HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:05 AM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirty View Post
Yep. I believe its the 4315 I will go with. Summer is HOT over here and the extra horses couldnt hurt either.
You should! Awesome motor and actually only 12g heavier than the Hacker when going for the lightened version so weight difference is negligible really

Btw, glad you like it on here on RCGroups! I've only been here about a year and everyone has been very kind and contributive! And I've made friends as well like Steve T.

People at clubs can be a bit snooty unfortunately as you say. I think the best place to get help is here, so much knowledge!
RCPilot1234 is online now Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TBS Discovery Pro Test
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:04 AM
Aussies fly Down Under!
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2012
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPilot1234 View Post
You should! Awesome motor and actually only 12g heavier than the Hacker when going for the lightened version so weight difference is negligible really

Btw, glad you like it on here on RCGroups! I've only been here about a year and everyone has been very kind and contributive! And I've made friends as well like Steve T.

People at clubs can be a bit snooty unfortunately as you say. I think the best place to get help is here, so much knowledge!
Thats exactly what I mean. I found help VERY hard to come by until I was told by the bloke helping me with this build for the 59 to go to this site. (and it was just random chance I met this bloke at the park who actually wanted to help - unlike all the others I'd met at clubs to date). Already its saved me probably thousands of dollars in just selecting a 3d airframe and equipment to go with as a starting point for my 3d flying career. lol.

Most (not all), but most of the hobby shops here in Perth will tell you conflicting stories or whatever they think you want to hear to make the sale.

Obviously here the advantage is you can trawl back through stuff and try to find a consensus based on experience. But the best thing is that people like Rob at ADC, joe, ben and all these dudes will jump in and post and set the record straight if necessary. (its probably a big pain in the for them, but its MUCH appreciated).

update: Further trawling has resulted in two possible brands for the new slick transmitter. Futuba or JR. I dont think I need a top of the line model, but as there are so many from each and do all this stuff I have no idea about, any suggestions from anyone on a couple of models from these brands that are mid-range and good for the 59 slick??? (and to learn on, which is why I dont think a top of the line model is the way to go just yet - maybe when I get my 71... )

Then I can go to the shop and know what I am asking for, (a big bonus u think? ), land hands on them and see what I like as suggested previously. Any good step ups from my dx6i to learn 3d on the 59? A couple of specific model reccomendations from these two brands would be appreciated. Thanks.
Shirty is offline Find More Posts by Shirty
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:50 AM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,249 Posts
radios are like chargers...buy one and done otherwise your going to spend more money in the long run.

Hitec Aurora 9
Futaba 8FG
Spektrum DX8
Airtronic SD10G
JR 11x
JR 9303
JR 9503

All are in the 250-500usd range used or 300-700usd new and they all have different features to pick from
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:08 AM
Perpetual 3D Noob
United States, KY, Calvert City
Joined Jun 2010
255 Posts
I agree with Shadow, radios are like chargers...buy the best radio that you can afford. If you just buy what you need now you'll find yourself wanting a new one later (that may happen anyway ). The list of radios he gave is very nice, but I would watch out for the new JR's. The new XG series is not compatible with any spektrum equipment at all, JR has went their own way and separated completely from Spektrum. The radios mentioned above are compatible but may not be supported much longer by JR. I only mention this because here in the states I have never even seen an actual JR Rx everyone uses Spektrum Rx's because JR's are so expensive and are not readily available.
PlaneCraz3d is offline Find More Posts by PlaneCraz3d
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:47 AM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,710 Posts
This is a hard one!

I would personally go for the Futaba 8FG Super. It really is incredible! Relatively cheap and has a boatload of programming options! A lot better than the DX8 for programming. And the feel of the transmitter is great Also, the FASST 2.4 technology is in my opinion (but also empirically verified to some extent) is more robust and reliable than DSMX. As for anecdotal evidence, I was flying with some buddies who were with DX8's. They all glitched that day (there was something strange about the place we flew at) and my Futaba was fine! I also think the sticks feel nicer on the Futaba. Joe Smith, amazing 3D pilot sponsored by 3DHS and other top brands, said the 8FG is awesome and I believe used it for all his models (including the massive gassers like the 104 Slick) for the 2011 and most of 2012 season.

The only advantage I can see for the DX8 is for the BNF models. But if you don't plan on buying any of them, get the 8FG Super
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:11 AM
Perpetual 3D Noob
United States, KY, Calvert City
Joined Jun 2010
255 Posts
I agree the 8FG Super is an awesome radio and I think the best Futaba out. I haven't ever flown it but it has some really big names flying it, like Joe Smith. I fly a DX8 and love it, however Jerry L. Smith flys at my field and I have the luxury of being able to pick his brain from time to time (he's forgotten more about RC then I'll ever know). He flys the 8FG and won't fly another.

But as for issues, I have never had any and haven't seen any at our club due to radio issues. I do know that Spektrum did have problems with dsm2, and with the early dsmx systems, but they have a very robust link now using both spread spektrum and frequency hopping. Futaba has had their problems too. The 18MZ caused several crashes due to glitches when it came out, but I believe they have been rectified now. I can't prove it and really don't care what they were or why, I don't want to start a brand bashing war here, that never ends pretty. So thats all I have to say on this "brand" vs that "brand" unless we're just talking features vs features.
I am not married to any brand and actually if I was to change radios right now I would get an 8FG! It really does fit in my hand nicely. I have Spektrum now only because I was a total noob when I got it and it (Spektrum) is what everyone at my club flies and what the lhs carries. I would have been completely on my own with Futaba at the time, but now that I at least have a general knowledge of radios I would be tickled with one.
PlaneCraz3d is offline Find More Posts by PlaneCraz3d
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:12 AM
Joined Mar 2011
4,249 Posts
downside of the 8fg...programming is atrocious complete pain in the ass, genuine receivers are super expensive (you do have the orange rx and FRsky options), and i really wish they had some rubber grips on the back of the 8fg like the hitec....funny enough i would consider going to an 8fg if it had those grips.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:18 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,615 Posts
I don't really understand why people complain about 8FG programming. it's not as easy as some radios, but once you get it set up the way you like, just copy the model, zero the trims and save it as "template" and use that to copy for all your new models. bind receiver, adjust sub trims and throws as necessary, good to go.
Irg is online now Find More Posts by Irg
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:26 AM
Joined Mar 2011
4,249 Posts
when you use a hitec you get spoiled...i can setup a brand new model subtrims and all in under 2 minutes. Again this is why i said each radio has its pros and cons. I have to deal with the lack of a SD card, higher latency, and up until now only being able to use genuine receivers
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:31 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,615 Posts
yeah I had the A9. my dog could program it. but I love the 8fg and have never had an issue programming it.
Irg is online now Find More Posts by Irg
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:34 AM
Aussies fly Down Under!
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2012
184 Posts
Thanks. At least now I have a starting point with regard to transmitters. I assume the reciever must be compatible then and they dont cross bind across brands much?
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:39 AM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,710 Posts
I have seen some systems which can cross bind or hack jobs but not many Oh if we just all flew one system
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:41 AM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,710 Posts
I heard Joe Smith saying that the A9 felt slow compared to the Futaba (I guess he means with servo response). Although I haven't tried the A9 yet so I can't really comment on it
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:59 AM
Joined Mar 2011
4,249 Posts
Its the latency of the module hitec has higher than most, you can fix it with a xps module but its not noticable unless your a higher level pilot or your going back and forth between radios your brain can make for the latency.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:32 AM
Aussies fly Down Under!
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2012
184 Posts
Back after more research...

Seems the Futaba 8fg only slightly edges out the Spektrum dx8 in a couple of functions, and popularity with people on here. probably a better choice for long term 3d use.

however after using the dx6i, the dx8 menus, layout etc are pretty much the same = so maybe easier fo me to learn on... (especially when I dont know what half the functions are for, never used them to date).

arrgggg! decisions, decisions...

oh.. I guess then that you cannot link two different brands of transmitter for training??? ie: The guy who is going to help train me is using a JR. So if I used the futaba and the futaba reciever, he could not train me as his would be the master and not bound to the futaba reciever in the plane? Is this correct?
Last edited by Shirty; Oct 13, 2012 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Additional Question