HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2011, 05:03 AM
Advocating for RC Aviation
USA, NJ, Phillipsburg
Joined Jul 2010
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
...I like big air precision flying with some light 3d mixed in. My question would be if I could get a setup to use some of my existing packs? Maybe two 3S 2200-3000 packs for a 6S or perhaps use my 5S 5000 20C packs I use in my Swift heli? Does this plane handle a little more weight for wind penetration?...
Hi again cactus, at 7,200' where you fly, the choices and tradeoffs you make will be more critical than for most of us on these threads not flying in the mountains. Going gas or glow may be more advantageous for you, weight and flight time wise?

5S 5000 is also near Osiris territory so check that out for precision and wind penetration. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1173419 Just a thought. Dana
danamania is offline Find More Posts by danamania
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2011, 07:58 AM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,114 Posts
Quote:
Wow! I just ran across this plane on the 3DHS website. Looks great. I am looking to move up into a bigger plane this year. Currently flying the v2 47" SHP on 13x8 prop on 3s 3000mah packs for several seasons now and it goes to the field every time. I like big air precision flying with some light 3d mixed in. My question would be if I could get a setup to use some of my existing packs? Maybe two 3S 2200-3000 packs for a 6S or perhaps use my 5S 5000 20C packs I use in my Swift heli? Does this plane handle a little more weight for wind penetration?

Edit: I was considering a 72" Extra /DLE 30 setup for long flights, but I don't think it will fit in my xTerra! This seems about the right size to get that bigger feel without having to get a trailer to haul it to the field.
You could definitely use two of the 3s 2200's in series to make a 6s 2200. You would need a custom wound motor to about 400-475kv. Shoot a PM over to RCBirk21, he had a 51" slick that he did a custom wound motor for 6s on. He loved the plane. The 59 would need a slightly larger motor, but otherwise it can easily be done. The 5s5000 is a bit heavy, but you mentioned that you do more big air with light 3d. My experience with the 51" Slick is that Slicks are extremely tolerant of some extra weight without much loss in flying characteristics. The 5s5000 would be a bit heavier than the optimal 5s setup (5s 3300-3500 I think), but the plane would definitely fly with it. 3d performance might suffer a bit, but you might also not even notice it. Just my 2 cents

On the other hand, batteries are so darn cheap that for 40 bucks or less you can have the optimal battery for it...
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Feb 27, 2011, 09:09 AM
USA, NJ, Phillipsburg
Joined Jul 2010
1,390 Posts
At that altitude, he will need an optimal fit all the way around or performance will suffer. Dana
Old Feb 27, 2011, 09:44 AM
Joined Jan 2010
813 Posts
Why did 3DHS change the 59" to a 54" fuse and 59" wing span?

One of the things I liked best about the 51" & 71" , was the fuse was the same lenght as the wings

I dont like short fuses with big wing spans

I'm going to order the 59" tomorrow, and was wondering if it will fly different with the shorter fuse in relationship to the wings
fltekdiver is offline Find More Posts by fltekdiver
Old Feb 27, 2011, 09:46 AM
Monroe, Michigan
Joined Oct 2002
1,639 Posts
From a few posts ago.

As far as the design goes we decided to get the slick in to the 10% rule that Imac follows, this way people will not complain about the rule. To be honest this is probably the best flying generations of the slicks.

Andrew
Andrew Jesky is online now Find More Posts by Andrew Jesky
Old Feb 27, 2011, 11:00 AM
Joined Jan 2010
813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jesky View Post
From a few posts ago.

As far as the design goes we decided to get the slick in to the 10% rule that Imac follows, this way people will not complain about the rule. To be honest this is probably the best flying generations of the slicks.

Andrew
10/4, thanks

So for people like myself that don't fly Imac, we will benefit with the new design changes, and have a better flying plane then the previous models
Old Feb 27, 2011, 01:17 PM
0x46 0x50 0x56
United States, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2001
6,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danamania View Post
5S 5000 is also near Osiris territory so check that out for precision and wind penetration. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1173419 Just a thought. Dana
Thanks Dana, I see I can share my Swift heli 5S packs with the Osiris too. Going to read up on it now.
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Feb 27, 2011, 05:16 PM
USA, NJ, Phillipsburg
Joined Jul 2010
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Dana, I see I can share my Swift heli 5S packs with the Osiris too. Going to read up on it now.
Osiris rules. I put 4 more flights on mine today and had about 6 yesterday. Extremely precise if set-up as instructed by 3DHS and AJ. Excellent in the wind and calm. Really cuts. Lands very slow and gentle too. Only issue is that the blue version is not as easy to see in poor light as the red one is. I have the blue one and love the scheme but I did modify it by adding black behind the canopy above the existing stripes. Makes it easier to see in profile and looks cool with the smoked canopy too. Have fun deciding! P.S. Ordered my 59" Slick yesterday which will probably be a 5S or 6S set-up. Dana
Old Mar 02, 2011, 02:09 PM
Glens Falls, NY
Joined Apr 2010
1,296 Posts
Will deans connectors be sufficient for a 5s setup? Don't know how many amps deans are good for.
TG43 is offline Find More Posts by TG43
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2011, 02:13 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG43 View Post
Will deans connectors be sufficient for a 5s setup? Don't know how many amps deans are good for.
yes.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Mar 02, 2011, 02:16 PM
3D Legion: "for we are many"
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Sep 2003
2,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jesky View Post
I was just able to check on the motor, I'm running the A40-12s on a 15x8 prop. I haven't checked watts but I wouwld imagine somewhere over 1200 watts. Its great power for me up in Salt Lake City, which the Elevation is about 4500msl.
You may have to come back on the prop a bit down in lower elevations.

I also have another 59 setup on 4s and its running the A40-10s. I have it on the same prop and it flies just as good. It was basically because I have a bunch of 5s packs that I went with the 12s. If you have a lot of 4s setups for your planes to run 8s on the bigger stuff I think you will be happy with 4s.

Once I get the Orange 59" back from Mark Leseberg I'll measure the CG and give it to you. This airframe is really happy with running a bit more forward CG and still 3d's extremely well. It tracks amazingly well, probably the best tracking small plane I have flown. I was actually out practicing a ton of IMAC with it before the weather got nasty.

Andrew
I am in Denver at 5500msl. I don't have the 4s or the 5s packs, so if you were starting from scratch what motor and battery would you recommend for me? Thanks
aerosheldon is online now Find More Posts by aerosheldon
Old Mar 02, 2011, 02:29 PM
Joined Jan 2010
813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG43 View Post
Yes, but barley

I use XT-60's theres a big write up on the threads about people using Deans
and them melting etc because they cant handle the current
Old Mar 02, 2011, 04:38 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
I use Dean's on my setups that pull in excess of 95A per connector.

No problems, many years now.

you can pretty much find write-ups on people destroying everything, including bricks and anvils, on the internet. This tells you next to nothing about the components, and an awful lot about the people.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 02, 2011, 04:56 PM
Joined Jan 2010
813 Posts
I'm building the 71" now, and just ordered these, as recommended on the 71" Slick thread :

http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-po...ck-75-amp.html

$44.00 for 10 pairs, but Ive read where people deans melted ,as you have much more experiance then me in this feild

Its good to know you didnt have any issues, thanks !
Old Mar 02, 2011, 05:01 PM
Monroe, Michigan
Joined Oct 2002
1,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosheldon View Post
I am in Denver at 5500msl. I don't have the 4s or the 5s packs, so if you were starting from scratch what motor and battery would you recommend for me? Thanks
If it were me I would be running the 5s setup that I'm running, it just works out well and had quite a bit of power at my 4500 msl.

Andrew
Andrew Jesky is online now Find More Posts by Andrew Jesky