HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2011, 05:05 AM
Speed Nut
Joined Jan 2010
479 Posts
Discussion
Help from you designing the "BEST" FPV plane

I am really loving my new FPV hobby ( I have been flying FPV for a year now),
and I have never used store bought planes.
I am a designer and builder so I always built my own fpv planes (3 so far).

I'd like to design, with the help and input of the most esperienced FPVers a larger ALL-ROUND FPV plane. I'd like it to be a viable option to store-bought planes for FPVers, durable, great flyer, lots of room, good L/D ratio with slippery airfoil, for this reason I am asking for these info from you.

1: What do you like the WS to be?
2: What would you like the Wing area to be?
3: which configration is preferrable? Twin motors, pusher behind the TE or pusher way at the back of the fuselage, twin boom, or large cargo fuselage, Flying Wing with or without pod?
4: steerable trike Landing gear, yes or no?
5: Predicted RTF weight ?
6:flaps yes or no?
7: what material for availability, ease of build, and crash resistance?
MarcAntonio is offline Find More Posts by MarcAntonio
Last edited by MarcAntonio; Feb 24, 2011 at 05:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2011, 05:14 AM
UK, South Yorkshire, Sheffield
Joined May 2009
968 Posts
Knowing what I do today I would go for a slow/medium flying wing. something between 40-50'' wingspan. 1-1.5kg AUW.

very easy to build. very durable. very good at component positioning (separating radio from video)

just my 2cents
Bandarra is offline Find More Posts by Bandarra
Old Feb 24, 2011, 05:16 AM
Speed Nut
Joined Jan 2010
479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcAntonio View Post

I'd like to design, with the help and input of the most esperienced FPVers a larger ALL-ROUND FPV plane. I'd like it to be a viable option to store-bought planes for FPVers, durable, great flyer, lots of room, good L/D ratio with slippery airfoil, for this reason I am asking for these info from you.

3: which configration is preferrable? Twin motors, pusher behind the TE or pusher way at the back of the fuselage, twin boom, or large cargo fuselage?
I will answer my own questions to show what my beginning idea is (subject to change a lot).

1: 180cm/ 70"
2: 6300 cm/sq/976.5" square
3: Single pusher with folder prop on very back of large stubby fuselage
4: steerable trike LG
5: 1600gr/56.4oz
6: Flaps Yes
7: Extruded polistirene (blue or pink or yellow insulation foam) reinforced with fiber tape and covered with colored tape. Carbon fiber spar in the wing.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 05:17 AM
Speed Nut
Joined Jan 2010
479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandarra View Post
Knowing what I do today I would go for a slow/medium flying wing. something between 40-50'' wingspan. 1-1.5kg AUW.

very easy to build. very durable. very good at component positioning (separating radio from video)

just my 2cents
Cool! thanks for the input, I will add that to the possible configurations.

I will wait for 10-15 responses before starting any CAD work.
Last edited by MarcAntonio; Feb 24, 2011 at 05:24 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 05:30 AM
Joined Dec 2005
1,808 Posts
There are lots of good ships out there but the only thing the FPV community is really lacking is a well priced twin boom pusher made from foam.
They have some out there but they are either balsa, expensive, or too much work to build.

I'd love to see something like the EasyStar or Skywalker in size/price/material, but a nice sexy twin boom pusher.

If one exists and I don't know about it someone please point it out to me.
BushmanLA is offline Find More Posts by BushmanLA
Old Feb 24, 2011, 05:34 AM
Speed Nut
Joined Jan 2010
479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushmanLA View Post
There are lots of good ships out there but the only thing the FPV community is really lacking is a well priced twin boom pusher made from foam.
They have some out there but they are either balsa, expensive, or too much work to build.

I'd love to see something like the EasyStar or Skywalker in size/price/material, but a nice sexy twin boom pusher.

If one exists and I don't know about it someone please point it out to me.
Good Idea.

Would you mind if the booms were just made of hard eps foam or would you like carbon booms, or aluminum booms?
Would square aluminum booms be aestetically pleasing?
Last edited by MarcAntonio; Feb 24, 2011 at 05:42 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 06:27 AM
Questionable judgement
Charles Town, WV
Joined Jan 2008
3,070 Posts
For fpv who cares about the planes aestetics. Just make it fly good with lots of well placed gear.
bracky72 is offline Find More Posts by bracky72
Old Feb 24, 2011, 07:04 AM
VaZ
TheFlyer_PT
Portugal
Joined Feb 2011
611 Posts
big, slow and stable that's what we need
VaZ is offline Find More Posts by VaZ
Old Feb 24, 2011, 07:27 AM
Speed Nut
Joined Jan 2010
479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaZ View Post
big, slow and stable that's what we need
Sounds good!

Lots of wing area, medium to low aspect ratio, low wing loading, with a nice 6ft wingspan
Old Feb 24, 2011, 08:17 AM
Praying for better weather
Joined Dec 2007
4,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracky72 View Post
For fpv who cares about the planes aestetics. Just make it fly good with lots of well placed gear.
+1 The brief is Best FPV plane, the best FPV plane is for the best placement, the best flight characteristics for video capture and the most practical airframe to promote the best possible signal transmission.

Looks are the last thing that should be on the list if at all
Coyote64 is online now Find More Posts by Coyote64
Old Feb 24, 2011, 08:39 AM
Speed Nut
Joined Jan 2010
479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote64 View Post
+1 The brief is Best FPV plane, the best FPV plane is for the best placement, the best flight characteristics for video capture and the most practical airframe to promote the best possible signal transmission.

Looks are the last thing that should be on the list if at all
I agree with all of that. Any suggestions on how to achieve that from your point of view?

Twin boom is nice, but, construction is not easy, and there is a weight penalty with the booms and secure attachment to the wings of the two booms.

Much better to use 2 motors with counter rotanting props facing forward on the wing.

The wing can be made in 3 parts, a flat center and polihedral 1/3 span outer pieces. With inboard flaps for steep descents and slow speed cruising, and can be reflexed for higher speed cruising.
I'm thinking about a glider foil like a MH32 which is good with flaps and ailerons at 22% of wing chord.

Forward facing props are good for slow speed handling too.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:16 AM
Joined Sep 2007
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushmanLA View Post
http://www.popsci.com/archive-viewer...=53&query=1930
johndoe2490 is offline Find More Posts by johndoe2490
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:57 AM
Joined Dec 2005
1,808 Posts
Quote:
Good Idea.

Would you mind if the booms were just made of hard eps foam or would you like carbon booms, or aluminum booms?
Would square aluminum booms be aestetically pleasing?

I like my booms big, soft, and squishy.

I'd imagine some CF tubes would be better for a plane though.
BushmanLA is offline Find More Posts by BushmanLA
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:11 PM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Dec 2004
2,097 Posts
Quote:

3: which configration is preferrable? Twin motors, pusher behind the TE or pusher way at the back of the fuselage, twin boom, or large cargo fuselage, Flying Wing with or without pod?

1. For efficiency, flying far or high the bigger the better, but if it´s an all-round airframe I think it should be around 1,5m as much. If it´s bigger flying around obstacles is more dificult, because of the size but also because of the roll rate wich is slower with big planes

2. Higher is better I think, but with the airfoil you have in mind I think the chord can´t be too long...

3. I prefer twin motors. Pushers handle worse when flying slow, and if it´s an all-round plane a good slow speed behaviour is a must IMHO

4. With a trike you can take off anywhere, but with lots of drag. I still don´t know what I do prefer If the final weight is low, no wheels, if not, trike. So trike

5. Minimum possible or a bit less

6. If it´s slow then they´re not needed and only would add weight and complexity (think about total number of channels, I need pan&tilt). With a faster airfoil like the MH32 they would be nice and probably almost a must.

7. I know a big mayority will prefer foam, and it posibly is the best option, but a composite plane will always be lighter, much more efficient and the rigidity can´t be compared. Also, once you do your first repair, composites are easier to repair than people usually think. It should be carbon free tough

I´m not sure if I want the MH32 or not. I know it´s an awesome airfoil in gliders/hotliners, but for FPV the stall speed is very very important because that´s what will tell you how many places you can fly from. The MH32 is a fast airfoil, with flaps can fly slow too, but I´m not sure if it will be enough...
AndrésMtnez is offline Find More Posts by AndrésMtnez
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:15 PM
Just dog tired.
USA, NY, Buffalo
Joined Dec 2010
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe2490 View Post
That would be a sweet design if you could do it as a straight-up flying wing. The large vertical storage area in the center of the thing would make for fantastic component storage.
Wearyman is offline Find More Posts by Wearyman