Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:58 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
Try digital servos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPilot1234 View Post
Great to hear! As you say, it is silky smooth to fly

I haven't used the 225's myself but I recall reading a few people not liking them. My guess is the 5245's will feel sharper and dish out more torque. However, I also remember reading the 225's and 5245's have a flaw in the case design. Although I believe it is rectifiable however someone else here will have to give more information on that. If you can afford, get the 7245's I didn't like them at first due to the jitter they get but I can honestly say it hasn't effected flight performance at all for me. Compared the 5245's the 7245's feel even sharper and torquier, especially when running them at 7.4V
Thanks for the insights.
Trill is offline Find More Posts by Trill
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:06 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trill View Post
From looking at your well stocked hangar, I believe you have most, if not all 3DHS planes 50cc size and below.

Please give your impressions of how the 59 performs compared to the 51 and 71.
Though I have the 51" Slick, I haven't built it yet. The difference between the 71 and the 59" though is to me, night and day, they don't fly the same. To me, the 59" is a bit more "wild"...that said, please realize, I am not a good 3D flier, more some sport with some 3D thrown in. The 71" is a great flying plane, as is the 59", just different....

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:54 AM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,351 Posts
Scored one of these in the garage sale last night setup is going to be

motrolfly DM4315-500 w/fg xmount
xoar 15x7
ZTW 85 amp b series
4 Power HD 1207TG servos
Haiyin 6s 3300mah 30c packs
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Last edited by shadow102; Oct 11, 2012 at 05:17 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:20 AM
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
Quality components

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
Scored one of these in the garage sale last night setup is going to be

motrolfly DM4315-500 w/fg xmount
xoar 15x7
ZTW 85 amp b series
4 Power HD 1207TG servos
Haiyin 6s 3300mah 30c packs
I've heard that the Power HD servos are good. How do the 1207TGs compare to the
HS 5245MGs for size, weight, and performance?

Where can I get the Power HD 1207TG servos?
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:34 AM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,351 Posts
http://www.alofthobbies.com/hd-1207tg.html

They look to be about the same size, if they work out as well as i think they will i am going to pull all the 5245mg's out of my 60" EF Extra for these as well. I have been running the 8309tg in the elevator of the Extra and love it so far, i have also completely outfitted my 30cc mxs with 8309tg's but havent flown it yet
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:42 AM
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
http://www.alofthobbies.com/hd-1207tg.html

They look to be about the same size, if they work out as well as i think they will i am going to pull all the 5245mg's out of my 60" EF Extra for these as well. I have been running the 8309tg in the elevator of the Extra and love it so far, i have also completely outfitted my 30cc mxs with 8309tg's but havent flown it yet
Thanks!

The specifications show that they are fast and strong with plenty of torque.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:48 PM
Aussies fly Down Under!
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2012
366 Posts
59 Slick

G'day All,

I am sure you have heard this a million times before....

I am relatively new to the hobby n this is my first post, (have a few foamy warbirds and some helis), but this will be my first 3d/balsa plane. I ordered the following, any suggestions/comments on the set up etc? Thanks!

1. 59 slick
2. Hacker A40-10s
3. Castle lite 100 (I believe this esc is a bit big (?) however I want some redundancy in my electronics and to plan for future purchases. Ie: I will run a 4s 4000 set up so i can double up for a 70" ish size plane later).
4. hs 225 servos with the dub672 arms
5. 15x6 or 15x7 prop.

Cant wait...cant wait... cant wait...
Shirty is online now Find More Posts by Shirty
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:58 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirty View Post
G'day All,

I am relatively new to the hobby n this is my first post, (have a few foamy warbirds and some helis), but this will be my first 3d/balsa plane. I ordered the following, any suggestions/comments on the set up etc? Thanks!

1. 59 slick
2. Hacker A40-10s
3. Castle lite 100 (I believe this esc is a bit big (?) however I want some redundancy in my electronics and to plan for future purchases. Ie: I will run a 4s 4000 set up so i can double up for a 70" ish size plane later).
5. 15x6 or 15x7 prop.

The ESC is fine, that is exactly what I have in mine....

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:22 AM
Aussies fly Down Under!
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2012
366 Posts
Thanks Steve, all ok then...

Also, getting a lot of conflicting info on batteries for this set up. I was of the belief that the hacker A40-10s was better with a 4s setup (?) and the A40-12s was more the 5s setup. (?). I have already purchased the A40-10S, so battery selection must be based on this for the time being.

Would a thunder power 4S 3850mah 60C be a good battery to use with the A40-10s? Any idea on expected flight times? (I understand flight times are throttle related, but would like to be able to get a solid 5-6 mins without worry...

Any other battery reccomendations for this A40-10S motor with a castle lite 100 esc and 15x6 or 15x7 prop?

THANKS, appreciate any help.
Shirty.
Last edited by Shirty; Oct 12, 2012 at 02:54 AM. Reason: need more info
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:30 AM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Quote:
G'day All,

1. 59 slick
2. Hacker A40-10s
5. 15x6 or 15x7 prop.

Change the Hacker A40-10S to a Motorfly DM4315-714 lightened addition available from SubSonic Planes. I have it on mine (thanks to Steve T. for sending it to the UK ).

Change the ESC to the ICE Lite 100, don't need the extra weight of the 100 standard IMO. Get a Castle USB programming kit. You will need to change the BEC voltage, and I guess you will fixed throttle end-points. Also set throttle response to 10 for it to be super crisp

DuBro arms are fine but get the Hitec HS7245MH instead. A lot more expensive but way better I believe Set the BEC voltage on the ICE to 7.4V if using the 7245's to get the most out of them

Xoar PJN 15x7, Falcon Beechwood 15x7, it's all good!

For batteries, I run the Thunder Power 4S 3850mAh 65C ones. Truly amazing and get flight times on average of about five minutes.

This exact setup is great. Whilst a bit more expensive, it really is amazing!

This same setup can be seen in my video here:
3DHS AJ Slick 59! (3 min 39 sec)

As you see, no blowback, loads of power, and crisp servos
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best of Blackout
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:58 AM
Perpetual 3D Noob
United States, KY, Calvert City
Joined Jun 2010
283 Posts
That is some great flying RCPilot! My skills are nowhere near that yet. I'm still closer to a sport flyer with some light 3d mixed in but I'm getting better. I just recieved my replacement 59 yesterday and hope to have it up soon. Those servos do look good, I'm running HS 5245mg's but if ever need to upgrade I may try them out. Are you still having trouble with them jittering at center?
PlaneCraz3d is offline Find More Posts by PlaneCraz3d
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:10 AM
Aussies fly Down Under!
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2012
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
The ESC is fine, that is exactly what I have in mine....

SteveT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPilot1234 View Post
Change the Hacker A40-10S to a Motorfly DM4315-714 lightened addition available from SubSonic Planes. I have it on mine (thanks to Steve T. for sending it to the UK ).

Change the ESC to the ICE Lite 100, don't need the extra weight of the 100 standard IMO. Get a Castle USB programming kit. You will need to change the BEC voltage, and I guess you will fixed throttle end-points. Also set throttle response to 10 for it to be super crisp

DuBro arms are fine but get the Hitec HS7245MH instead. A lot more expensive but way better I believe Set the BEC voltage on the ICE to 7.4V if using the 7245's to get the most out of them

Xoar PJN 15x7, Falcon Beechwood 15x7, it's all good!

For batteries, I run the Thunder Power 4S 3850mAh 65C ones. Truly amazing and get flight times on average of about five minutes.

This exact setup is great. Whilst a bit more expensive, it really is amazing!

This same setup can be seen in my video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEGCaGmOsJY

As you see, no blowback, loads of power, and crisp servos

Mate, thats awesome, much appreciated. (and not just the flying! ) Once I maiden it n get a feel for it I'll make a few upgrades I think, (no point trashing good gear straight up hey?), but I had emailed rob at adc already about the esc being the Ice Lite 100 version, so that should be good.

Was worried about the 60C as most seem to be around 25C but since I know all about all this I dont know if its an issue or not.

Lucky I have an experienced person helping me - he can look at the bec voltage programming etc, but his plan was to run a seperate bec ((??? - I dont even know what a bec is or does, just know its part of the esc... I think... , reading, reading, reading and trying to learn)), but read on this thread that a seperate bec is apparently overkill and gains a weight penalty - but again I like overkill when it comes to electronics, reduces most crashes to pilot error so i am not adverse to the weight penalty for a seperate bec if it reduces the likelyhood of an electronics failure.

I also looked at that motor from all my research reading this thread, (lol - still only 250 odd pages down so far), and seems a very popular choice especially with the mods, but will probably get this later to do a comparison to try n learn some more. And the hacker is pretty light as far as what people are using on this plane..

Thanks again mate. appreciate the help everyone... as you know its a bit of a minefield for a newbie.

Shirty
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:40 AM
ADC Vinyl
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
...here's my 2cents on the esc discussion

Lightweight option ICE-75 Lite - for those that are weight conscious

option with more headroom, also can be used in 70+/- arf's, ICE-100.

A difference of 1.5 or even 2 oz. just doesn't seem to affect a plane with this much wing area, this lightly loaded, and weighing 5-5.5lbs. If we are talking about 2oz. on a 48"+/- arf then there might be something to consider there. If you want the 100amp option, get the more robust unit in the regular ICE-100.
Fliprob17 is offline Find More Posts by Fliprob17
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:41 AM
Perpetual 3D Noob
United States, KY, Calvert City
Joined Jun 2010
283 Posts
Quote:
Mate, thats awesome, much appreciated. (and not just the flying! ) Once I maiden it n get a feel for it I'll make a few upgrades I think, (no point trashing good gear straight up hey?), but I had emailed rob at adc already about the esc being the Ice Lite 100 version, so that should be good.

Was worried about the 60C as most seem to be around 25C but since I know all about all this I dont know if its an issue or not.

Lucky I have an experienced person helping me - he can look at the bec voltage programming etc, but his plan was to run a seperate bec ((??? - I dont even know what a bec is or does, just know its part of the esc... I think... , reading, reading, reading and trying to learn)), but read on this thread that a seperate bec is apparently overkill and gains a weight penalty - but again I like overkill when it comes to electronics, reduces most crashes to pilot error so i am not adverse to the weight penalty for a seperate bec if it reduces the likelyhood of an electronics failure.

I also looked at that motor from all my research reading this thread, (lol - still only 250 odd pages down so far), and seems a very popular choice especially with the mods, but will probably get this later to do a comparison to try n learn some more. And the hacker is pretty light as far as what people are using on this plane..

Thanks again mate. appreciate the help everyone... as you know its a bit of a minefield for a newbie.

Shirty

Shirty,
A Bec (battery elimination circuit) is used to reduce the voltage from your lipo down to useable voltage for your Rx and servos. There is a Bec built into your esc or you can disable that one and run a seperate external one. I highly recommend the Castle Bec. It only weighs 11 grams so there really isn't a weight penalty. The pros of an external Bec is that if your esc fails for any reason you don't lose power to the Rx. .
I'm running the same setup as you. Motrolfly 4315-714, 4s 4000, Ice Lite 100, only I'm running digitals, hs5245mg's. I'm running my setup on the built in Bec and esc is cool after every flight. However, there really isn't any penalty for running an external Bec though. I'm sure RCPilot can add more information here as I believe he is running one on his setup. He is also running stronger servos than I am too.
PlaneCraz3d is offline Find More Posts by PlaneCraz3d
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:50 AM
ADC Vinyl
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
2cents again so that's 4 total for today

on anything under 70"+/- I stay away from adding excess gear and "spaghetti"

the internal BEC's on the ICE-75 Lite, ICE-100 are good to go. If redundancy is what you are after, by all means drop a separate BEC in the mix, it just isn't a necessity.
Fliprob17 is offline Find More Posts by Fliprob17