HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 05, 2003, 06:10 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,204 Posts
Scorpio Aquila 2 or simlar electric glider

Hi there! After losing my second Early Bird electric glider (left wing ripped off in high speed dive ) I've been looking around for a replacement - I've been particularly attracted to the Scorpio Aquila 2 for the following reasons!
  • It's so massive!! 214cm wing length!!
  • It's got ailerons - I've stretched elevator/rudder configurations to their limits and I want a chance to widen my flying skills
  • It can be used as both an aerobatic electric glider (something I've ALWAYS wanted to get my hands on!) and can also perform as a slope soarer (equally cool!!!)
  • It will work with my 2.8:1 gearboxed Speed 600 which was for my Early Bird (now ex-Early Bird )
  • It's price! 99! (which because I was a staff member at my LHS can be knocked down to about 80!!
So I'm looking for first hand reports on how it flies and all the nitty-gritty of what it's like as an electric glider!

Oh, the first thing I need to know (which I should have mentioned earlier ) is whether the darn thing is still available!!! It's still up on the Ripmax website, but in the pricelist it says 'temporarily unavailable'! And since that page hasn't been updated since 2002, I'm a little concerned it may have been discontinued!!

If indeed it has been discontinued can anyone recommend to me an electric glider that:
  • Has ailerons
  • Can be flown with a gearboxed Speed 600
  • Can handle aerobatic manouevres (ie. not using such a flimsy structure like the Early Bird whose wings can fold mid-flight during pretty plain manouevres - like diving!!!!)
Many thanks for any and every reply!!
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2003, 05:12 AM
Tel Aviv-Yafo Sde Dov, Israel
Joined Apr 1999
1,877 Posts
the Aquila 2 is an excellent sailplane. exactly what you are looking for. we love it.
take a look at Patrick's site for some videos and photos of it - http://plawner.net/

I think it was discontinued due to high production costs but I'm not sure. maybe Patrick wil join in on the thread...

good luck, Oded.
oded mazor is offline Find More Posts by oded mazor
Old Aug 06, 2003, 05:36 AM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,204 Posts
Excellent!!! Thanks for replying! I emailed Scorpio and indeed they said it has been out of production for the last year, but they do still have some stock in their Czech distributing branch! Hopefully I can get my LHS to buy one from them and sell it to me at their usual discount! Otherwise I might have to order direct ...

I also PM'd Patrick and he said he got it from a friend who got it from Euro Model in Paris .... didn't say when though ... oh well!
Old Aug 06, 2003, 07:04 AM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,204 Posts
As it happens when I rang my LHS they said that the amount of money I'd need to spend on import tax, and international shipping would not be worth it - he then recommended the JP Easy Oriole which so far looks like quite an impressive machine - he knows 3 people who've had them and they've all been over the moon with it!!

Does anyone here have any experience with that plane? It's also an aerobatic glider with ailerons, but it has a smaller wingspan ... so long as I can shove my gearboxed Speed 600 in there I don't mind!
Old Aug 06, 2003, 08:21 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
9,972 Posts
I think we're talking about two different planes. Patrick's is a Scorpio Palio Sport and has straighter wings, with winglets, and is Italian made.
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away
Old Aug 06, 2003, 09:23 AM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,204 Posts
It wasn't his Aquila - a friend of his was flying it I think - the movie's here:

http://rcgroups.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2603

So does anyone have any comments about this plane?

Old Aug 06, 2003, 04:19 PM
Joined Apr 1999
1,877 Posts
let's make some order :

the Aquila in Patrick's site belongs to my brother Uri (who is also Patrick's friend). let me know if you have any questions what so ever regarding this model. if I can not answer directly, I'll ask my brother (the Aquila owner).

as for the "easy oriole", it is a step down from the Aquila. it's a chinese made model. for example : plastic fuselage vs. fiber (gel coated) fuselage in the Aquila. the wings are built to perfection in the Aquila, I would not trust the wings of the easy oriole to stand high G manouvers. in addition, the easy oriole is a very old design (over 5 years). I'm sorry I'm letting you down but these two models are hard to compare.
the advantage of the Aquila is that it's a high quality model but does not cost that much.

Patrick's plane by the way is the scorpio palio sport, flies nice but not really meant for aerobatics.

if you could wait with your purchase just a little longer, I'll try to think of some other model...

regards, Oded.
Old Aug 06, 2003, 04:29 PM
Joined Apr 1999
1,877 Posts
just thought of a candidate - http://www.espritmodel.com/sailplane_elec_Mefisto.html

it's made by Reichard (czech). see if you can get this one in the UK. I'll keep thinking... (-:
Old Aug 06, 2003, 04:46 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,204 Posts
Thanks for your comments - I've taken them onboard! I'm not going to be purchasing for a week or two, and if Scorpio can get their act together and get their final Aquilas shipped I may well become an owner!!
Old Aug 07, 2003, 02:12 AM
Turbines suck ;-)
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Mar 2000
1,636 Posts
A clubmate had one until the horozontal stabiliser failed doing mild aerobatics!!

It is a poor design and /or badly manufactured because the grain of the wood runs from the root to the tip of the stab. If I remember correctly,the stab is fitted via pins in the fuz which, go into holes drilled in the root of the stab - so there is very little wood left for strength AND the grain runs the wrong way and thus provides no strength.

Being ARTF this flaw was not noticed until the loss of the plane.

It was a very nice flier and I suppose if you are not going to do aerobatics, it might be OK!
rorywquin is offline Find More Posts by rorywquin
Old Aug 07, 2003, 05:12 AM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,204 Posts
Quote:
A clubmate had one until the horozontal stabiliser failed doing mild aerobatics!!
Is this the Oriole we're talking of here?
Old Aug 07, 2003, 05:57 AM
United States, CA, Burlingame
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
Hi

Mephisto looks really good !
I prefer the Aquilla II to my Palio Sport as the Palio is much more of a Glider, and I made a mistake there, I thought it would be in between.
The Aquilla is really good looking and well made and IS aerobatic.

Uri flew it doing nice aerobatics, and the plane behaved well, so far.

Still, Oded's suggestion on the Mephisto deserves attention. As for when Uri got his plane, I think around 3 months ago.
Patrick Plawner is offline Find More Posts by Patrick Plawner
Old Aug 07, 2003, 06:02 AM
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
Hogster,

nice web site ....
Old Aug 07, 2003, 06:17 AM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,204 Posts
Hi again!

Well I rang my LHS and they said they could probably get the Mefisto Electric in in about 2 weeks ....

I'm still waiting for another reply from Scorpio regarding the availability of the Aquila ...

Which particular part of my website do you like then Patrick?!
Old Aug 07, 2003, 06:19 AM
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
The planes, of course... What, did I miss anything else ??