SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 24, 2011, 05:56 PM
Panzer Killer
North Richland Hills, TX
Joined Jan 2011
57 Posts
Discussion
HL Pershing Build - Work In Progress

Well, I got my first tank in a while back - a Pershing I bought through MatoMart (I'm going to get the rest of mine through Phil - it came from Mato with a broken airsoft gun and the turret wouldn't elevate. I'm also not buying any more airsoft versions - IR all the way now.) I did opt for the metal tracks and metal gearboxes.

I ordered some cammo netting and scale accessories from Phil today. That should add some to it. I'm also trying to figure out how to add a mantlet dust cover. Maybe a scrap of an old shirt glued in place and painted?

Anyway, I've only run it about 15 minutes total. I've had it since late January.

I used to be a fairly decent scale modeler some years ago. I also did some R/C stuff. I felt this hobby combines my love of those things plus my love of history and all things mechanical.

My main desire with this thread is to show you my progress detailing/weathering it. I'm not saying I'm good at that by any means - I just want your feedback and ideas. There are some EXTREMELY talented (and nice!!) people on this board and I value all of your opinions/ideas.

These are some of the few pics I've taken. All with my iPhone so the quality isn't great.

Comment/critique away!! I'll be adding pics as I get more things done to it.

By the way, I'm doing a WWII version of the M26. So my weathering isn't going to be severe since it saw so little action near the end of the war.

First pic: Bone stock except for the metal tracks
Second pic: In the paint shop (lol) I used Model Master Olive Drab #34087
Third pic: Some detailing with some Testors 1138 Grey to simulate paint
rubbing off due to repeated surface contacts
Fourth pic: Road Wheel Detail. This took WAY longer than I expected. After painting the whole thing OD, I had to go back by hand and paint the black sections on the outer edges of all the wheels. I'm sure you Pershing guys know what I mean.
Fifth pic: Trying to simulate rusty spots with some Testors "Rust" color and thinner mix.
Sixth pic: Machine Gun Detail.
Steel Thunder is offline Find More Posts by Steel Thunder
Last edited by Steel Thunder; Feb 24, 2011 at 06:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2011, 07:56 PM
Semper Fi
Northern Triaid North Carolina
Joined Jun 2008
1,013 Posts
Looking good!
GreenAmphibian is offline Find More Posts by GreenAmphibian
Old Feb 24, 2011, 09:08 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,857 Posts
Hello from don

HELLO Steel thunder . Looks were going down the same road. I have the same tank as you only completly stock out of the box. BUT Like YOU I did a compleat repaint and added some more detale. I Am playing and trying to learn. SO maybe both of us will be able to learn together. I know very little about tanks myself. I know ship. truck and cars and a lttle about aircraft. BUT tanks are a compeatly new to me . YES YOUR DOING one good job on paint work. I know what your saying about the wheel painting but I cheated when I did mind I put paper to cover everthing and then went back to paint the inter wheels.
YOU have gave me some ideas as well thank you on some more detale in dealing with Paint..
I have the hing long not trying to high jack your sight at all . I am happy to see ya and i just wanted to share with you myself. I dont have the sound system or the christals that you can swap out I have the A and B switch in the lower RT hand corner. Look to fine out how to do some up dating. DON THE Rustbucket
Rustbucket is online now Find More Posts by Rustbucket
Old Feb 24, 2011, 09:32 PM
USMC 0341
Blue Ridge Mountains of VA
Joined Dec 2010
53 Posts
Steel Thunder,

Nice job, I am working on the same tank. I havent painted mine yet but am going to, did you purchase your paint from a hobby shop, and if you dont mind what did you use to paint it.

Thanks, Jim
Devildog is offline Find More Posts by Devildog
Old Feb 24, 2011, 10:22 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,857 Posts
HELLO THIS IS DON I use the testers paint spary can. I am willing to answer any questions if I can. I am looking into a sound system later down the line..
Old Feb 24, 2011, 10:24 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,857 Posts
O Steel thunder I went back and look over your paint work I see you remove your rear wheels or hubs can you tell me how you did that one . I was not sure on how it was done that is why I papered over mind then went back and painted in the centers . Thankyou again DON
Old Feb 24, 2011, 10:27 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,857 Posts
1265 flat oliva drab testers is what I use. By the way I am going to keep an eye on the other Pershing sight. SO I may be able to learn along with the rest of ya. Like I said all of this is new but looks like fun. DON THE rustbucket.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:08 AM
Panzer Killer
North Richland Hills, TX
Joined Jan 2011
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAmphibian View Post
Looking good!
Thanks!!
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:12 AM
Panzer Killer
North Richland Hills, TX
Joined Jan 2011
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Steel Thunder,

Nice job, I am working on the same tank. I havent painted mine yet but am going to, did you purchase your paint from a hobby shop, and if you dont mind what did you use to paint it.

Thanks, Jim
Thanks, Jim!!! I purchased my paint at my local Hobby Lobby. As for your question, I'm using Model Master Olive Drab #34087 for the exterior.

I'm just glad the Pershings were monochromatic instead of cammo. It's going to take me a while to get good enough to paint cammo patterns. Not to mention - I gotta spend more $ on an airbrush kit.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:17 AM
Panzer Killer
North Richland Hills, TX
Joined Jan 2011
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustbucket View Post
O Steel thunder I went back and look over your paint work I see you remove your rear wheels or hubs can you tell me how you did that one . I was not sure on how it was done that is why I papered over mind then went back and painted in the centers . Thankyou again DON
Don, there is an allen-head screw that holds the rear drive wheels on. Just unscrew it and wiggle the wheels off.
And thanks for your kind words, too!! Your Pershing is looking great!! Glad I could give you some ideas. Us Pershing guys have to stick together. I think we're outnumbered by those German fellers. :P
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:22 AM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,857 Posts
HELLO Steel. YUP I have to agree with ya .;-) Looks like right now we have 3 of us on the team. Thank you for the answer I will look mind over. NOW all of us can learn together on the tricks on how up improve our tanks. I do like yours as well. BY the way dose your wheels seem loose and do they move back and forth. I am worndering if there is a way to tighten them along with the shocks. OR are they all suppose to do that I am not sure . Mind seems to run ok but I do wonder about that . thanks DON THE Rustbucket
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:41 AM
Panzer Killer
North Richland Hills, TX
Joined Jan 2011
57 Posts
Yep, my wheels have a wobble, too. Especially the third road wheel from the front on the left side. I'm not sure how to tighten them. I can't find any way to do so.
If they made metal road wheels, I'm sure that would help. But I haven't seen any place that sells them for the Pershing. The vast majority of upgrades seem to be for the German tanks.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:05 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,857 Posts
HELLO Steel that is what I have found myself. THE same thing. I cant figure it out eather maybe there suppose to be that way. THE Shop I deal with just came out with the new walker. BUT I have not seen it out of the box so I am not even sure it is the same or not.
I hope you did not mind but I did take your advice and added some rust and a little of the gray to mind last night. Looks nice. I never thought about doing any thing like that myself . I am heavy into Detale .I get that from my RC ship building.
BY the way witch radio do you have the removable christial or the A and B switch.
I would like to figure out a way to change my tank over to my DX 6 speckrum radio. IT could make life a little better to deal with with if I get around other tankers. BUT in my area it seems I am the only one around. NOT a big deal I like it just as much.
DON thanks agian
Old Feb 25, 2011, 01:11 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,857 Posts
tank picture

HEY Steel I forgot to add some pictures for ya . I may have went a little over board with the rust on the wheels what do you think. I am use to doing weathering and como on ships not tanks . Could use your opinion. I wont have a problem eather way. Looks like the wheels are press on. along with the shock towers. ON the smaller hing long persshing tanks you can unscrew the shock towers and remove the wheels from the compleat housing. but the wheels them selfs are pin on. Still trying to figure some of that out incase something works looose or brakes. . DON
Old Feb 25, 2011, 02:31 PM
USMC 0341
Blue Ridge Mountains of VA
Joined Dec 2010
53 Posts
Guys,

about the only upgrades I have seen is the upgraded springs, metal tracks with the outer metal sprockets and a metal gearbox with standard ratio. This was all on Phils site. I would like to find a turret with recoil for mine
Devildog is offline Find More Posts by Devildog