SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by gardleopard, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 06:40 AM
Asker, Norway
Joined Jan 2010
105 Posts
Build Log
Polaris 100% scratchbuild

My Polaris is now ready for her maiden.

Motor A2212-6
ESC 40A mystery
3x SG90 Servos
3s 2150 25C rhino lipo
Weight 20.65 ounces (AUW).

I'm planning to sand and paint her if the maiden is a success. The weight unpainted is a tad higher than I hoped for, so I'm a tad worried about performance after paint.

I have added bamboo bbq sticks to LE to make it stronger and give it a simple "airfoil" at the same time.
gardleopard is offline Find More Posts by gardleopard
Last edited by gardleopard; Mar 08, 2011 at 04:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2011, 07:20 AM
Joined Jan 2011
2 Posts
Nice!

Looks awesome! Will follow your blog stuff more often. Terry
Morgan1880 is offline Find More Posts by Morgan1880
Old Feb 26, 2011, 04:30 PM
Asker, Norway
Joined Jan 2010
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan1880 View Post
Looks awesome! Will follow your blog stuff more often. Terry
Thank you Terry! I hope it looks better when I paint the fuse as well, she'll get blue on bottom and top and yellow on the sides.

I was out taxi testing her in 5 cm fresh and wet snow now, nice control and plenty of power to come loose if it is a little rough Hope to maiden her tomorrow if the weather allows it.
Old Mar 01, 2011, 01:34 PM
Asker, Norway
Joined Jan 2010
105 Posts
Maiden

I flew my 100% polaris for the first time tonight. It flew great and only needed minimal trimming. However I got surprised by radio glitches only 200 meters away from me. I think it can because of the antenna placed to close to the motor wires, but I'm not sure. First flight ended in no radio connection and nose down in the snow (no damage). I moved to the middle of the lake (ice and snow) and flew about 10 minutes with lots of take-off and landings close to me. I'm attaching images of my antenna and would be super glad to get some thoughts about it.
Old Mar 05, 2011, 03:02 PM
Asker, Norway
Joined Jan 2010
105 Posts
I've replaced the RX and my polaris works like a charm Here is a little video of it flying.

RC Polaris on Drengsrudvann (6 min 13 sec)
Old Mar 05, 2011, 03:32 PM
Asker, Norway
Joined Jan 2010
105 Posts
Taxing at night

I flew my Polaris at night a couple of nights ago. I filmed while taxing around, but not while flying.

Taxing at night (0 min 57 sec)
Old Mar 08, 2011, 04:38 PM
Asker, Norway
Joined Jan 2010
105 Posts
My Polaris got a few nose landings when I had the bad receiver in it. Now that the new rx is working great I've started working on her looks.

Sparkle, sand and paint

355 grams before paint without propeller, battery and hatch. Wonder how much weight the paint and tape adds.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 05:22 PM
Asker, Norway
Joined Jan 2010
105 Posts
Just another video

Flying in the dusk on snow.
RC Polaris flying in dusk on snow (3 min 35 sec)
Old Mar 15, 2011, 04:05 PM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Apr 2008
1,049 Posts
What Rx failed on you?

I have the same glitches with a Berg 4. Did not happen till I ran new batteries, so I think the base load antenna along the bottom of the fuse is getting blanked out as it only happens in sharp turns towards me.

Glad you were able to fix yours. I would have thought the antenna folded partially back like that would have cut the effective range quite a bit.
Cougar429 is online now Find More Posts by Cougar429
Old Mar 15, 2011, 04:52 PM
Asker, Norway
Joined Jan 2010
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar429 View Post
What Rx failed on you?

I have the same glitches with a Berg 4. Did not happen till I ran new batteries, so I think the base load antenna along the bottom of the fuse is getting blanked out as it only happens in sharp turns towards me.

Glad you were able to fix yours. I would have thought the antenna folded partially back like that would have cut the effective range quite a bit.
The RX that failed on me was a hitec HFD-06MN.

I'm no guru at all regarding receivers, but I did get great help in the Polaris thread. In short they told me to keep the antenna away from battery wires, motor wires, esc and carbon to get maximum performance.

The new receiver I put in is a cheap china receiver with shorter antenna. The antenna route is at the LE of the wing and at the wingtip the last 15 cm or so of it is hanging loose.

Hope this can help you on your research, it isn't nice to have glitches on the Polaris
Old Mar 15, 2011, 05:26 PM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Apr 2008
1,049 Posts
I've been on that thread for quite a while and posted a vid showing the glitches on Youtube. You really see it around the 6 minute mark:

Polaris Glitching (7 min 42 sec)

As soon as I'm done the current project I was planning on going after that problem next.
Cougar429 is online now Find More Posts by Cougar429
Last edited by Cougar429; Mar 15, 2011 at 08:13 PM.