SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:49 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,978 Posts
New Product
Freestyle by Fancy Foam

It has been a while sense I have kicked out a new design and I got the bug again. This time I wanted something that had the performance of the other 32" acro planes like the Yak-55 and Edge 540 that I have but all rolled into one. I guess I was kind of inspired by the flying of Brandon Chitty and Adreher at the E-fly back in November.
This was to be an "ultimate foamy" I wanted this one to do it all. A day later I had a starting point. I got together with Leadfeather and Adreher and we took turns flying it. It flew well. The good was that it flew real locked in, had a good roll rate and stable in all attitudes. The bad was a pull to the belly in knife edge and it did not have the pitch authority that I wanted. Some modifications and a couple days later and we had the two issues sorted out and had it looking better as well.
The "Freestyle" (thanks Leadfeather for the name) is the best flying foamy that I have! The rolls are very fast. The loops are so tight they are basically a back flip. Knife edge flight and loops require little to no right stick correction. Hovers are very stable and high alpha has little to no wing rock. Extended tail drags are fun.
I have attached a short video of Adreher playing around with it. I will get more video later this week showing the different strong points of the plane.
Mike
www.e-foamy.com
freestyle.mov (1 min 55 sec)
motorhead is offline Find More Posts by motorhead
Last edited by motorhead; May 27, 2011 at 06:33 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2011, 04:22 AM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
Very nice.
KE Spin is offline Find More Posts by KE Spin
Last edited by KE Spin; Feb 28, 2011 at 05:07 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 03:04 PM
FoamyFactory.com
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2001
4,346 Posts
Looks great Mike! I like the color scheme too.
Tim H. is offline Find More Posts by Tim H.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 03:51 PM
United States, IN, Danville
Joined Mar 2007
381 Posts
very nice when will they be for sale
corsair214 is offline Find More Posts by corsair214
Old Feb 28, 2011, 05:50 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,978 Posts
They are on the site now with the 32" 3D planes. I wanted to shoot some outdoor video today but we got some crazy hail and rain yesterday and the field is real muddy.
Mike
www.e-foamy.com
Old Feb 28, 2011, 06:08 PM
Lost but making good time
Joined Nov 2008
1,345 Posts
Mike,

Good luck with the new addition to your line up of excellent airplanes!

Regards,

Hankg
hankg is offline Find More Posts by hankg
Last edited by hankg; Feb 28, 2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:44 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Nice, looks like a great design! Good price too..
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Mar 02, 2011, 05:58 AM
Winging it Ō>
Joined May 2006
9,722 Posts
I was fortunate to be one of the first pilots to fly this plane. At a 34" span it is a little larger than some other planes of this type, however to my surprise the roll rate did not diminish at all; it rolls very fast. In fact the response in all 3 axis is surprisingly good. This plane does the tightest knife edge loops. The extremely good maneuverability makes flying the Freestyle a blast.

I think Mike also did a great job making the plane look really good too.

Congratulations on a very nice new plane Mike!
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Last edited by leadfeather; Mar 02, 2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old Mar 06, 2011, 12:05 AM
myp
Joined Oct 2007
1,103 Posts
What is the length of the Freestyle? Glad to hear that there would be very little KE coupling as my 32" Edge had quite a bit.
myp is offline Find More Posts by myp
Old Mar 06, 2011, 07:52 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,978 Posts
Had a great time at the Kansas City Indoor R/C Extravaganza. A bunch of people of all skill levels got to fly the Freestyle. All had nothing but good to say about it and I sold quite a few so we should be getting additional feedback soon.
I had a great time at the event so if you are not too far away you should consider it for next year.
Mike
Last edited by motorhead; Mar 06, 2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old Mar 06, 2011, 08:00 PM
RC BARNSTORMER
R/C Barnstormers of Hillsdale, KS
Joined Dec 2008
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Had a great time at the Kansas City Indoor R/C Extravaganza. A bunch of people of all skill levels got to fly the Freestyle. All had nothing good to say about it and I sold quite a few so we should be getting additional feedback soon.
I had a great time at the event so if you are not too far away you should consider it for next year.
Mike
Mike,

Thanks for letting me test the Freestyle! It was an awesome plane! Had blinding fast roll speed, good pitch and yaw control, and was stable at slow speeds. Can't wait to build one of my own!

~ Nathan
www.theflyguyz.com
rcflyboynj is offline Find More Posts by rcflyboynj
Old Mar 07, 2011, 12:21 AM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Had a great time at the Kansas City Indoor R/C Extravaganza. A bunch of people of all skill levels got to fly the Freestyle. All had nothing but good to say about it and I sold quite a few so we should be getting additional feedback soon.
Mike
Thanks for letting me fly the plane. I've never done 3-D before, I had that thing sitting on its tail almost as soon as it was in the air. Incredible experience. I bought one right then and there.
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster
Old Mar 07, 2011, 01:13 PM
Kansas City, MO
Joined Jan 2000
700 Posts
Great to see you, Mike. The plane flys great!!!.... Now if I can think of a color scheme I'll get mine going.
Jerry Brown is offline Find More Posts by Jerry Brown
Old Mar 07, 2011, 03:09 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by myp View Post
What is the length of the Freestyle? Glad to hear that there would be very little KE coupling as my 32" Edge had quite a bit.
It is just over 31" in length. I PM'd you about the KE coupling on your Edge.
Mike
Old Mar 07, 2011, 09:51 PM
Leawood, KS
Joined Nov 2010
89 Posts
What is the weight of the Freestyle, without battery? With both foam options, standard and beefy?
sjair is online now Find More Posts by sjair