HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2011, 07:58 PM
Puerto Rico, MayagŁez
Joined Feb 2011
6 Posts
Discussion
Walkera LAMA 400 brushless upgrade

Hello. I'm new to the site and After 25 years I'm returning to the world of R/C and this time to helicopters. Many things have changed...

I just bought a Walkera LAMA 400 (the one with the body similar to a USCG Dolphin). Looking for something bigger that the one I'm currently flying right now. I noticed that the LAMA 400 has brushed motors instead of brushless, so my question is...is there an upgrade for this engines? Can they be replaced with off the shelf brushless motors?. this kind of worries me, because I'm told the brushed ones won't last to long and I'm planning in doing as much flying as I can.
Aisen is offline Find More Posts by Aisen
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2011, 08:39 PM
Suspended Account
las vegas
Joined Jan 2011
149 Posts
yes...check out rtf-heli.com.....brushless motors ther for your lama 400. they also have great skids for the lama 400. i was always breaking mine on the lama 400d. no problems since the super skids.
steelersdean is offline Find More Posts by steelersdean
Old Feb 27, 2011, 09:05 PM
Joined Nov 2010
48 Posts
Really? need to try it first.
Crystal dream is offline Find More Posts by Crystal dream
Old Feb 28, 2011, 08:32 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,744 Posts
Welcome. There already is a Lama 400 thread as well as a thread for brushless conversions that started out as a CX2 conversion, but the larger heli's aren't much different.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...93186&page=151
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...331390&page=34
I hope you guys join those two threads as starting new threads has made this forum difficult to find things in anymore. Every kind of 2 and 3 channel heli is in here and it seems everybody and his brother is constantly starting new threads for the same ****** heli. It's gotten to the point where I just use the MyRCGroups button so I don't have to wade through a ton of crap to find what I want.
There is a LOT of reading to do in both of the threads I gave you, but I'll tell you that the group is divided on what a brushless set up does for you. It isn't cheap and it doesn't necessarily buy you greater performance. One of the guys who is on there will tell you he thinks the stock brushed set up is good enough and the motors aren't expensive to replace.
I got mine in January and have bought batteries from Hobby City(my heli, off Ebay, didn't come with a battery) and an extended inner shaft made by Airy. It's cold and snowy here, so, it won't be going outside until about May. For now, in the house, it's good enough.
Come check out what's going on in those threads and give us your experiences.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Last edited by kodak_jack; Feb 28, 2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 06:36 PM
Puerto Rico, MayagŁez
Joined Feb 2011
6 Posts
Very good, thanks for all the info. I'll be looking into the site as well as those threads.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 09:31 PM
Joined Jan 2010
128 Posts
I guess its called freedom to post threads.. but yeah you have to wade through it all. I have a walk 400. have not took it apart yet..that will come..but the motors are huge looking from peeking into the fuse. I really like this heli so far sooo good
Skoaler is offline Find More Posts by Skoaler
Old Mar 05, 2011, 08:18 PM
Puerto Rico, MayagŁez
Joined Feb 2011
6 Posts
I read some reviews of people who bought the 400 and they where in general preety good. I would like to know? Can it handle at least a breeze? It's been very windy the last couple of weeks down here.
Old Mar 05, 2011, 08:49 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisen View Post
I read some reviews of people who bought the 400 and they where in general preety good. I would like to know? Can it handle at least a breeze? It's been very windy the last couple of weeks down here.
In very windy conditions, not many heli's will fly - at all. In most cases, winds need to be below 5MPH.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Mar 05, 2011, 09:38 PM
Suspended Account
las vegas
Joined Jan 2011
149 Posts
my walkera 400d becomes a kite with even the slightest of breezes. extended the servo arms helps a lil to fight the heli back to you.
steelersdean is offline Find More Posts by steelersdean
Old Mar 06, 2011, 06:35 AM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersdean View Post
my walkera 400d becomes a kite with even the slightest of breezes. extended the servo arms helps a lil to fight the heli back to you.
When flying against a slight breeze it helps to have the heli a little nose heavy. One can accomplish this by using a heavier battery pack, or by removing some of the weight in the tail end of the boom. I have removed just under half of the weight on my brushless 400 to obtain the correct CG that I prefer for outdoor flying. Keep the part of the weight you remove, in case you want to add it in the future.
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo
Old Mar 06, 2011, 07:35 AM
Puerto Rico, MayagŁez
Joined Feb 2011
6 Posts
Ok, Perfect. Yep, I had read that it helps adjusting the pushrod. Never considered the weight reduction and c/g though.

Down here in the Island, February and March get preety windy. This morning, we have light breeze. I just hope wind slows dow a little before I start flying.

I'll keep this post open and my blog too. I'll let everybody know how it went. thanks.