HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2011, 05:13 PM
Oslo, Norway
Joined Jan 2011
242 Posts
Build Log
Beginner plane both easy to build and easy to fly (with plans and videos)

Hello,

I am a beginner both in building and flying rc planes and I really enjoy both thanks to all the info available on the forum :-)

The first plane I built was not based on a plan but loosely inspired by the shape of some balsa gliders I had seen before. After experimenting a bit and tuning the design I now have a plane which flies quite good.

The point of this plane is to be easy to build (and repair) but also to be super stable and easy to fly. It does not look the best, it cannot do crazy aerobatics, fly very fast or fly in windy conditions but it has been a great plane for me to learn how to fly rc planes without breaking too many things.

Here is a video of it flown by a pilot with below 1 hour plane flying experience (but a bit of experience flying a coaxial helicopter):

Easy to build beginner rc plane (2 min 22 sec)

And here is a video of me practicing taxi, take-off and landing in the garage:

rc plane in garage (2 min 21 sec)

Here are the characteristics and components:
* Wingspan: 105cm
* Length: 70cm
* Wing Surface: ~1600 cm²
* Wing Airfoil: KFm2 (Leading edge: 6mm, Trailing edge: 3mm) in 3mm Depron
* Control surfaces: Elevator and rudder
* Weight: about 100 to 125g (without battery)
* Battery: 2S 300 to 500 mAh or 3S 300 to 600 mAh
* Propeller: 6030 or 5043
* Motor: [18-11 2000kv Micro Brushless Outrunner (10g) (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5358) - $7.99
* ESC: [Hobbyking SS Series 8-10A ESC (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6455) - $6.15
* Servos: 2 x HXT500 5g / .8kg / .10sec Micro Servo (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...?idProduct=663) - $3.49 ($6.98)

It is a quite fun plane to fly with a 3S battery and once trimmed properly it is very stable and has very gentle stall characteristics.

I have attached a rough plan and some pictures. If someone is interested I can provide more details on how I built it.
ffranck is offline Find More Posts by ffranck
Last edited by ffranck; Feb 26, 2011 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Make the title more accurate
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2011, 05:25 PM
From trucks to planes
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Oct 2005
194 Posts
I love how it ate those 2 back to back loops for breakfast completely at random. haha. Nice looking plane, if you are just starting to build/fly, you're already 10x better off than I was with both things!
Slo-V Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Slo-V Flyer
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:15 AM
Oslo, Norway
Joined Jan 2011
242 Posts
Thanks, I am actually cheating a bit because I have been flying and fixing helicopters before. What I really like with planes is the possibility of building them almost entirely (and not spend half the time waiting for expensive spare parts :-) )
Old Feb 25, 2011, 01:22 PM
Oslo, Norway
Joined Jan 2011
242 Posts
SketchUp model

Here is an initial SketchUp model of the plane. This is the first time I use SketchUp so it is not really complete but it shows the basic dimensions and structure of the wings and tail.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 01:40 PM
From trucks to planes
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Oct 2005
194 Posts
Not bad. I am still completely clueless with Sketchup, I think I attempted to use it for about 15 minutes before giving up. I think learning that would really be a big jump for me in designing planes for myself (and being able to share the plans with others). So far I just imagine it as much as my feeble imagination allows and then hand draw/sketch it out on the foam board as I go. It takes a good 1-3 hours figuring/cutting out the parts but I suppose that's no different than designing it for several hours on SU first. B) baby steps I guess heh.
Slo-V Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Slo-V Flyer
Old Feb 26, 2011, 02:20 AM
Oslo, Norway
Joined Jan 2011
242 Posts
It looks like a good tool, much simpler than industrial CAD tools but I still used some hours to draw this simple model where an experienced user would probably need 10 minutes... Anyway there are a set of video tutorials on the SU web site which I found useful to get started.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 07:45 PM
Joined May 2010
29 Posts
ok.. guys.. im newer than new here. ive been flying heli's for more than a year and im intrested in fixed wing.. i never flew one thou.
im thinking of building this as my first plane.. but i was told its better to learn on a plane with ailerons than without..
is it possible to add ailerons to this plane ?
hadi10 is offline Find More Posts by hadi10
Old Feb 26, 2011, 08:22 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,861 Posts
This is so simple to build, just do it. If you put the rudder on Ch 1 (right stick), the dihedral on this guy will give similar response as when you get into 4ch and put ailerons on ch 1 and rudder on ch4. It's what I did and the transition was almost seamless.
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OneSheeter#17 OSC140 debut
Old Feb 27, 2011, 03:08 AM
Oslo, Norway
Joined Jan 2011
242 Posts
It is always possible to add ailerons but as it is this plane really does not need them. As springer said, the rudder should be plugged on the aileron channel and with the dihedral of about 45° at the tip of the wings it actually responds like ailerons.

I had no problem going from this plane to planes with ailerons and rudder. I think that because of the heli experience we are kind of used to use both aileron and rudder inputs in turns so it makes it natural for us.

I noticed that even if there is nothing plugged on the rudder channel for this plane I sometimes still use a bit of rudder input in turns just by reflex :-)

You can try flying it as 3Ch and then make another wing without the dihedral and with ailerons (or flaperons) to have a 4 or 5Ch plane. The only potential problem is that the plane will be a bit heavier.
Old Mar 04, 2011, 11:05 AM
vtol fan
Joined Jul 2009
627 Posts
Hi !
very nice plane!...no cf road in the wing!?...is no need to do that?
cheers!
nadine is offline Find More Posts by nadine
Old Mar 04, 2011, 03:08 PM
Oslo, Norway
Joined Jan 2011
242 Posts
Hi!

This is a good remark, the top of the wing is not visible on the pictures but there is actually a 3mm CF tube right behind the step of the wing to make is more rigid.

It will fly without CF (and I actually started like that) but the wings flex a lot in tight maneuvers so it is not optimal.

I will post more details on how to build the wings, tail and fuselage.
Old Mar 04, 2011, 03:34 PM
vtol fan
Joined Jul 2009
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffranck View Post
Hi!

This is a good remark, the top of the wing is not visible on the pictures but there is actually a 3mm CF tube right behind the step of the wing to make is more rigid.

It will fly without CF (and I actually started like that) but the wings flex a lot in tight maneuvers so it is not optimal.

Thanks!...another thing,the motor ,have some down or right ,degreees?
For the fuselage,a 4 mm cf rod,is enaugh?
cheers
Old Mar 04, 2011, 05:26 PM
Oslo, Norway
Joined Jan 2011
242 Posts
For the motor, I have not set any down or right thrust. The wings are so large for the weight that there is no big need to counter the motor torque.
I suggest mounting the motor strait and adjust later if you feel it can improve flight.

For the stick a 4mm rod should do the trick. My experience is that the part of the stick which takes the most effort in landings and crashes is the part from the front of the wing to the motor which supports the landing gear. I used a 8mm pine rod for that part instead of balsa for the rest. With CF I guess there is no need for reinforcements.

Good luck with the build!
Old Mar 05, 2011, 02:13 AM
vtol fan
Joined Jul 2009
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffranck View Post
Hi!

Hi..it will be avesome
cheers
Old Mar 05, 2011, 02:47 AM
This Calls for a Sexy Party
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
anyone know where to get the rod locally ( or out of foam ? )
i found some chopstick in the house ( typical Asian family kitchen lol ) and they are heavy
StewieRC is offline Find More Posts by StewieRC