SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 26, 2011, 03:33 PM
Portugal, Azores, Conceicao
Joined Jan 2011
57 Posts
Discussion
Solo Pro or Solo Free Spirit 220a

I'm looking at both these models and there's only a few dollars difference between them. This will be my first single rotor fp heli. I'm moving up from a some 3 ch and a 4 ch coax. Blade strikes on the coax are driving me nuts and I need something I can move outdoors with on calm days, and uses a 2.4g radio. I'm comfortable with the 45 degree flybar making it stable because I'm not as young as I used to be

I have no lhs within 30 miles of me, so I'll take all the advice I can get here.
Thanks.

tim
frekin is offline Find More Posts by frekin
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2011, 03:52 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,674 Posts
The Solo Pro can be flown outside on a calm day very well, and is more widely available. The Free Spirit seems to be a nice heli as well but I haven't flown it personally, so I can't compare. I know the Solo Pro is smaller though, making it more suitable for indoor when the weather doesn't permit outdoor flight. It's lighter weight will make it less vulnerable to crash damage as well.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old May 15, 2011, 11:40 AM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Mar 2011
342 Posts
Did you make your Choice?

Frekin:
How did you come out? I assume that you made your choice, right?
I just noticed this thread, and since I have both the Solo Pro V2 and the Free Spirit 220A (not the micro version), I thought I would comment.
My opinions:
1) The Solo Pro is the easiest to fly out of the box. I had to move the battery frame to its most forward position on my Free Spirit before it would behave.
2) Parts for the Solo Pro are somewhat cheaper than for the Free Spirit. Be sure to get the aftermarket Xtreme landing skid for the Solo Pro, the stock skids break easily. The Xtreme skid (Miracle Mart, Club Heli, others) is about twice as much ($8ea), but you won't have to replace it.
3) Both helis are fixed pitch. Since the Free Spirit is much larger, it is also faster. The landing skid on the Free Spirit is also too fragile, but I fashioned landing gear from a rubber coated clothes hanger,
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1416738
that works great and I don't think will EVER break.
4) Great prices can be had for both of them. Don't overlook the Free Spirit from MRC:
http://www.modelrec.com/search/produ...w.asp?ID=11578
($60) and if you like the look of the Kestrel 500SX, you can convert the Free Spirit to a Kestrel 500SX with what you saved (they both use the same frame and working parts). I think the Free Spirit is more durable than the Kestrel, but I personally prefer the looks of the Kestrel. I bought the parts for the conversion, but am still having a great time flying it as a Free Spirit.
5) The landing skids and main shafts on both the Solo Pro and Free Spirit are the only (well, most) prone to breakage. Get a couple extra when you buy so that you won't be stuck waiting weeks when you break your first one.

Let us know what you decided and how you are doing.
Virginia Jim is offline Find More Posts by Virginia Jim
Last edited by Virginia Jim; May 15, 2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old Jun 02, 2011, 02:49 PM
Joined May 2011
42 Posts
thanks for the infos guys
McCauley is offline Find More Posts by McCauley
Old Jun 02, 2011, 04:54 PM
Yorkshire, UK
Joined Feb 2007
951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Jim View Post
Frekin:
How did you come out? I assume that you made your choice, right?..........

.............Let us know what you decided and how you are doing.
Looks like he opted for a Uflys. Brave, for a first single rotor, but he seems to be managing pretty well.

For others who might have the same question, the larger Free Spirit 220 is a nice, tough heli, but I suspect it may be superceded by the new, about to be released, Solo Pro 328.
ranavalona is online now Find More Posts by ranavalona
Old Jun 02, 2011, 08:04 PM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Mar 2011
342 Posts
Rana:
Thanks for that information on Frekin.
Do you have any details on the 328A?
I've only seen one photo and basic specs on the Club Heli site:
http://www.clubheli.com/PREORDER--Ni...ED_p_3254.html
VJ
Virginia Jim is offline Find More Posts by Virginia Jim
Old Jun 02, 2011, 08:23 PM
Yorkshire, UK
Joined Feb 2007
951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Jim View Post
Rana:
Thanks for that information on Frekin.
Do you have any details on the 328A?
I've only seen one photo and basic specs on the Club Heli site:
http://www.clubheli.com/PREORDER--Ni...ED_p_3254.html
VJ
Nope, VJ. Don't know any more than you, I guess. Just speculation and vids on the 328 thread;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1441182

Real shame about the TX incompatability.
ranavalona is online now Find More Posts by ranavalona
Old Jun 04, 2011, 06:35 PM
Portugal, Azores, Conceicao
Joined Jan 2011
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranavalona View Post
Looks like he opted for a Uflys. Brave, for a first single rotor, but he seems to be managing pretty well.
Brave? I call it foolhardy

If I were to do it again, I'd choose differently. This was a huge learning curve and cost me some time and money in parts. I've got it under control now though.

Next stop is CP.

tim
frekin is offline Find More Posts by frekin