SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 05, 2003, 07:36 PM
Hornet Basher
College Station, TX
Joined Jan 2002
460 Posts
Regulated dc power supply a li-poly charger?

Ok, so Li-polys need a constant voltage regulated current charger, and as the cells charge, the current decreases until it will no longer take more juice at the voltage you are feeding it. Why couldn't we just use power supplies that do this? I own a regulated dc power supply with adjustable current and voltage. You can set the voltage at 0-30v and 0-5 amps and you can set it so the voltage stays constant and amps vary from your max setting to 0.

Does this sound right?
The internal regulator gives the battery what current it wants up to a dialed in amount and the voltage can be set on any value up to 30v.

BTW I believe this power supply was $100-125 if anyone is interested, but from a local electronics shop so no website.
Hodgepodge is offline Find More Posts by Hodgepodge
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2003, 08:08 PM
Purveyor of RC-Opiates
California
Joined Jan 2003
1,195 Posts
That will work perfectly. Most of us do not have the $500+ dollars that a lab supply such as that would cost.

I actually have one from an auction I went to. They are excellent Li-Poly chargers. That was my first charger for lithiums. However, I really like the way the Orbit RC charger tells me the capacity after charging, this really helps me keep tabs on how good my batteries are.

For your lab supply just set the volatge to 4.2V per cell, and set the current to 1C. It will do the constant current phase and the constant voltage phase on its own.

-Dave

LightFlightRC.com
LightFlightRC is offline Find More Posts by LightFlightRC
Last edited by LightFlightRC; Aug 05, 2003 at 08:32 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2003, 12:16 AM
Hornet Basher
College Station, TX
Joined Jan 2002
460 Posts
I remember it being in the $120 range and definately not 500+! I would not have bought it at that price (plus it is very handy for testing small motors)
Hodgepodge is offline Find More Posts by Hodgepodge