HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 05, 2003, 09:17 AM
I ain't got it!!!
USA, SC, Spartanburg
Joined Apr 2001
867 Posts
Dymond in San Diego - Anyone else have this happen?

I sent via postal service (Priority Mail) a PJS 1000 motor and Jeti 30-P controller to Dymond in San Diego. I got a call last night saying the package arrived, but there was no motor or controller in the tube. Yes I had it insured. But the guy I spoke with (Dick) said that this happens all the time, and that they are not surprised by it anymore. I wish they had told me this before I sent this stuff via the postal service...maybe I would have used Fed Ex or UPS.

How often does this happen? Now I have to go through the rigamaroll of paperwork and hassle with the post office to try to recoup my loss. Has anyone else experienced this with either the postal service or with Dymond?

Adam
Flying Low is offline Find More Posts by Flying Low
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2003, 12:00 PM
sal
NSP (Vermont)
Joined Aug 2000
2,695 Posts
Your post is unfair to the vendor. Why would you blame the vendor for this problem. YOU sent the package and you sent it via USPS.

Sending packages to the LA area of the country will always result in more theft and missing stuff. It has been like this for many years. You can never quarantee that the package will safely arrive in one piece with any of the shippers. At least, FedEx and UPS have tracking that can tell you where the package is at any given moment in the shipping cycle. This certainly helps with getting the insurance paid quicker. With USPS you will be 6 months trying to collect and that's if you are lucky.
sal is offline Find More Posts by sal
Last edited by sal; Aug 05, 2003 at 12:03 PM.
Old Aug 05, 2003, 12:18 PM
I ain't got it!!!
USA, SC, Spartanburg
Joined Apr 2001
867 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sal
Your post is unfair to the vendor. Why would you blame the vendor for this problem.
I am not blaming the vendor. I merely asked if it had happened to anyone else. And if Dymond is aware that things like this happen, they should let people know that when they sent packages to them to perhaps make other arrangements than the postal service.

I'm the one who's out the $$$.

Quote:

Sending packages to the LA area of the country will always result in more theft and missing stuff. It has been like this for many years.
I must have missed the memo on this. How do you know?
Flying Low is offline Find More Posts by Flying Low
Old Aug 06, 2003, 03:07 AM
Airplane Addict
NorthWest Houston
Joined May 2003
293 Posts
San Diego isn't L.A. county and I never had problems with USPS when I lived their. I ordered various expensive items while I was there!

I agree, that if the vendor said it happens all the time, then the vendor just stuck their foot in their mouth!

I was told by a native californian that I was in a different country because of that red star on the flag.

Just glad their isn't a sickle on their too
TRAVO is offline Find More Posts by TRAVO
Old Aug 06, 2003, 07:52 AM
toothpick maker
Hollywood, MD
Joined Mar 2003
145 Posts
I have to disagree with you Sal. The vendor does have some responsibility in this matter. If this is a constant problem the vendor has receiving packages, then it is their job to inform the customer and recommend a shipping method.

Also I believe the vendor should be going one step further. The fact that an empty box arrived would lead me to believe that joe blow off the street did not swipe it from the mail truck. If he did he wouldn't have taken the time to open the box, remove what was in it and toss the empty box back in the truck. He would have taken the box, especially a small one like what would be used for a motor, opened it up somewhere else and pitched the box. Heck I'll even go one step further, if Joe Blow opened it, he probabaly would have tossed the whole thing back not knowing what the heck it was other than a worthless piece of junk(I'm going to say the people who would recognize the value of a brushless model RC motor are in the minority).

This would lead to one of two suspects, either A) a postal employee or B) a Dymond employee(someone in receiving could easily pull this off and unlike most, they would actually know what they had). While I know Dymond can not initiate the insurance claim because they are not the sender, they can and should report these types of thefts to the post office and keep a record of them so that they can investigate it and also they need to take a closer look at their own staff. There is something very fishy about an empty package arriving.
Hollywood Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Hollywood Flyer
Old Aug 06, 2003, 09:15 AM
no place like cloudbase
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Aug 2002
487 Posts
I am with Hollywood on this. If the vendor mentioned that this has happened before then the vendor should make policy to advise the customer. Is the vendor responsible ultimately, I say not at all. The box arriving empty is very questionable indeed. Insurance claim is a hassle but now neccesary.

I would venture a thief might be able to learn what he has by reading the stickers on the item and then looking it up on the internet. Then Ebay auction only a few keystrokes away.

A sorta similar thing happened to me. Early in my r/c career I made a multiple item purchase from Hobby People and had to return some of the items. I got a call from HP when they got the package saying there was a new working ~$45 receiver listed on my return list but that it was not in the box. Out of habit I check everything twice before sending a mailing and I am certain it was included. So there we sat silently on the phone, eventually I reply that I am certain I put the receiver in the box. He says "nope". I then spoke to a manager and he says "nope". I decided to let it go. I considered getting my credit card co. involved but decided against doing that. I decided to never ever deal with Hobby People again. Since then I only buy from vendors that I read about right here on Ezone. THANK YOU EZONE. IF the vendor gets crumby reviews here, they get no business from me.

Leigh
freeflight is offline Find More Posts by freeflight
Old Aug 07, 2003, 01:59 AM
xen
US
Joined Nov 2001
148 Posts
Dymond in San Diego is a very fishy store. Helmut is a deceiving person so watch out.
xen is offline Find More Posts by xen
Old Aug 07, 2003, 07:34 PM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2002
49 Posts
San Diego Dymond

This thread is getting a bit twisted. The shipping problem is interesting and informative. The shot at Dymond is not backed up by any specifics. I have had many successful transactions with Dymond since they came to San Diego. I think they are a first rate establishment.
Roger P is offline Find More Posts by Roger P
Old Aug 07, 2003, 09:03 PM
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,570 Posts
Let's go a little easy on words like "deceiving" please. There is no value added, and it is inflammatory. If you can cite specifics, please do so, without being pejorative.
MrMootsie is offline Find More Posts by MrMootsie
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 07, 2003, 10:13 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
I've bought from Dymond RC many times and always had excellent service, fast shipping etc. etc... ... Just wanted to let people know my experience..
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Aug 08, 2003, 12:00 AM
Airplane Addict
NorthWest Houston
Joined May 2003
293 Posts
I've drooled over my computer looking at their website (dymond R/C).

It's good to hear they send their orders out ricky tik and that people are happy.

Looks like the only problem is shipping returns back.
Has this been resolved? Is Dymond gonna say anything on their behalf and what conclusions have the thread starter come to??????????????????????????????????????
TRAVO is offline Find More Posts by TRAVO
Old Aug 08, 2003, 12:06 PM
Joined May 2000
754 Posts
Is Dymond up to no good? Are they responsible?

My little story is that I bought a Jeti 30/3 from them at the Mid Winter Electrics in San Diego last Feb. After getting home, I found that the motor was faulty(surprise to me)and I sent the motor back down to Dymond. Many months later, many long distance calls, being told the motor was out of stock, I decided to get tricky.
I called the store, (disguised voice)and ordered a motor. They said they would send one right out. Then I told them who I was(red faces maybe?) They said they would send the motor, which they did.
Is this any way to run a company? You decide.
Sorry for the dissertation...
partoftheproblm is offline Find More Posts by partoftheproblm
Old Aug 09, 2003, 04:37 PM
CA and NH
Joined Oct 2001
449 Posts
You guys should always watch out what you buy from Dymond in San Diego. Bad manner, unprofessional, bad business practice, shady, etc.... I can only relate my experiences and I have quite a few people who agreed with me. Check out:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=dymond+helmut

Roger or Tim, if you would do a search query on Dymond, you can probably find more bad experiences with them.
xadmin is offline Find More Posts by xadmin
Last edited by xadmin; Aug 09, 2003 at 04:39 PM.
Old Aug 09, 2003, 06:21 PM
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,570 Posts
just here to enforce the standards, not to comment on the vendors.

cheers,
Tim
MrMootsie is offline Find More Posts by MrMootsie
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 13, 2003, 07:56 PM
Joined Aug 2003
10 Posts
You must realize that the USPS treats the various classes of packages differently and generally you will get what you pay for. Example, if you send a package out that is not insured,certified or registered it is considered a non accountable package meaning it is not signed for by anyone and no one really knows where it is and its generally treated like your luggage at the airport. Now had the package been open when recieved at the post office the clerk should have made note of this on the package this helps with claims. if the package was sent certified or insured some one would have to sign for it at the post office that you sent it from and at the post office that it was addressed to, while in transit the package is basicly unaccounted for. now if you really want to make sure it gets where you want it to go send it registered, registered mail has a paper trail where ever it goes and is treated much more carefully than any thing else, of course special packaging regulations are also in effect and the post office willnot accept it untill it meets these regulations. also these three types (certfied, insured, registered) often get to their final destination in less time than regular mail. of course this is not a complete discription of all services availible through the post you should check them out for yourself. I may also be of somewhat to because I worked for the USPS in Germany and regs may be different here in the states. but for the most part insured mail only took about 3 days to get there!
iron bulldog is offline Find More Posts by iron bulldog