah bat.

It just melted the stuff that hold the magnets....

So....I had a motor handy that I got in a " special" deal from hobbypartz...cheap stuff..but for 20 some bucks I got a 36gram motor...dont have specs handy...a 20 amp esc. And 3 9 gram servos. Im cheap...

Anyway I strapped on the motor...and the only props I had were 8043 ep.

Whoa....a bit to much punch....sheesh..was afraid It was going to rip thw wings off...have been used to 2s bats".......but tried to keep it half throttle or less. It got a tad warm even at half throttle...batt and esc were fine. Anyway...had a few flights...hotter than lizard puke..broke two props....went home ..

Hoot
Hoot48 is offline Find More Posts by Hoot48
Last edited by Hoot48; Jul 22, 2011 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Im an idiot
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:51 PM
Plane O, TX
Joined Jul 2006
135 Posts
Sounds like fun Hoot! Where's some video? You should check out he tuff props. Hold up 100x better than normal GWS props. I'll try and get a video of my newb flying tomorrow. Only problem with the Freestyle is it gives me too much confidence and I ended up flying over my abilities.