HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:03 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,466 Posts
The 8fg is an awesome radio. I love mine.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:07 PM
Perpetual 3D Noob
United States, KY, Calvert City
Joined Jun 2010
284 Posts
Afaik, it is not possible to buddy box Futaba and JR/Spektrum
PlaneCraz3d is offline Find More Posts by PlaneCraz3d
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:11 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirty View Post
Back after more research...

Seems the Futaba 8fg only slightly edges out the Spektrum dx8 in a couple of functions, and popularity with people on here. probably a better choice for long term 3d use.

however after using the dx6i, the dx8 menus, layout etc are pretty much the same = so maybe easier fo me to learn on... (especially when I dont know what half the functions are for, never used them to date).

arrgggg! decisions, decisions...

oh.. I guess then that you cannot link two different brands of transmitter for training??? ie: The guy who is going to help train me is using a JR. So if I used the futaba and the futaba reciever, he could not train me as his would be the master and not bound to the futaba reciever in the plane? Is this correct?
That's correct

I think if you're all ready on Spektrum, get the DX8 But if you can afford to switch, I'd get the 8FG Super
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best of Blackout
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:15 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Back after more research...

Seems the Futaba 8fg only slightly edges out the Spektrum dx8 in a couple of functions, and popularity with people on here. probably a better choice for long term 3d use.

however after using the dx6i, the dx8 menus, layout etc are pretty much the same = so maybe easier fo me to learn on... (especially when I dont know what half the functions are for, never used them to date).

arrgggg! decisions, decisions...

oh.. I guess then that you cannot link two different brands of transmitter for training??? ie: The guy who is going to help train me is using a JR. So if I used the futaba and the futaba reciever, he could not train me as his would be the master and not bound to the futaba reciever in the plane? Is this correct?
Are you still on Spektrum receivers? If so, get the DX8. That's the only reason i did not switch to an 8FG when upgrading from the DX6i
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:25 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,665 Posts
All I have to say is even airliners crash with Futaba radios!!!!

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:28 PM
Perpetual 3D Noob
Joined Jun 2010
284 Posts
Thats classic!!
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:43 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
All I have to say is even airliners crash with Futaba radios!!!!

SteveT
Ahahah

For anyone who doesn't get it:
Boeing 727 jet crashed deliberately into Mexican desert (0 min 43 sec)

This plane was crashed using the 8FG
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best of Blackout
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:43 PM
Aussies fly Down Under!
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2012
507 Posts
lol, seen that one... Looks like me flying at the park...

Ok, this is my FIRST 3d plane, its my FIRST balsa plane. All I have flown to date is foamy warbirds and a couple of 450 size 3d helis. These all have spektrum receivers, but I can always just keep these on my dx6i. (which was the plan at least to start with)

So I am not tied to a brand, cause stepping up to 3dhs airframes etc is all new, and so all my new 3dhs planes can be set so they all run on the new transmitter and receivers.

The futaba definatley seems to have a slight edge, and seems the most popular, but I do like the spektrum stuff, (but again this is all I have used to date so nothing to compare), had no issues to date either and would make learning a bit easier i think. But again maybe not the best choice long-term. They are both about the same dollars over here so no help there.

However, just to make it more complicated, my trainer has a jr (which he loves, and I dont mind the feel and look of), and I wont be able to buddybox train with him if not jr. (this not a major, dont think i should buy a transmitter based on "training" requirements....?)

BUT... Back a page or two, one of you say that JR will no longer be using spektrum dsmx? Is this true? I went to the JR website yesterday (jrradios.com),
and they are featuring their new models running on spektrum dsmx...? They also have a write up about spektrum dsmx in their "whats new" column. So, does anyone know if they will be moving aways from spektrum as stated for a fact? Seems a bit strange that they would introduce "new" spektrum dsmx stuff only to be changing it...? (not a very smart business decision).

I hate it when there is no clear cut choice after days of research trawling the net and these forums for info.... I know, i know, with radios it seems to more about personal choice.

Crap, looks like I am going to have to flip a coin...
Shirty is offline Find More Posts by Shirty
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:28 PM
Perpetual 3D Noob
Joined Jun 2010
284 Posts
If you look at the radios at jrradios.com (XG6, XG8, XG11) you will see they are all DMSS. DMSS is not compatible with DSMX equipment. You can still get new DSMX JR radios x9505, 11x, 12x, but I believe they have all been discontinued and are not still in production.

After a little more searching the site I did find where they still list the x9505 in DSMX. So maybe it will stay in production? Its a little odd that it isn't listed with their radios its in another section where you have to search for it.
Last edited by PlaneCraz3d; Oct 13, 2012 at 11:32 PM. Reason: More info
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:45 PM
Perpetual 3D Noob
Joined Jun 2010
284 Posts
Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to talk you out of getting a JR, they are great radios. Two guys I fly with have 12x's and love them so much that they said they will not upgrade until they stop working. The 9503 is a great radio too, but something to be aware of is the programming on any JR will be as different form your dx6i as the 8fg is.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:48 PM
Aussies fly Down Under!
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2012
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddux99 View Post
If you look at the radios at jrradios.com (XG6, XG8, XG11) you will see they are all DMSS. DMSS is not compatible with DSMX equipment. You can still get new DSMX JR radios x9505, 11x, 12x, but I believe they have all been discontinued and are not still in production.

After a little more searching the site I did find where they still list the x9505 in DSMX. So maybe it will stay in production? Its a little odd that it isn't listed with their radios its in another section where you have to search for it.
Thanks. Seems all the hobby shops here carry all three, all the spektrum, all the futabas and all the jrs. I'll ask my local guy about the jr stuff next week.

I'm leaning towards the futuba atm. Guess the best thing to do, now I have it narrowed down, is to go in to my lhs and check them all out as suggested. Thanks everyone for ur help and info.

Back on thread, what do you think about the 59 as my first "learn 3d" plane? My 4wd can fit a 51-60 size plane no worries without taking the wings off, but my thinking was (and I want to get a 71 next, then maybe a 100, or even 120 size), that the 59 slick would give me that "big plane feel", and as usual, I like to jump in the deep end. its also a 4th generation airframe, so usually the later models of something are improved. but main reason was simply the popularity of the model, quality and everything I have read about 3dhs airframes has been very positive. (pretty unusual for any business - speaks volumes). thoughts?
Shirty is offline Find More Posts by Shirty
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:46 AM
Perpetual 3D Noob
Joined Jun 2010
284 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you on this one. The 59 was my first "real" 3d plane. Oh, I've had some 3d foamies but nothing like this slick. I decided to go with this one after reading this thread. All I read was praise and glowing reviews about this plane, how stable it was, flys bigger than it is, etc.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:04 AM
Carpe Fermentum
United States, VA, Clifton
Joined May 2008
89 Posts
I love my JR 9303. I'm actually flying the old FM version with a Spektrum module plugged in the back that converts it to 2.4 GHz DSM2. That way I can use the inexpensive orange receivers or Spektrum receivers with it, and can even run both 72MHz receivers and 2.4 GHz rxs off one transmitter by just changing the module back to a FM channel.

Its very easy to program (and I have flown full house 6 servo sailplanes, 3D planes and even helicopters on mine), has more buttons and mixes than you could ever use, and holds 30 models.

I would go for a used one either on ebay or here on RC groups.

Doc
DocOne is offline Find More Posts by DocOne
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:15 AM
United States, OH, Tipp City
Joined Oct 2011
238 Posts
Quote:
lol, seen that one... Looks like me flying at the park...

Ok, this is my FIRST 3d plane, its my FIRST balsa plane. All I have flown to date is foamy warbirds and a couple of 450 size 3d helis. These all have spektrum receivers, but I can always just keep these on my dx6i. (which was the plan at least to start with)

So I am not tied to a brand, cause stepping up to 3dhs airframes etc is all new, and so all my new 3dhs planes can be set so they all run on the new transmitter and receivers.

The futaba definatley seems to have a slight edge, and seems the most popular, but I do like the spektrum stuff, (but again this is all I have used to date so nothing to compare), had no issues to date either and would make learning a bit easier i think. But again maybe not the best choice long-term. They are both about the same dollars over here so no help there.

However, just to make it more complicated, my trainer has a jr (which he loves, and I dont mind the feel and look of), and I wont be able to buddybox train with him if not jr. (this not a major, dont think i should buy a transmitter based on "training" requirements....?)

BUT... Back a page or two, one of you say that JR will no longer be using spektrum dsmx? Is this true? I went to the JR website yesterday (jrradios.com),
and they are featuring their new models running on spektrum dsmx...? They also have a write up about spektrum dsmx in their "whats new" column. So, does anyone know if they will be moving aways from spektrum as stated for a fact? Seems a bit strange that they would introduce "new" spektrum dsmx stuff only to be changing it...? (not a very smart business decision).

I hate it when there is no clear cut choice after days of research trawling the net and these forums for info.... I know, i know, with radios it seems to more about personal choice.

Crap, looks like I am going to have to flip a coin...
I'm a little late to this discussion, but here is my two cents:

If you already have a bunch of aircraft on a DX6i, you will want to move them over to the new radio. I started with the DX6i and upgraded to a DX7s and wanted to instantly move everything I had over to the new radio, it just felt that much better. The DX7s is basically a DX8 chassis with a few less features. You could then either sell the DX6i or keep it as a back-up. I gave mine to my son, so I still have it available as a back-up, and he got an upgrade from the really crappy RTF transmitters he was using on his heli's. You will then be compatible with your friend's set-up for buddy boxing, as well. Heck, if money is no object, go for the DX18. You'd be set for life.

As far as the 59 Slick being a first balsa 3d airplane, it is an excellent choice, in my opinion. It can be set up to fly very mild starting out, and then "opened up" as your skill level increases. It also has a nice big feel to it for an airplane of its size. I spent the summer flying mine, and then just stepped up to a 50cc airplane a couple weeks ago...the time I spent flying 59 Slick had me feeling perfectly comfortable with the 50cc plane right out of the gate.
aero550 is offline Find More Posts by aero550
Last edited by aero550; Oct 14, 2012 at 01:25 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:04 AM
E TN
Joined Jan 2003
241 Posts
I went and looked at a 3d event and looked at what a majority of pilots where flying and the jr was the norm so i ordered a 9505 and have not looked back. I liked the 6i, but no comparison to the jr. I have smaller hands and the jr felt a little better than dx8i. Programming is not that much different than a spektrum. I bought a used 59 slick and first flight I felt so comfortable with it, I am a 3d noob but it is a great confidence building airplane. (i had flown my 48" buck/half, and a epp 330 extra, and a 68 velox). Another advantage to the jr is you can buddy box with a spektrum. So best advice is go hold and play with all the radios you can, and pick the one you like.

Bill
Komet ME163 is online now Find More Posts by Komet ME163