HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 27, 2012, 02:36 PM
OpenSky
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Mar 2012
35 Posts
Great Job on fixing the plane. Hope to see it fly this weekend.
As you said, JSC doesn't seem to be promising this weekend. Maybe Tom Bass would be lesser of the risk this weekend.
Oh.. I did get my 770Kv motor, now I better understand what you mean by "too big" for the plane. I always wondered how big is big and I guess I found it.
Expecting the cub to be delivered today. Should have it assembled by tonight.
AXN is still in the repair queue thanks to a terrible week!
mganapa is offline Find More Posts by mganapa
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2012, 02:59 PM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mganapa View Post
Great Job on fixing the plane. Hope to see it fly this weekend.
As you said, JSC doesn't seem to be promising this weekend. Maybe Tom Bass would be lesser of the risk this weekend.
Oh.. I did get my 770Kv motor, now I better understand what you mean by "too big" for the plane. I always wondered how big is big and I guess I found it.
Expecting the cub to be delivered today. Should have it assembled by tonight.
AXN is still in the repair queue thanks to a terrible week!
Sorry to hear about the bad week!

I'll probably still go out to JSC very early to fly the Draken. It needs a much longer runway than Tom Bass. If you want to sell that motor I could keep as a backup for some of my planes that use that size. I've heard that it's not easy to return stuff to Hobby King. If you do, just let me know what you want for it.

Just keep in mind that your Cub will need winds less than 10 mph for sure. Not sure it would be a good weekend to maiden it.

Thanks for the comments on the Draken...I didn't think I would get it put back together but I have to see if it will fly again. I think it will...for at least a few minutes
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Catch Up 2013-2014
Old Apr 27, 2012, 03:18 PM
OpenSky
Joined Mar 2012
35 Posts
Russ

That sounds disappointing. I was hoping to fly my cub this weekend and make up for the terrible week. I shall still try. Starting next Tuesday, I am going to have a lot more time in my hands in the morning and evenings. I am considering a membership at TomBass depending on what happens next week.
I got the motor for ~$30. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=23332
Let me know if you want to buy it from me.
I also got a 3 blade prop for the AXN. Do you think that would give enough thrust to make it a little bit smoother?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 03:35 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mganapa View Post
That sounds disappointing. I was hoping to fly my cub this weekend and make up for the terrible week. I shall still try. Starting next Tuesday, I am going to have a lot more time in my hands in the morning and evenings. I am considering a membership at TomBass depending on what happens next week.
I got the motor for ~$30. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=23332
Let me know if you want to buy it from me.
I also got a 3 blade prop for the AXN. Do you think that would give enough thrust to make it a little bit smoother?
It should give it more power which is what you need. It will probably be a touch slower but you need POWER to keep that thing in the air.

I know what you mean...I so look forward to the weekends to fly off some of that stress. But better to fly another day than to add MORE stress with a broken new plane. If you bring it out to JSC early on Sunday, we'll give it a whirl but I'll definitely be gone by 10:00am with those winds.

Russ
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2012, 03:43 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,603 Posts
My other guy who has the Cub that I'm teaching...went out on his own to fly it without me last weekend on a 12 mph day and landed it okay, thank goodness, at Tom Bass Park but he walked about a mile over the creek and into the golf course to get it because he couldn't get it back to the field in the wind....I'm just sayin.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing! (Confuscious? Confused? somebody)
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2012, 03:59 PM
OpenSky
Joined Mar 2012
35 Posts
Very true..Mine is just wishful thinking. I will be working with the AXN if at all I have to fly by myself. It's a true X plane for me
I also have the quadrotor build to keep me busy during my free time. So I would have something to distract me from trying to fly by myself.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:30 AM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,603 Posts
Did anyone fly this weekend?

I surely didn't...just too darn windy...got caught up on sleep but I would have rather flown!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:02 AM
OpenSky
Joined Mar 2012
35 Posts
No flying here either

Russ,
I didn't go out to the field either. Noticed it was too windy for me to dare the maiden flight on J3. Noticed that this coming weekend is going to be much better.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 02:35 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,751 Posts
It was windy enough that I didn't even want to turn on the lawn sprinkler as the spray would have gone elsewhere than the grass.

Looks like I'll get some pre-work flights this week...if the Morpheus guys aren't using the field.
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Apr 30, 2012, 04:53 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,603 Posts
Yes this weekend looking like a GO. I'm going to prob get a flight or two at Tom Bass with my client/student during the week.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2012, 12:59 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,751 Posts
Got 2 packs thru the PZ P-51 this morning. Very light ground fog but cleared quickly. Not a hint of wind. The high grass did snag the plane harshly on landing though Hope they mow a bigger area than that few feet around the concrete.

This weekend is looking sweet...but I'm out of town Low wind and cloud (for shade), very nice.

Darn HobbyKing and their "Freebie" sales...made me spend my small stash of cash on a plane to get another free. Hopefully, I did get the free one as it went out of stock about an hour after I completed my purchase.
Old May 03, 2012, 02:05 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,603 Posts
Thanks Hung

Sorry to hear you won't be flying this weekend AGAIN!
Nice to hear about those planes...what did you get?

My F-86 Sabre should be here next Wednesday according to USPS predictions...it's been shipped from HK (USA Warehouse).

I didn't hear about the 2 for 1 deals...whassup with that?
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2012, 04:41 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,751 Posts
Apparently, HK started a "Freebie" thing a few months back. I don't know how you get on distro for it but on certain days, if you drop something in your shopping basket, a pop up window will alert you that if you buy over a certain limit, then you can click "buy" on the freebie item and it will show up in your basket with $0.

Word got out late yesterday afternoon that the JPower/FunFighter Wildcat was the freebie item of the day if you go over $100. I rushed home and saw 5 left in stock. I've been eyeing that and the JPower Skyraider so jumped on the Skyraider and a few lipos to get just over $100. Once my transaction was complete, the stock was down to 3. 1 hour later, it was -1. I'll find out soon how up to date their software is when I learn if I did get one or if mine is stuck under backorder group.

Update: as of 2pm, my order was dispatched from the USA warehouse...just hope both are in the "care package"
Old May 04, 2012, 07:31 AM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,603 Posts
Sweet!

I must order too often...they know I'll be ordering regularly so they don't entice me....maybe I just didn't pay attention
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2012, 08:59 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,751 Posts
I guess you can login to your HK account everyday and test drop a big item into your basket to see if a pop up appears for the freebie. Be warned that this could be a dangerous activity to your credit card

Had 2 lipos thru the Corsair at the nearby school this morning. My second plane...shows its age and has put up with my mistakes but is still a sweet flyer. Got my "fix" for the weekend at least.

Work on Pearland house is practically done and about ready for market so will have more time for JSC flying...if they mow the lawn.