HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:30 AM
Account closed - user passed away
Chicago
Joined Nov 2009
333 Posts
Hey guys, lets post it here.

Mine's due to arrive on Monday and now I'm worried.

I was hoping someone from Premier would have a look at some of these threads and offer up some insight.

Mike
Patron is offline Find More Posts by Patron
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2011, 04:21 PM
Chicago
Joined Nov 2009
333 Posts
I've got to order some more batteries for my Eagle and was wondering what'sa good size to get? I've got 850's then I jump up to 1800's which I would imagine would be too heavy.

I haven't flown mine yet but would like a little longer flight times than what guys are posting with the stock battery.

Mine came in today (suprise) so I'll try and maiden it tomorrow.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 04:32 PM
Just Happy To Be Here!!!
United States, AL, Tuscaloosa
Joined Nov 2004
1,666 Posts
Patron,
Don't worry, I'll talk to ApachePilot this evening, and hopefully, we'll get it sorted out and post it. Talking to ApachePilot first allows me to ask a lot of questions and get instant feedback, which saves A LOT of time going back and forth on the threads.

The battery that comes with the power unit is a 3 cell 1100mAh. I've found 1100 through 1350 work best but I've carried up to a 2600mAh battery on windy days and it works fine. It flys longer but doesn't climb as well with larger batteries but it does make the Eagle more stable in wind.

Harry
harrymc is offline Find More Posts by harrymc
Old Mar 11, 2011, 07:23 PM
Chicago
Joined Nov 2009
333 Posts
Thanks harrymc,

I might give my 1800's a try first before I order any.

Mike
Old Mar 11, 2011, 08:13 PM
Tom Para
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Joined May 2003
1,199 Posts
I just stumbled across these vectored kites. The Eagle looks cool .
Question 1. Where are these things made?
2. I have noticed in all the videos that I could find that the kites do not glide real smooth. It porpoises a lot. Not meaning to be insulting to those that own one as I am aware these guys sell for $400 USD. Even the Premier RC video shows it. I assume that is why when it starts its stall they put it into a loop . http://www.premierrc.com/eaglevideo.shtml
Tom in Cincy is online now Find More Posts by Tom in Cincy
Old Mar 11, 2011, 08:43 PM
check the crazyplanes ...
Germany
Joined Dec 2006
312 Posts
... do You mean these videos?

Eagle Vector Kite (1 min 27 sec)

RC - VECTOR KITE 15 * 320cm EAGLE * Vector Control * (2 min 6 sec)

Eagle at Inter-Ex 2010 (2 min 41 sec)

flattermann
flattermann is offline Find More Posts by flattermann
Old Mar 11, 2011, 09:23 PM
Tom Para
Joined May 2003
1,199 Posts
Thanks Flattermann. Those videos looks much better. It looks like the vector pod is hand made. Any idea how much power the system runs? and I am still curious as where this kite is made. China ??
Old Mar 13, 2011, 05:58 PM
ApachePilot
Joined Oct 2006
1,866 Posts
Alright,

After discussing my issues with harrymc, we came to a few conclusions and a few ideas to try.

In this post I won't elaborate on assembly, as I have found that to be very straight foreward. If you have (EVER) built a kite, then this process will be a breeze.

1. While reading the instructions that came with my kite, battery placment is breifly pointed upon. It is reccomended to mount your battery in the center of your foreward battery tray, which I did. (I believe this to be a mistake) as when powering off the kite would nose down displaying a nose heavy attitude. (this may be appropriate if you lose power, but I don't believe it should dive in unless you are thermaling with it and cannot bring her down by other means.) In that case, cut the throttle and let the nose drop and power back up at a safer altitude.
The ideal starting position of your batteries placement should begin at the front of the (rear) battery tray. Your first few flights should be this way and tested in 0-5mph winds. It was found that when powering off this would produce the flatest glide. Though there is still a high sink rate, your kite will remain flat and settle in nicely. After these first flights, you can adjust your battery to your preference. Moving foreward of this possition will allow you to fly in a bit more wind, but remember the nose will want to drop when powering off, so it might be best to keep a bit of power on landing to bring the nose up.

2. When mounting the vector power unit...
The Generation II power unit is attached to a mount by sliding the unit into 2 CF tubes and connected via a rubber O-Ring securely locking it in place. This mount is made up of three CF tubes that attach to the main spar and back bone of the kite. (be certain to seat these 3 tubes fully) as this will give you the proper incidence between the top of the kite and the thrust line. (your motor and thrust line should never be parrallel to the top of the kite) It should appear to have up thrust built in. Look along your rail and eyeball your thrust line or a simple tool to uuse would be a simple protractor or square bought from your popular outlet.

In my case I have a slight amount of down thrust programed in. This allows a more shallow climb out and level flight at 50% throttle. My flight times average 7-9 minutes with the stock 1100mAh pack.

I recorded a short video showing this short explaination, of which I will upload here shortly. I hope you enjoy..... This is indeed a remarkable and eye catching kite.

Thank you to everyone here and to harrymc for all of your assistance.

Premier Eagle.wmv (4 min 40 sec)

Just before landing, I did give it a (blip) of throttle to bring the nose up. I believe that by moving by battery back 1/4" will make my glide a bit better and landings a bit more soft.

ApachePilot
ApachePilot is offline Find More Posts by ApachePilot
Last edited by ApachePilot; Mar 13, 2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 08:25 PM
Chicago
Joined Nov 2009
333 Posts
Nice job ApachePilot,

Looks like you have it dialed in pretty good.

I wasn't able to fly mine today, there was just too much wind to try it, but we're supposed to have some good weather this week.

Thanks for the flight report.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 08:32 PM
ApachePilot
Joined Oct 2006
1,866 Posts
Patron,

Thank you....

Allow me to give you one more bit of caution. Flying this kite at your local neighborhood park may cause personal injury. I have flown here across the street from my motel and have had traffic stop in the middle of the street to gaze at it flying. I have had others take photographs and had persons stop jogging/walking to stare upward while I was flying.

All seriousness though, it might be nice to find a place that is more secluded persey, not a field next to a interstate, freeway or highway....

ApachePilot
Old Mar 13, 2011, 09:06 PM
Tom Para
Joined May 2003
1,199 Posts
On a scale of 1 - 10 whats the fun factor?
On a scale of 1 - 10 is the construction worth $400?
Still sitting on the fence.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 09:31 PM
ApachePilot
Joined Oct 2006
1,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom in Cincy View Post
On a scale of 1 - 10 whats the fun factor?
On a scale of 1 - 10 is the construction worth $400?
Still sitting on the fence.

Having flown everything from rubber power to turbine, electric, glow fuel and gas. I would offer this......

1. (Fun Factor) I believe this to be a question of personal preference.
Allow me to explain: With the stock configuration, flight is somewhat limited, ei, you are not able to comfortably fly in wind conditions above 10mph. This may change with heavier batteries and perhap more powerful motor. I personally enjoy the flight characteristics and graceful flying of which a bird should display. I personally have not seen a bald eagle loop, but this kite will do it easliy. I am much more of a scale type pilot and prefer to fly all my models in that mannor. For me the fun factor is multi fold...

1. Easily packaged and transportable.
2. Less than 5 minutes to set up and launch.
3. Fair flight times, ei, 7-9 minutes with stock battery or up to 15-20 minutes with a larger pack.
4. Graceful in flight, smooth and easy to control, relaxing, and a real eye catcher.
If I were to give it a number from 1-10, I would easily say a (7) and perhaps a 8,9 ith more powerful setup.
The only real cons I have aren't really cons, but the weather never cooperates with you 100% of the time so you aren't able to fly it anytime you want, such as windy days, drizzle, and such. But I also believe that is why I have other models.

As for the price:

I would have to say that the price is on the higher end, but that is for the plug and play package. All you need is to install your own preferred Rx.
I would have no problem paying $300.00-$350.00

I believe, there should be a package that allows the user to install all of their own equiptment and that may bring the price down. Remember, that with this price you not only get the airframe, but you also get servos, esc, battery, charger, extra prop, bl motor and have not more than a 5 minute build time. You can literally be flying this thing in less than a hour after recieving it.

I thoroughly enjoy it....

I hope this answered your questions.

ApachePilot
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:12 AM
Just Happy To Be Here!!!
United States, AL, Tuscaloosa
Joined Nov 2004
1,666 Posts
ApachePilot,
Thanks for thanking me!
Sharing of information is my favorite thing about RCG.
We've all given or gotten information here based on our experiences. If we've been down a road that someone hasn't and we can share that with them, we all win!
Your video looks great! Beautiful bird isn't it?
We had our Spring fun-fly this weekend. I flew my Eagle and loved it as usual.
It's a real showstopper for sure! Had winds at 10 mph and over, so I flew with 2200mAh batteries and that settled her down fine.
Have fun!

Harry
harrymc is offline Find More Posts by harrymc
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:46 AM
Tom Para
Joined May 2003
1,199 Posts
Thanks guys. I have enjoyed checking the eagle out. I have always had an interest in this sort of stuff. I have a ornithopter that I have flown for many years and its great fun. I thought the price was a bit steep too. The power unit for $200 was the deal killer. Maybe I'll find one second hand some day...
Cya
Old Mar 14, 2011, 01:53 AM
check the crazyplanes ...
Germany
Joined Dec 2006
312 Posts
apache pilot: Nice video! Like cruising around with the eagle, too.

flattermann
flattermann is offline Find More Posts by flattermann