SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:30 AM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,360 Posts
all the rest of the stuff i need for my 76" MXS-r was ordered last night so hopefully get a maiden in on that in the next couple of weeks but i doubt i will fly a gasser at any of the soccer fields.

I will let you know next time we are headed to biello though since most of the time we are at noonday
shadow102 is offline Find More Posts by shadow102
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:42 AM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2007
6,800 Posts
I fly my 30cc Slick at jj on weekdays early when its deserted. Been doing that for 3yrs with no problems.

I can come to noonday as well sometime too.
GoldCraft is online now Find More Posts by GoldCraft
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:19 PM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCraft View Post
I fly my 30cc Slick at jj on weekdays early when its deserted. Been doing that for 3yrs with no problems.

I can come to noonday as well sometime too.
Whats JJ GC ? Is it close to me.. Never mind.. I just googled your area your about 1 hour + from me.
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:21 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinma1 View Post
Whats JJ GC ? Is it close to me.. Never mind.. I just googled your area your about 1 hour + from me.
correct, we are north west metro atlanta area, although everywhere in atlanta takes 30minutes or two hours with traffic
shadow102 is offline Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:22 PM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2007
6,800 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinma1 View Post
Yeah.....JJ Biello soccer park in Woodstock. All the RC clubs are 45 mins drives from me so JJ has been my best option . I go to the Pecan Patch when i have a sunday off ....its over an hour drive but my parents live near by so I visit them too when I go down there.
GoldCraft is online now Find More Posts by GoldCraft
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:04 PM
KI4KRA
United States, NC, Spring Lake
Joined May 2005
81 Posts
Maiden this afternoon was awesome. Followed instructions to the letter and only needed 2 click of aileron. Was an absolute delight to fly.
Ogrestud is offline Find More Posts by Ogrestud
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:08 AM
Perpetual 3D Noob
United States, KY, Calvert City
Joined Jun 2010
294 Posts
Awesome!! That's great to hear, glad it went well. Welcome to the addiction!! I haven't got my replacement 59 together yet. Family vacations and honey do's are really cutting into my plane building time! It's pretty bad when I am sitting in Orlando, wishing I was here building/flying.
PlaneCraz3d is online now Find More Posts by PlaneCraz3d
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:59 AM
KI4KRA
Joined May 2005
81 Posts
I think I need some advice on which battery to use. My first flight was a half throttle snore-fest maiden that I just checked trim and linkages. After the first flight the battery was not warm, and the motor was cool to the touch, but that could be attributed to the Tru Turn Turbo Cool spinner. Anyway, the second flight I did some rolls, and some blenders, and a couple knife edge loops and the battery was puffed ever so slightly so my guess is it is too low of a discharge rating. My current setup is as follows. My question is should I go with a higher discharge battery and if so how high, would I have to adjust anything else such as prop?

Castle 100a Lite
Castle 10a BEC
Motorfly 4315-714
Xoar 15x7e
Currently Zippy Compact 4s 4000mah 25c discharge Battery getting 4.5 minutes with ~480mah left on the battery.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:32 AM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrestud View Post
I think I need some advice on which battery to use. My first flight was a half throttle snore-fest maiden that I just checked trim and linkages. After the first flight the battery was not warm, and the motor was cool to the touch, but that could be attributed to the Tru Turn Turbo Cool spinner. Anyway, the second flight I did some rolls, and some blenders, and a couple knife edge loops and the battery was puffed ever so slightly so my guess is it is too low of a discharge rating. My current setup is as follows. My question is should I go with a higher discharge battery and if so how high, would I have to adjust anything else such as prop?

Castle 100a Lite
Castle 10a BEC
Motorfly 4315-714
Xoar 15x7e
Currently Zippy Compact 4s 4000mah 25c discharge Battery getting 4.5 minutes with ~480mah left on the battery.
Awesome setup apart from that battery! I use Thunder Power 3850mAh 65C on this plane. Not only will they give more power, they won't puff and will remain cool to warm after every flight. They're expensive but really are great I've used them on this plane and the fast charge rates and long life cycles means I can get away with just buying two and recharging them over and over at the field at 10A (can charge at about 40A if you want with these batteries, haha! ).
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best of Blackout
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:34 AM
KI4KRA
Joined May 2005
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPilot1234 View Post
Awesome setup apart from that battery! I use Thunder Power 3850mAh 65C on this plane. Not only will they give more power, they won't puff and will remain cool to warm after every flight. They're expensive but really are great I've used them on this plane and the fast charge rates and long life cycles means I can get away with just buying two and recharging them over and over at the field at 10A (can charge at about 40A if you want with these batteries, haha! ).

What is your flying time with this battery?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:42 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
If you are only getting 4.5 minutes then your battery is over the hill. I use 20c Zippys and 25c Gens Ace 4s 4000 and get a solid 7 minutes with 20+ % left in the pack.

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:43 PM
KI4KRA
Joined May 2005
81 Posts
They are new batteries. Well I they have gone through a dozen cycles or so.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:32 PM
Perpetual 3D Noob
United States, KY, Calvert City
Joined Jun 2010
294 Posts
+1 to what DennisC said. I'm running ulyour exact setup with 4s 4000 25c GensAce packs. I get 7 minute flights with 3.7-3.8 still on the pack.

One qualifier though...initially I was running a xoar pja 15x8 (a gas prop), I was only getting 5 1/2 min flights with 20% left in packs. I have since switched over to xoar pjn 15x8's (electric) and flight time as well as mah used has gotten better. There is a huge difference in the electric and gas versions of these props. They won't hurt anything just won't be as efficient.
PlaneCraz3d is online now Find More Posts by PlaneCraz3d
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:34 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrestud View Post

Castle 100a Lite
Castle 10a BEC
Motorfly 4315-714
Xoar 15x7e
The one thing that everybody seems to have missed, is that you are taking your 4000mAH packs down to ~480mAH......this is a "No-No"!! And...if these are new packs, by repeatedly taking them down this far, you have probably damaged them already...

I never drain a battery to less than 20% and really if it is 20% on the ground, it was less in the air, so, I really like to only take them down to 30%.....20% of a 4000 = 800 mAH, and 30% = 1200mAH...If you are taking 4000mAH packs down to 480mAH (12%), you are taking them down way too far, and it is no wonder they are puffing..

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:44 PM
KI4KRA
Joined May 2005
81 Posts
480 is not a repeated offense. These packs are normally flown in my Quad and my timer on them brings them down with 1000 left usually.

My first flight I brought it down after 5 minutes and it had 1200 left, but I flew it at half throttle to trim and make sure everything was tight. I took 30 seconds off the time thinking I would not use an extra 800 mah flying a little more aggressive.