SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 25, 2011, 08:37 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
United States, TX, Garland
Joined May 2005
3,343 Posts
Cool
Dons Wicked powered GWS A-10 W Video!

I prolly spent to much time on this but the end result so far came out great!Its fully glassed with a thick CF spar from wingtip to wingtip,also CF in pylons and across the horizontal stab.I sealed up all the joints,it came in that ugly green color,I sanded all that and did a camo paint job.
The power is Dons Wicked 4800s in the 56mm fans,and have a 4500 3s lipo in it.The A-10 does better than hover at full throttle and I should have long flight times,if weathers good tommarro,I will get some video of its 1st flight...Joe
fh64_lucky is offline Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by fh64_lucky; Feb 27, 2011 at 10:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2011, 03:54 AM
Aylesbury,UK
Joined Apr 2000
1,000 Posts
Looks good Part way through building mine, opened up the front of the fuz with the canopy section coming off for batterys (3S 2200) and have a couple of 3800kv's in GWS 55mm fans. Hoping they will run ok!
How did you do the full wing spar? I have a piece of carbon rod replacing the bamboo stick, but I'm not sure on how to approach extending it along the outer panels where the dihedral starts. Only way I can see is cut new grooves with the carbon rod overlapping slightly, then roughing the carbon rod overlap up to allow some foam ca to penetrate and hopefully make a reasonable joint.
Stuey is offline Find More Posts by Stuey
Old Feb 26, 2011, 06:22 AM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Joined May 2005
3,343 Posts
Hi Stuey,
I cut a slit on the top of the wing that goes right in front of servo bay.The wing is pretty thick so the slot is deeper in middle and near ends of wing the rectangular CF stock still sits flush.I then mixed up some 30 minute epoxy,and poured it into slot and then pushed the CF into that.After it dries I use light weight spackle and fill whats left level to wing and then sand that down.Glass wing with lightweight cloth and your done,a no flex wing that will take the load of anything you throw at it.... Joe
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2011, 06:26 AM
Joined Dec 2004
497 Posts
Very nice Will you use landing gear or hand launch?
Frank
skrez is offline Find More Posts by skrez
Old Feb 26, 2011, 06:32 AM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Joined May 2005
3,343 Posts
Underhand throw.....Gear just wont look right hanging down,its built like a tank so belly landing should be no problem...thanks!Joe
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2011, 08:43 AM
Aylesbury,UK
Joined Apr 2000
1,000 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Just got round to wiring up and testing the fans and they seem to be ok, so I can get on with some more building. Got about 20A on the 3S pack per fan, so something around 350-400 watts on the cards. Should go ok with that
Old Feb 26, 2011, 09:03 AM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Joined May 2005
3,343 Posts
Keep it light and should be good....
I just got back from 1st flight...nobody was out there!I flew it anyways,have to get video later but man,did it fly GREAT!!Lots of power,I tried some yank n banks to check for any wing flex and there was none.Flies perfect,loops from level were too easy,not my typicle speed jets but I did not want to do that with this one.1 thing,It was QUIET...I could hear wind noise over the fans,and they sound awsum,so smooth!Underhand toss was easy also,power pushed it right up.Gonna have some fun with this one... Joe
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2011, 10:32 AM
Aylesbury,UK
Joined Apr 2000
1,000 Posts
I found some 1x3mm carbon strip, so I have added a section under each outer wing panel overlapping the centre carbon rod, which I will epoxy together. It is glued in vertically after cutting a 3-4mm deep groove and gradually widening to 1mm for a snug fit. Might not be the strongest spar, but it is strong bending in that direction. I also put in a piece spanning the tailplane. I can see tomorrow when the glue has gone off how much it has helped.
Glad to hear your maiden went well
Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:54 AM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Joined May 2005
3,343 Posts
There were heavy winds 15-20 mph and very overcast but hey...its an A-10!!
GWS A-10.MOV (3 min 25 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2011, 05:16 PM
Travelin' Trailer Trash
St. John, WA
Joined Jun 2008
62 Posts
Wow!

Just stumbled on this...
SU-U-H-W-E-ET!!!
Beautiful build, great flying...and yes, the wonderful sound of those Don's Wicked fans!!
Congrats!
speycast

PS My Habu 32 will be here anyday...and when I am finished with that (hopefully gonna put one of Tam's new 80 mm's in it?!), I am going to have to find projects for Don's fans??
Hmmm...you have given me an idea!! Thanks...
speycast is offline Find More Posts by speycast
Old Feb 28, 2011, 04:09 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Joined May 2005
3,343 Posts
Tahnk you speycast....I am going to have fun with this A-10,it has best of everything going for it.Joe
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2011, 04:24 PM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,727 Posts
Joe...as usual...outstanding build and flying...!!!!
-Dave
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old Feb 28, 2011, 06:15 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Joined May 2005
3,343 Posts
Thanks Dave!It was worth it to cut the top of the wing and place the CF spar all the way across,and then glass it,the jet flies so crisp.The duel aileron servos made for a nice and axial roll also.I figure it is in the 70mph range,was not interested in high speeds,A-10s are not supposed to be fast,just nimble!Joe
RCG Plus Member