HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 23, 2011, 07:47 PM
Joined Jul 2008
24 Posts
Thanx for all the fast help what brand battery to you guys find the best for performace and price for the 4s 4000?
Thanx Dean
3Dflyer54 is offline Find More Posts by 3Dflyer54
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2011, 07:49 PM
Suffolk, VA
Joined Nov 2010
2,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dflyer54 View Post
Thanx for all the fast help what brand battery to you guys find the best for performace and price for the 4s 4000?
Thanx Dean
I am using these
3DBobz is offline Find More Posts by 3DBobz
Old May 23, 2011, 07:50 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,755 Posts
I use GForce 4s 4000's in my 55" Edge. They only cost around $40 and I like them. I also have the 3s 1500's in my 41" Edge which are still going strong after 125+ flights.
DFflyer is offline Find More Posts by DFflyer
Old May 23, 2011, 08:25 PM
Joined Jul 2008
24 Posts
Thanx for the fast help!
3Dflyer54 is offline Find More Posts by 3Dflyer54
Old May 23, 2011, 08:27 PM
Joined Sep 2006
188 Posts
thanks ryan for that info. Seems like the 3620 is the way to go. I decided to stay with the 4315 and later possibly get the lighted backend from ken.

Just got done moving rudder servo to the end, opposite the elevator servo. There is already a hole for the servo there. I used the same setup as the elevator linkage except I used 4-40 threaded rod and drilled out a 2-56 ball link connector for the bigger rod. I tried drilling out the included ball link but it was brittle and split. Not sure where I got my 2-56 ball link but it's white and flexible plastic. Then I drilled out the thumb screw connector for the rod. I haven't balanced the plane yet but with the rudder servo up front I needed 2.5oz of weight in the tail. I still need maybe 1.5oz in the tail, we'll see.

I used the longest dubro hd horn with thumbscrew in the farthest hole from servo. Still had to detune my atv's from 100% to 90% on both sides. I needed to be on the outermost hole otherwise the geometry starts to get whacky. One side moves more than the other, etc. Thus the need to detune atv's instead of using hole closer to the servo. You can get full rudder throw and then some on 100% atv's. The hitec analog 225mg rudder servo is great, centers very well and I like it better this way than the pull/pull as you don't have to readjust the cables based on temperature and wear. The only bad thing is that during a crash there is more weight in the tail thus more breakage due to mass of the tail. Same thing happened to my stick plane. Oh one more thing, you only need two 12" servo extensions for the elevator and rudder (if rudder is in the back) and if your rx is behind the wing tube. Here are the pics (fuzzy due to me shaking and batts running out):
FlyStraight is offline Find More Posts by FlyStraight
Old May 23, 2011, 08:33 PM
Hope is not a Strategy
Australia, VIC, Caroline Springs
Joined Apr 2011
1,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBobz View Post
YES got my shipping notification today.
Lucky

Rob is vinylin mine up so gonna be a few days behind you in shipping
and 1-3 weeks to get here LOL

can't wait though.
Lojik is offline Find More Posts by Lojik
Old May 23, 2011, 08:33 PM
Team 3DHS
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Nov 2008
1,412 Posts
Ben is definately correct in saying the 4315 is overpowered for this plane and heavier than the recommended motors.

I am very happy with my current setup in the plane which is:

Motrolfly 4315
Ice 100
4s 4000.

I like to fly the 59 a little nose heavy because of how well it tracks. This is just my preference. My battery is about an inch in front of the wing tube and the plane drops slightly while inverted. My rudder servo is in the pull pull slot under the canopy.

BEWARE that neutral and tail heavy cg's will not be attainable with the rudder servo in the normal slot and 4315 up front. Once the new mounts are in for the 4315 the situation should be better.

I am 100% satisfied with where my cg is, but this is just my preference.

Sorry for all the confusion.

Joe
joesmith285 is offline Find More Posts by joesmith285
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2011, 08:34 PM
Joined Sep 2006
188 Posts
want to thank losifanatic for coming up with the whole rudder in the back setup. Also, the white ball link I got from a .30 size kalt nitro helicopter years back. It was for the throttle lever ball link setup.
FlyStraight is offline Find More Posts by FlyStraight
Old May 23, 2011, 08:34 PM
Hope is not a Strategy
Joined Apr 2011
1,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyStraight View Post
thanks ryan for that info. Seems like the 3620 is the way to go. I decided to stay with the 4315 and later possibly get the lighted backend from ken.

Just got done moving rudder servo to the end, opposite the elevator servo. There is already a hole for the servo there. I used the same setup as the elevator linkage except I used 4-40 threaded rod and drilled out a 2-56 ball link connector for the bigger rod. I tried drilling out the included ball link but it was brittle and split. Not sure where I got my 2-56 ball link but it's white and flexible plastic. Then I drilled out the thumb screw connector for the rod. I haven't balanced the plane yet but with the rudder servo up front I needed 2.5oz of weight in the tail. I still need maybe 1.5oz in the tail, we'll see.

I used the longest dubro hd horn with thumbscrew in the farthest hole from servo. Still had to detune my atv's from 100% to 90% on both sides. I needed to be on the outermost hole otherwise the geometry starts to get whacky. One side moves more than the other, etc. Thus the need to detune atv's instead of using hole closer to the servo. You can get full rudder throw and then some on 100% atv's. The hitec analog 225mg rudder servo is great, centers very well and I like it better this way than the pull/pull as you don't have to readjust the cables based on temperature and wear. The only bad thing is that during a crash there is more weight in the tail thus more breakage due to mass of the tail. Same thing happened to my stick plane. Oh one more thing, you only need two 12" servo extensions for the elevator and rudder (if rudder is in the back) and if your rx is behind the wing tube. Here are the pics (fuzzy due to me shaking and batts running out):
Nice mod, certainly a viable option for people going outside the recommended motor sizes. Gonna be pull-pull for me though as I'm going with the lighter Hacker.
Old May 23, 2011, 08:36 PM
Hope is not a Strategy
Joined Apr 2011
1,417 Posts
Quote:
Thanx Dean
http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-25c-4000-4s1p.html
Or
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9958
Or
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16489

if your on a budget, the last one is the ones I have for the model.
Old May 23, 2011, 08:37 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Also - If you guys want to modify your planes, be my guest, however you should plan it out before beginning:

The fuselage sides are symmetrical. The servo opening in the fuselage on the other side is the opposite elevator servo opening. It's not a rudder servo location and is not in the right place for a rudder servo. 90% endpoint on a servo on a 3D plane is not a great idea particularly if you already have a larger motor than recommmended. We want our endpoints in the 125+ range. I someone wanted to use a servo on a 1200W plane with less than 100 endpoint to move a rudder this big, you'd spec a full-size servo...

..and now look how far we've come from a simple lightweight setup.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old May 23, 2011, 08:37 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,411 Posts
Dubro makes some really nice 2-56 ball link ends for 4-40 rod. They work really well and are super smooth!

If useing the hs5245 servo you only need to go to the second to the last hole on the longest arm(for th erudder servo in the tail) and put the EPA on 90% . The 5245s have much more throw than the hs225s
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old May 23, 2011, 08:39 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2010
1,704 Posts
Quote:
Thanx Dean
I'm using these and they're super nice plus customer service is outstanding. They're a little more than HK batteries but they perform better and have a better US based company standing behind them. Money well spent.
stickybeatz is offline Find More Posts by stickybeatz
Old May 23, 2011, 08:40 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyStraight View Post
want to thank losifanatic for coming up with the whole rudder in the back setup. Also, the white ball link I got from a .30 size kalt nitro helicopter years back. It was for the throttle lever ball link setup.
I can not take the credit for that. Forstar is the one who told me to try that out! It worked well and am very happy with my setup.
Old May 23, 2011, 08:43 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucor basher View Post
Also - If you guys want to modify your planes, be my guest, however you should plan it out before beginning:

The fuselage sides are symmetrical. The servo opening in the fuselage on the other side is the opposite elevator servo opening. It's not a rudder servo location and is not in the right place for a rudder servo. 90% endpoint on a servo on a 3D plane is not a great idea particularly if you already have a larger motor than recommmended. We want our endpoints in the 125+ range. I someone wanted to use a servo on a 1200W plane with less than 100 endpoint to move a rudder this big, you'd spec a full-size servo...

..and now look how far we've come from a simple lightweight setup.
Funny that you said that. I was telling my wife that I need to move my servo link in one more hole to get better resolution and mechanical advantage out of it.