HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:35 PM
Aussies fly Down Under!
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2012
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st timer View Post
130,I've been using Turnigy batteries for years now as I started out using Flightpower and Fullymax but was disappointed with proformance and switched to Turnigy 30c....but the answer to your ??? in regards to size is 5s 30c 3600mah and 4000mah,and the battery I used today is 2yrs old with no probs what so ever.
Except maybe the pilot?
Shirty is offline Find More Posts by Shirty
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:08 PM
United States, MD, Lexington Park
Joined Jun 2002
437 Posts
I went ahead and made a small adjustment in battery placement this afternoon for a less nose heavy CG. Between all my RealFlight practice with Tommy's 50CC Slick and the feel of my new 71" Slick I felt the 59" was dropping a bit to quick when rolled inverted. Maybe a 1/4" move back for the 4000 mAh 4S GensAce, getting pretty close to the wing tube now. Can't wait for some good weather to test it out and see how she feels.
Reaper802 is offline Find More Posts by Reaper802
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:50 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,759 Posts
Right fixed the Slick up over the weekend! Changed it from bullets to direct solder on the motor wires and the motor stopping problem went away Also, as I'm now using an 18MZ, I put a GPS module in there. Forgot to look at the details of the flight afterward unfortunately!

Flew it today but it started snowing again Next promising day is Wednesday and Thursday looks even better. Hopefully I'll be able to get it out then and get a video uploaded
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Finally! Durafly Junior Review
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:46 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,374 Posts
Man I hate that white stuff!! Left Illinois to get away from it!!

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:51 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Man I hate that white stuff!! Left Illinois to get away from it!!

SteveT.
Ditto!

Snow's okay for a day or two, then I want it to go away, haha! My indoor flying event was closed last Saturday due to snow Hopefully it's gone by this Saturday. Here in the south east, we rarely get snow. Hopefully this will be the last snowfall for 2013 Wish I could join you in California!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:56 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPilot1234 View Post
Ditto!

Snow's okay for a day or two, then I want it to go away, haha! My indoor flying event was closed last Saturday due to snow Hopefully it's gone by this Saturday. Here in the south east, we rarely get snow. Hopefully this will be the last snowfall for 2013 Wish I could join you in California!
It has been beautiful here the last week, was able to go flying on Saturday, and am going tomorrow....batteries already charged, transmitter charging, going to fly my 72" Extra that I haven't flown for a while...

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:25 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
It has been beautiful here the last week, was able to go flying on Saturday, and am going tomorrow....batteries already charged, transmitter charging, going to fly my 72" Extra that I haven't flown for a while...

SteveT.
Now that's awesome!

Where I live I still feel a bit cold in summer. Temperature usually hovers around 19-21 Celsius. I find that it's adequately warm but not hot. It's only hot I find when it gets to around 25 Celsius. I wished I lived in California or in the Mediterranean to get warmer temperatures
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:31 PM
Aussies fly Down Under!
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2012
186 Posts
Snow? What is snow?
(im australian)
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:20 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirty View Post
Snow? What is snow?
(im australian)
Don't worry about what it is, just be fortunate you don't have it, haha!

I just realised it's summer down there, how is it for flying? I read an article about a week ago that said temperatures were reaching around 40 celsius. Do you fly in that or just wait for the cooler evenings?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:17 PM
Aussies fly Down Under!
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2012
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPilot1234 View Post
Don't worry about what it is, just be fortunate you don't have it, haha!

I just realised it's summer down there, how is it for flying? I read an article about a week ago that said temperatures were reaching around 40 celsius. Do you fly in that or just wait for the cooler evenings?
Gday mate, hows things?

yeah, its been a scorcher this summer. The last two weeks have been between 40-45 degrees every bloody day (about 105-113 in the old scale), today is a nice cool 35! (thank christ we have awesome beaches for swimming here in perth - if you dont mind the great white sharks!)

Its waaaay too hot in the middle of the day, so been getting up round 5am to get down the field early, (who said I have a flying addiction? lol), before the heat and the wind roll in, (we gets lots of wind here as well in summer, but it just feels like a hairdryer blowing hot air at you its so hot).

Its the main reason I went the motrofly for my 59. A few blokes on this thread said the hackers were getting too hot (in places like texas and arizona), and the motrofly was still cool to touch - so given our summer here the motrofly was the go.

I'm embarrassed to say I only just finished my 59 build last week, now I am just waiting on a low wind day to maiden it. But my 47 extra has been keeping me amused surfing the wind early each morning.

Its obviously winter up there? Photos like yours above dont seem real to me, as I have never even seen the snow in real life, but pretty sure i'll take the heat over the cold any day thanks!

Plus lots of bushfires again this year, seems every summer just gets hotter and hotter now. Who said climate change wasnt real?
Last edited by Shirty; Jan 22, 2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:05 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirty View Post
Gday mate, hows things?

yeah, its been a scorcher this summer. The last two weeks have been between 40-45 degrees every bloody day (about 105-113 in the old scale), today is a nice cool 35! (thank christ we have awesome beaches for swimming here in perth - if you dont mind the great white sharks!)

Its waaaay too hot in the middle of the day, so been getting up round 5am to get down the field early, (who said I have a flying addiction? lol), before the heat and the wind roll in, (we gets lots of wind here as well in summer, but it just feels like a hairdryer blowing hot air at you its so hot).

Its the main reason I went the motrofly for my 59. A few blokes on this thread said the hackers were getting too hot (in places like texas and arizona), and the motrofly was still cool to touch - so given our summer here the motrofly was the go.

I'm embarrassed to say I only just finished my 59 build last week, now I am just waiting on a low wind day to maiden it. But my 47 extra has been keeping me amused surfing the wind early each morning.

Its obviously winter up there? Photos like yours above dont seem real to me, as I have never even seen the snow in real life, but pretty sure i'll take the heat over the cold any day thanks!

Plus lots of bushfires again this year, seems every summer just gets hotter and hotter now. Who said climate change wasnt real?
Things are good! Just have had a lot of work recently meaning less flying but now things have eased up a bit I have more time

Woah, that's hot! If we got that temperature in the UK, the whole country would be brought to meltdown, quite literally, haha The beaches sound lovely. As for the hot wind, I hate it. I remember going to Houston, TX in July. Now in the UK even in the height of summer if you open your window in the car you'll get a nice cool breeze. In Houston, it made me hotter!

As for waking up early, I do that too in June when the mornings are very light Although I have to wait until 7AM due to noise restrictions. But by this time it's fairly light I really enjoy morning and evening flying!

The Motorfly certainly is very cool. I can fly back to back and just not worry; it's great!

Great to hear you've finished the build. Sometimes I buy a plane and just never get round to building it; the kit is just left to gather dust and I hope I'll build it eventually. The 47 Extra certainly looks great. Joe Smith's video of him flying it over the lake is a great video of it

As you say, take the heat! The cold makes you feel miserable in the winter

In the UK temperatures as a whole are getting hotter. But it means we get more rain due to increased evapotranspiration.

Glad to see your 59 is doing well! I love the orange scheme!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:48 AM
O'Fallon, MO USA
Joined Dec 1999
1,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by graniteguy View Post
I fly off a rough and bumpy runway, I have collapsed the LG a few times,I have reinforced the formers from firewall to where the cf rods end. Question is has anyone tried using nylon bolts to secure the landing gear? my thought is they should shear instead of ripping out the back two LG formers..
Thoughts?
graniteguy,
Could you post some pictures of your landing gear plate reinforcements? Also, If anyone else feels their LG plate reinforcement is really good please post photos.

Thanks,
Brad
byoung is offline Find More Posts by byoung
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:23 PM
Inverted tail dragger
Australia, WA, Kalamunda
Joined Jan 2008
614 Posts
I use nylon bolt's on afew of my planes and the one that always keeps getting riped out is my 55" Edge540 and I have to say it's getting to be a right royal pain in tha a$$, so I've gone back to std bolts and now I'm just trying to land abit better..practice practice
1st timer is offline Find More Posts by 1st timer
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:40 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,374 Posts
Just remember, take offs are optional....landings are mandatory!!

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:05 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,433 Posts
If you are landing hard enough to rip out the landing gear plate that's called a crash not a landing
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic