HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2011, 09:42 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
Discussion
Do we need another foam P-38 on the market? If so, how should it be different?

What do you think, guys?

The P-38 is a tricky plane for most model makers. The added cost of the twin power systems alone probably makes it difficult to position at the standard warbird price point that is inhabited by our favorite Parkzone planes...

Added to that is the complexity of the wiring, the long elevator that ideally should be acuated from two points (usually requiring two servos), etc, and you end up with a pricey model.

Some recent foamy P-38s were:

The Phase-3 P-38 was a brilliant flyer, good stock power... but too brittle and fragile for the masses. Honestly, it suffered a bit for poor engineering and primitive foam...it's now gone. If you can find one, add some bracing and fly it carefully.

The GWS-38 wasn't scale enough for many tastes, relied perhaps a bit too much on "old" technology and building techniques that we saw in the old and once beloved EPS warbird offerings from GWS....it's now extinct.

The Eflite P-38 was a great flyer, molded and painted to represent unique and interesting scale version of the plane and it had its loyal following. With some extra care taken in the build process, could be a competent air frame...but perhaps because of the hassles and expense of the power system, Eflite didn't seem to sell too many and couldn't justify funding another run when the factory making their EPS kits gave them problems. It has gone the way of the American middle class... gone!

The J-Power P-38- this plane remains as the parkflyer's last best hope at fork-tailed devil enjoyment. Nice looking, reasonably scale, fantastic flying plane that is very docile and easy to fly. The stock power is adequate too... but they're plagued by quality problems. The paint job is very often botched, the motors occasionally croak, the retracts are all but useless, servos are always dicey... plus it's BIG. This is a great feature for some, a burden for others. On the other hand, the P-38 was a bit bigger than most single engine fighters...so it might be right in scale with the new Parkzone P-47, for example... (can anyone verify that?) Add in that they're sometimes very hard to find in stock and there are plenty of frustrations to be had.

So... is there room for a competitor to the J-power plane? What features are a "must" for a new kit? Are you interested enough to pay a premium for the twin power systems?

I think there is room in the market and enough interest in this amazing warbird shape to justify a new model but I would love to hear what you guys think.
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2011, 09:55 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,516 Posts
I've seen the E-flite and the J-Power both fly and seem docile enought for the average faomie warbird flyer.

The e-flite has been discontinued for a while, so I opted not to purchase for lack of spare parts and also fixed landing gear. I do have a buddy that belly lands his but I like the retracts.

The j-power is slightly larger then the e-flite and has retracts which is a big plus for me. The retract struts seem to short for the size of the airframe but it's possible I will buy one if no other P-38's come out in the near future.

To me a 50 to 60 inch wingspan would be a good size for a foamie P-38, and with the correct size retract struts and possibly optional flaps. Granted this is just a dream warbird for me but if one was available...I'd buy it.
LICobra is online now Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
Old Feb 23, 2011, 10:53 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
I totally agree about the retracts... and with the growing popularity of the "E-tracts" I think that at least provisions for these (like with the PZ P-47) would be a no-brainer.
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Feb 23, 2011, 11:03 AM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
I have both the J-Power and the E-flite P-38s. I love them both. I think that if a manufacturer like Horizon/parkzone would produce a P-38 like the J-Power, it would sell. Now I know you are saying, but they did and it didn't sell. The problem with the E-flite P-38 was teething issues. It was 2nd in line of a very well designed series of planes. Problem is that the kit itself needed a bunch of fixes to make it dependable/enjoyable. The other issue is that the E-flite gondola proportion was not scale to the rest of the plane. If you take the detail E-flite put into their P-38 and put it with the scale proportions of the J-Power P-38, mix it with some electric retracts and known/proven electronics, I think they will have a winner. While on the subject of the P-38, with Parkzones new Micro Mossie offering I would not be surprised to see a Micro P-38 in the near future.

Oh and FYI: The Wildcat, P-47 and J-Power P-38 are all within scale of each other. The P-47 and F4F are both 11.58:1 scale and the J-Power P-38 is 11.34:1 scale.
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Last edited by Orion Pax; Feb 23, 2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 11:55 AM
United States, GA, Jonesboro
Joined Nov 2010
1,659 Posts
the only reason i havent bought the j-powers p-38 is im jobbless right now and the concern of the poor retracts. i plan to own one in the future.if parkzone made one, the market is definitly there for it just because its made by parkzone. same setup as the p-47 and the market will eat them up. im sure i speak for the majority when i say that i hope parkzone makes the p-47 the new benchmark. ive got two fms planes and im planning on selling them and buying primarily parkzone. would be nice in the future to own a few warbirds with electric retracts, flaps, ect. by parkzone. they have all the characteristics im looking for in an rc plane. im sure the reason that the above p-38's dont sell more is, they dont have all the qualities we want in an rc plane. if parkzone made a p-38, yes, i would definitly be getting it. i absolutly love the p-38 and will definitly own one in the future, hopefully by parkzone. im also hoping for a nice P-40B model, cant wait till someone, anyone makes a nice size, descent looking P-40B.
gchrisgo34 is offline Find More Posts by gchrisgo34
Old Feb 23, 2011, 12:03 PM
Hopewell Jct. NY
Joined Jun 2004
78 Posts
Can't be to thin, have too much money, or too may P38 models

Just my opinion. I'd like a P-38 at 26", 36", 46" 56", 66" etc etc
I'd like them in foam, and balsa, and fiberglass, and combinations of the three.

I like P-38s

Glenn

PS. I also want the HET F-104 back in production, and a nice Ercoupe 415
vicar is offline Find More Posts by vicar
Old Feb 23, 2011, 12:39 PM
United States, NY, Queens
Joined Oct 2005
2,865 Posts
You have to figure that if ParkZone were to produce a P-38 in the size of the P-47, the plane would cost at least $100 miore than the P-47, taking it way out of the price range that PZ targets. Ain't gonna happen.

However, if the UM Mosquito has good sales, a UM P-38 is almost a certainty.
Leo L is offline Find More Posts by Leo L
Old Feb 23, 2011, 01:08 PM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,375 Posts
I would like to see an earlier model, like an F, in OD over gray and without the invasion stripes. Possibly even the pre-war type insignia and with "U.S. Army" accross the bottom of the wings.

True, the J and the L were the best, but the earlier models were a bit more streamlined and were also beautiful to look at.

I am enjoying the BH P-38!
Ah Clem is online now Find More Posts by Ah Clem
Old Feb 23, 2011, 05:12 PM
Joined May 2009
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX View Post
So... is there room for a competitor to the J-power plane? What features are a "must" for a new kit? Are you interested enough to pay a premium for the twin power systems?
I have the J-Power P-38, and wish it was:
1) Smaller. I have a truck to haul my airplanes around in, but a 30" - 35" park flyer P-38 to fly right near my house would be much more desireable.

2) Gimmick-free. I'm just not interested in gimmicks like retracts, lights, scale props, what have you. Lighter, faster, more agile and more reliable are far more important to me.

3) For that matter, no rudder servos or landing gear, either. Those were removed from all of my warbirds that came with them because they were just useless extra weight.

I'd jump on a properly proportioned, scale P-38 that met the criteria above, even though I already have a P-38 (plus 15 or so other electric warbirds). It doesn't much matter to me what version of P-38 it is, so long as large numbers of that version were used in combat during WWII. I must say, though, that the later versions tended to be more colorful.

JMHO,
D
69SuperBee is offline Find More Posts by 69SuperBee
Old Feb 23, 2011, 05:19 PM
Victoria BC Canada
Joined Jan 2008
1,604 Posts
Missed the FSK P-38
Lexta is offline Find More Posts by Lexta
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2011, 05:25 PM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexta View Post
Missed the FSK P-38
No you mean skipped the FSK. Its nice but takes for ever to build and is fragile. Did I mention how expensive it is.
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Feb 23, 2011, 05:41 PM
Victoria BC Canada
Joined Jan 2008
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Pax View Post
No you mean skipped the FSK. Its nice but takes for ever to build and is fragile. Did I mention how expensive it is.
I just meant it was not listed.
I had the fskp-38 The part fit was poor and it was so brittle that it would break on the softeset of landings. It looked good and flew verry well but it turned me off FSK's for good. I have had an alfa FW flying for 5 years in comparison.
Lexta is offline Find More Posts by Lexta
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2011, 05:43 PM
Fly Low - Hit Hard
Canada, ON
Joined Oct 2010
1,118 Posts
How should it be different?

It should be designed, built and sold by HH.

Just my $.02

RF
Red Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Red Flyer
Old Feb 23, 2011, 05:44 PM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Dec 2000
82 Posts
I would love a Giant Size FMS/Airfield P-38 in the same scale as their 1400mm size birds. EPO foam several paint schemes and Electric Retracts.

Jim
Stormbringer is offline Find More Posts by Stormbringer
Old Feb 23, 2011, 05:52 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo L View Post
You have to figure that if ParkZone were to produce a P-38 in the size of the P-47, the plane would cost at least $100 miore than the P-47, taking it way out of the price range that PZ targets. Ain't gonna happen.

However, if the UM Mosquito has good sales, a UM P-38 is almost a certainty.
My guess is a p 47 size mosquito. Twin engine without twin booms, easier to manufacture, and keep price down. If we see a p38 it will probably be eflite like the hurricane just for price point purposes.
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ