HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:38 PM
Micro Jet Pilot
Joined Jul 2005
2,091 Posts
Discussion
6'' Micro Squall (20mm EDF, Single Phase Sensorless Motor)

Hi guys,

I have been busy working on a new frame the last couple of days. Here it is...

Chris
Chris T is offline Find More Posts by Chris T
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2011, 01:03 PM
The 6 P principle works for me
Ventura CA
Joined Aug 2007
980 Posts
Very cool! Looking forward to a flight report! Is this an inside flyer?

Michael (if your not fryin, your not tryin!)
elecfryer is offline Find More Posts by elecfryer
Old Feb 27, 2011, 09:28 PM
Joined Nov 2010
148 Posts
Wow that is TINY!!! Can't wait to see it fly! Is this the smallest EDF ever?
norco kid is offline Find More Posts by norco kid
Old Feb 28, 2011, 05:27 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
Yowsers! Lookin' real nice there Chris!
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Mar 04, 2011, 06:36 AM
Micro Jet Pilot
Joined Jul 2005
2,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norco kid View Post
Wow that is TINY!!! Can't wait to see it fly! Is this the smallest EDF ever?

Hi,

As far as I know, there is no smaller jet out there. I think, that size is only possible with the special electronics I developed. So far the frame weighs exactly 4.9g. The servos will be around 1g both together, the current motor+rotor version is 2.2g, but dependent on the power level, a smaller magnet could be used and the weight could come down to approximately 1.5g. The electronics is below 0.5g and then there is only some glass, the canopy and the battery left. Total weight will end up around 15g. Don't know, which battery to use yet, but I figured the 120mAh cell of my solo pro helicopter fits perfectly in the front cell of the cabin. I could even build in the corresponding jack to swap batteries easily. My micros had a build in battery and charging plug so far, because there was no space for a removable battery. This will be a major advantage and will allow much more flight time.

Michael, this is supposed to be an outside flyer with the option of flying in large indoor places. We have to see how close I can fly it. This will depend on the power level.

I will present the results of the motor and controller soon...

Chris
Last edited by Chris T; Mar 04, 2011 at 09:37 AM.
Old Mar 04, 2011, 12:14 PM
Carbondale PA
Joined Aug 2005
569 Posts
Hi Chris,

You are doing a wonderful job on the development of your 6' wingspan Squall. It should be a beautiful model!

I know that my 5.5 inch wingspan 5 gram 1/72 scale MiG 15 will be beat soon, but it is currently the worlds smallest EDF Jet!

Joe.
Joe Malinchak is offline Find More Posts by Joe Malinchak
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Micro Laser 3D
Old Mar 05, 2011, 04:26 AM
Micro Jet Pilot
Joined Jul 2005
2,091 Posts
Hey Joe, that is a beautiful model there!! I have seen it before here in the forum, but I wasn't aware that it is so small. Seems like you will keep the record for some time I could scale everything down on my model but the fan. I am still thinking of a way to produce 15mm fans. I will give my balsa fan a new chance though. First, I want to get this rather "large" variant flying, introducing servo control to that scale. There is room for improvement...

Chris
Old Mar 06, 2011, 12:11 PM
Micro Jet Pilot
Joined Jul 2005
2,091 Posts
New Motor

Hi,

here's the new motor I just finished:
Weight incl. fan: 2.2g
No load rpm: 75000
rpm with fan: 50000
Finally, I am getting some heat Need to hook up my watt's up for some real numbers, but I am getting closer to the desired power level...

Chris
Old Mar 06, 2011, 12:22 PM
Montreal, QC, CANADA
Joined Aug 2008
821 Posts
that is COOL chris! do you have a link to some info on the single phase brushless motor? i've never seen that before.
forsakenrider is offline Find More Posts by forsakenrider
Old Mar 06, 2011, 01:50 PM
Joined Oct 2006
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T View Post
Hi,

here's the new motor I just finished:
Weight incl. fan: 2.2g
No load rpm: 75000
rpm with fan: 50000
Finally, I am getting some heat Need to hook up my watt's up for some real numbers, but I am getting closer to the desired power level...

Chris
That's pretty wild, Chris. Did you make the impellers or are they available?
jack hix is offline Find More Posts by jack hix
Old Mar 06, 2011, 02:15 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack hix View Post
That's pretty wild, Chris. Did you make the impellers or are they available?
It is a modified GWS edf30 rotor.

What amazes me is the precision you and Nitro can achieve when boring out the hub. How do you center it so well?
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Mar 06, 2011, 03:38 PM
Micro Jet Pilot
Joined Jul 2005
2,091 Posts
Talking about centering? That's what I am working on right now. This unit actually didn't come out as centered as the last one, which was perfect. The fan is a clipped edf30, I put a piece of aluminum in the lathe which had od identical to the id of the fan. Then I simply plugged the rotor on and lathed the hub off. The rim is the second one I did, both are not straight, it seems like the 0.7mm drill is not staying perfectly straight when going through the material. Same for the magnet spacer. The best I can do is to flip the parts and do the bores half way from each side. Better than doing it from one side. The lathe needs to be precise though. I still don't know if it is pure luck that the last motor runs so perfectly balanced without having done any balancing. I have to redo the rim to tell. This one was bored out from one side, which turned out worse.

Chris
Old Mar 06, 2011, 04:19 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
Very nice work Chris.
Old Mar 08, 2011, 12:50 PM
A.K.A sir Crashalot
Ístersund, SWEDEN
Joined Sep 2005
920 Posts
Try to let the drillbit stick out as little as possible so that it wont flex.i guess as little as 1mm would be enough.
/Ulf
methuso is offline Find More Posts by methuso
Old Mar 08, 2011, 05:11 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
...and feed it in s l o w l y so it doesn't try to worm into the softest part as it drills in.