SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 27, 2011, 08:18 PM
United States, CA, Granite Bay
Joined Mar 2004
546 Posts
Contest
XC Contest, March 26-27, 2011, SVSS Davis CA

Get ready for the first Cross Country race of 2011. March 26-27. I expect all the usual suspects to be there and hopefully some new faces as well. 2011 feels like its going to be another great season. Bill and I will have Super Supra all tuned and trimmed. Greg Norsworthy will have his latest world beater which looks to me like a scaled up T-tail Pike and there will be the usual horde of MXC's and SBXC's. I encourage anyone who has never experienced XC to come out and see it for yourself, we can always find an extra seat for riding along with a team.

The format will be 2 hour POST (pilot option speed task) on Saturday flying the 26 mile distance course and FAI speed on Sunday flying the 16 mile speed course with the same remote start/finish as last year. For those not familiar with XC tasks the 2 hour POST is a speed task where teams must fly at least 2 hours and cover as much distance as possible. Final distance is divided by time to determine average speed. Teams that cannot make the 2 hour minimum time are still counted only their distance is divided by 2 hours so for instance, team A flies 10 miles but lands out after only 1 hour of flight time. Team A's average speed is 10 miles divided by the 2 hour minimum = 5 mph. So you can see why flying the minimum of 2 hours is critical to being able to place well.

Pilots meeting will be 9:30 am both days. Winches will shut down by 4 or 5 pm Saturday and 2 or 3 pm Sunday (we'll nail this down before the contest or at the pilots meeting). If any of you still have the laminated course maps from last year please bring them. I will have some extras to hand out as well for any team that needs them.

Entry fee is $10 per team. AMA required for all pilots.

Steve Henke
TrekBiker is offline Find More Posts by TrekBiker
Last edited by TrekBiker; May 28, 2011 at 09:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2011, 06:36 AM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Sep 2005
260 Posts
Turnpoints

Given the left turn, right turn, left turn, right turn nature of the courses, is the glider to be outside the turnpoint, over the turnpoint or just in sight of the turnpoint when the chase vehicle is at each turnpoint ?

Mike N
ThermalSeeker is offline Find More Posts by ThermalSeeker
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:21 AM
Joined Mar 2004
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThermalSeeker View Post
Given the left turn, right turn, left turn, right turn nature of the courses, is the glider to be outside the turnpoint, over the turnpoint or just in sight of the turnpoint when the chase vehicle is at each turnpoint ?

Mike N
Before Winscore scoring we always passed the turnpoints on the outside of the turn. If John Ellias can figure out how to apply Winscore to a 2 hour POST task we will use Winscore which uses a set radius at the turnpoints (John can explain it better and there are other threads here that go into winscore in some depth). As long as the sailplane is within the radius of the TP then its good, inside or outside the turn. Which reminds me, all teams should bring their Magellan Skytrace GPS units.

Steve

http://www.magtechinc.net/SkyTraceGPS.htm
Last edited by TrekBiker; Mar 02, 2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 07:24 PM
Joined Sep 2005
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekBiker View Post
Before Winscore scoring we always passed the turnpoints on the outside of the turn.....

Steve
That pretty much guarantees a lot of flying right over the road. I'll bet passing is rather exciting.
Old Mar 01, 2011, 12:58 AM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,408 Posts
It snowed west of California Valley on Saturday and was around 65 degrees the following day! Soaring season is almost here....
yyz is offline Find More Posts by yyz
Old Mar 09, 2011, 11:11 PM
Joined May 2006
604 Posts
OK so who's committed to attend?
What about team signups?
What about frequency conflicts - should we post these now???

Thanks - Jack ~
jgs99v is offline Find More Posts by jgs99v
Old Mar 12, 2011, 01:32 AM
Joined Mar 2004
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgs99v View Post
OK so who's committed to attend?
What about team signups?
What about frequency conflicts - should we post these now???

Thanks - Jack ~
Jack,

YOU are committed!! Will we see two south bay teams??

dont worry about freq conflicts. most teams are 2.4 now

Steve

PS.. cant wait to go up against the "Super Pike"
Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:21 AM
Joined Jan 2005
277 Posts
Marquita and I will be there. I am flying on channel 22.

John
XC soaringpilot is offline Find More Posts by XC soaringpilot
Old Mar 13, 2011, 04:12 PM
Beaverton, OR
Joined Apr 2002
164 Posts
This response brought over from the Turn point/checkpoint confirmation thread

I didn't want to hijack that thread so I brought the reply to this one. Please pardon me if I did so incorrectly....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekBiker;
Bob,

if the Winscore TP radius is 0.2 miles I dont see any overlap. None of the Davis TP's are less than 1 mile apart so that would mean a separation of at least 0.6 miles between the TP cylinders. If this technology could be perfected then a 0.1 mile TP radius would be perfectly reasonable. I really think this could be a big advancement to XC racing as the TP's have always been a problem.

Steve
Hi Steve,

what I presented was then purely from memory.

I just took a look at what John and I had done with WinScore for the 2010 contest. Please keep in mind that the Davis contest last year was the 1st time we tried to use WinScore for ANY contest and nicely found all the problems that we've been able to avoid in later scored contests.

Not having used WinScore before, John and I decided to try a radius of 0.5 mile.

Now these TPs for the 2010 event may be different from what you are using now. In 2010 TPs 3 & 4 were 0.994 miles apart, TPs 9 & 10 were 0.945, and TPs 11 & 12 were 0.989 miles. So with a radius of 0.5 miles there were overlaps in the TPs and that caused problems with WinScore. I've attached a jpg of the course used.

Going with 0.2mile radius now has fixed any overlap problem, as I can see.

The other main issue we had w/ WinScore and Davis was the number of TPs used. I believe that there were 12 or 13. WinScore can handle only 11 as I recall (start and finish count in the number as well). This limit is for a closed course WITH a finish.

For your 2011 contest you are doing a POST and so only need to specify the start and the next one or two TPs. And it is a differnt type of task in WinScore. I don't believe that WinScore can score a POST as it doesn't know about the 2 - 3 hour window it will only give you the distance flown and then the time element will have to be manually computed. This is mainly due to POSTs not being flown in full size US/FAI contests and so WinScore doesn't support it. I have not looked at the 2011 version as it is still in Beta.

John and I should have posted a document with findings about contest tasks and such; just never got there.

- Bob -
HLGNut is offline Find More Posts by HLGNut
Old Mar 13, 2011, 06:25 PM
Joined Mar 2004
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLGNut View Post
I didn't want to hijack that thread so I brought the reply to this one. Please pardon me if I did so incorrectly....

Hi Steve,

what I presented was then purely from memory.

I just took a look at what John and I had done with WinScore for the 2010 contest. Please keep in mind that the Davis contest last year was the 1st time we tried to use WinScore for ANY contest and nicely found all the problems that we've been able to avoid in later scored contests.

Not having used WinScore before, John and I decided to try a radius of 0.5 mile.

Now these TPs for the 2010 event may be different from what you are using now. In 2010 TPs 3 & 4 were 0.994 miles apart, TPs 9 & 10 were 0.945, and TPs 11 & 12 were 0.989 miles. So with a radius of 0.5 miles there were overlaps in the TPs and that caused problems with WinScore. I've attached a jpg of the course used.

Going with 0.2mile radius now has fixed any overlap problem, as I can see.

The other main issue we had w/ WinScore and Davis was the number of TPs used. I believe that there were 12 or 13. WinScore can handle only 11 as I recall (start and finish count in the number as well). This limit is for a closed course WITH a finish.

For your 2011 contest you are doing a POST and so only need to specify the start and the next one or two TPs. And it is a differnt type of task in WinScore. I don't believe that WinScore can score a POST as it doesn't know about the 2 - 3 hour window it will only give you the distance flown and then the time element will have to be manually computed. This is mainly due to POSTs not being flown in full size US/FAI contests and so WinScore doesn't support it. I have not looked at the 2011 version as it is still in Beta.

John and I should have posted a document with findings about contest tasks and such; just never got there.

- Bob -
OK... it would be nice to be able to score the POST task in Winscore but we can manually do it if need be. It will probably take another year or so to iron out all the wrinkles. I'm really looking forward to all these improvements, especially a GPS device that can accurately signal the team when a TP radius has been reached. I remember your presentation from last years Montague and how I missed some TP's even after trying as hard as I could to be right under the sailplane while sitting at the TP. Tough to do when specked out. Before Winscore I would simply go way outside the TP to make sure I hit it.

Steve
Old Mar 14, 2011, 09:58 AM
Webmaster & Newsletter SVSS
Rio Linda, CA
Joined Feb 2010
120 Posts
Dust Devils

So far, Team Dust Devils consists of Scott Meader and Dudley Dufort. Using channel 53 (Provided I can get Jack's blessing). We'll be flying an MXC, Red of course.

Two weeks and counting!!
Dudley Dufort is offline Find More Posts by Dudley Dufort
Old Mar 14, 2011, 01:02 PM
Joined May 2006
604 Posts
Dudley you have my blessing!!!
Hopefully I'll be 2.4 for the rest of the season - so please continue.
Heard you might have another bird not getting any air time. My replacement delayed for some time now.
jgs99v is offline Find More Posts by jgs99v
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:09 AM
Joined Oct 2004
600 Posts
Roger and I will be competing on 2.4. Ron has lost his sense of what's important and will be attending a wedding instead.

Regards Dean
DEAN GRADWELL is offline Find More Posts by DEAN GRADWELL
Old Mar 16, 2011, 07:30 PM
Joined Sep 2005
260 Posts
I'm out...A trip via the airlines with my glider has left me with a crushed vertical fin top, broken rudder hinges and a smashed rudder bottom. A "Notice Of Baggage Inspection" was left inside my box. I don't know if it was the samsonite gorilla or the guys with the x-ray machine that has sent me back to the workshop.
Strangely, there's a clevis on the end of my rudder pushrod that is now missing. I wouldn't have thought of it as a threat to our national security.

At any rate there is now another motel room available for the contest at the Motel6 since I have work to do before the May contest.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 09:22 PM
Los Osos, CA
Joined May 2008
229 Posts
Chauffer needed

I can't seem to find anybody local that wants to travel 250 miles and then drive around in circles with lots of starts and stops for two days. Any chance of finding someone at SVSS to drive a team around the course and someone to co-pilot to keep me out of trouble. I have one XC contest (25 K pin) under my belt as pilot and am anxious to do it again(50K pin?). I have two swivel seats, a full size pickup and an MXC (and backup SBXC) plus gps equipment. If we can put together a team count me in for the SVSS XC contest. CH 45
Is there camping on the field still?

Rick Johnston 805 235 6415
Rickj.1151 is offline Find More Posts by Rickj.1151