HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Matt Gunn, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 06:29 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
4,863 Posts
Discussion
Computer Power Supply for Charger

The Radio Shack 15amp power supply has served me well for the past 5 years...unfortunately, the Hyperion DuoII charger could only charge my 6S 5000 packs at 4.5amps before it would thermal and shut down.

I found a "gaming computer" power supply at Best Buy today and scooped it up; A Corsair GS700. 700 watts (vs 240 watts from the Radio Shack) and 54 amps (vs 15) make this unit capable of pulling much bigger numbers...and it looks cool to boot. Changeable LED colors and a fan that I think was used to blow Fabio's hair around in commercials make it even better! It took me a few hours this afternoon to reduce the insane amount of wires coming out the back to a 4-pack of + and - leads.
If I can charge both my 6S packs at a 2S rate at the same time, then Ill be happy. Testing tomorrow.
Matt
Matt Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2011, 07:38 PM
I Toast Planes
Joined Jul 2010
945 Posts
How much was that whole setup you got going on?
bakon is offline Find More Posts by bakon
Old Feb 26, 2011, 08:15 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,202 Posts
Really sweet job Matt!

Do you have any pics of the back of the unit before you worked on the wiring? I am curious how much work needs to be done...
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Feb 26, 2011, 08:28 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
4,863 Posts
Heres the wiring harness out the back before I hacked it up.

Matt Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2011, 01:28 PM
Landin' On The Canopy BAD
Lee's Summit, MO
Joined Jan 2008
1,481 Posts
so its basically a portable charger or what? because i need something powerful like that, but idk for sure what it does!! could you show pictures of how you hacked it all up to get it to work?
F-86FLIER4LIFE is offline Find More Posts by F-86FLIER4LIFE