HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:30 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPilot1234 View Post
Out of curiosity, has anyone here tried the Hacker A50-6XS in this plane? Weighs same as the Motorfly DM4315 lightened but is supposedly more powerful than the A40 range.

Thanks
I can't find an A50-6XS...and an A60-6XS would be way to heavy.

There is the A50-14XS that I am going to use in the 58" Edge....(I already have one for it)....

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:43 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrestud View Post
My mistake. It is step 2 of the build video at 3dhobbyshop.com

Whether it is a $300 ARF or a $2000 ARF, always go over all the joints. Who knows what elements these things are exposed to on their journey from manufacturing to door step.

CYA and CA those joints
And how do you suggest doing that? Remove the covering to get to all the joints? And yes, I went over all the joints fwd of the firewall with CA, I always do that. The damage is aft, over the LG plate.
Sorry, but a person needs to trust that a product is manufactured correctly, whether it's a $300 or $2000 ARF.
I just expected better, it's my ninth 3DHS plane.
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:14 AM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Mar 2011
711 Posts
I use the little tubes that attach to the thin CA bottle and hit evey joint that I can reach, so pretty much everything forward of the turtle deck, especially the gear plate area, the wing tube area, and the motorbox.
nebwake is offline Find More Posts by nebwake
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:26 AM
Balsa to the Wall
Joined Dec 2001
4,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebwake View Post
I use the little tubes that attach to the thin CA bottle and hit evey joint that I can reach, so pretty much everything forward of the turtle deck, especially the gear plate area, the wing tube area, and the motorbox.
Shouldn't have to, but yeah, you can bet that's what I'll do from now on. I can get some pipettes to deliver the CA where a tip won't reach.
Don't get me wrong, I still love 3DHS planes, I just had to rant when this gorgeous plane got hurt.

Chuck
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:08 AM
ProBro, 3D
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Jul 2008
946 Posts
PM "the KM" or call 3dhs, I bet they will take care of you.
gregory.da is offline Find More Posts by gregory.da
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:34 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
I can't find an A50-6XS...and an A60-6XS would be way to heavy.

There is the A50-14XS that I am going to use in the 58" Edge....(I already have one for it)....

SteveT
Whoops, that's the one I meant, haha! I'm really interested to hear what you make of it
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best of Blackout
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:44 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPilot1234 View Post
Whoops, that's the one I meant, haha! I'm really interested to hear what you make of it
Well...I'm just finishing up my 70" Velox...and since I got my "Byper", I think that will be next....then the 58" Edge or 51" Slick..All three are sitting in the shop untouched....so, it may be a little while....

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:29 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Well...I'm just finishing up my 70" Velox...and since I got my "Byper", I think that will be next....then the 58" Edge or 51" Slick..All three are sitting in the shop untouched....so, it may be a little while....

SteveT
Haha, I've got that same problem too

I've got a 58 Edge to build (DM4315-714 of course thanks to you ), 41 Edge, Twisted Hobbies Crack Yak, and a DLG to setup
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best of Blackout
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:19 PM
aka ECAA3D
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Apr 2012
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Flying mine yesterday and heard a crack when I landed it, not a very hard landing, either. When I looked inside, I saw that most of the glue joints in the motor box had just come apart, leaving only part of the structure to absorb the landing, which broke the wood in several places. When I looked closer, I found a whole lot more dry joints all thru the fuse. Kinda disappointing, I've not seen this in a 3DHS plane before.
I really hated it, I've been flying it for over a year without a scratch and love the plane.

Chuck
The general concensus is to hit all the joints with thin CA. Every manual and build video I have seen recommends it.
m0dest is offline Find More Posts by m0dest
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:28 PM
aka ECAA3D
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Apr 2012
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trill View Post
The Motrolfly motors run cooler and produce more thrust than the Hacker motors for 40" through 78" WS planes. I like to fly back-to-back flights in ninety degree+ temperatures knowing that my motor will stay cool. The Motrolfly motors allow me to do so. My Hacker motors are warm to hot after one flight in ambient temperatures above ninety degrees.
Not contesting Motrolfly motors one bit, but my A50 14xs v2.1 never gets above
luke warm after 6-7 back to back flights. My batteries come out hotter than ESC and motor.

Everybody gets so hung up on which is best but that is going to be relative to your own opinion flying style etc. etc.. I love the Hacker, but I plan on trying out a Motrolfly in my next 60" just because I want to run 6s....not that I'm unhappy with the Hacker...it's solid plain and simple.
m0dest is offline Find More Posts by m0dest
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:29 PM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
714 Posts
Servo's

Has anyone used these servo's from Hobby Partz? If so what type of servo gear does it use? Futaba, Hitec, JR? If I use these servo's then I need to know what dubro servo super strength arms would fit. Thanks!
RC_Feen is offline Find More Posts by RC_Feen
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:36 PM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,673 Posts
I have heard good results on them-dont get the D658's they are terrible-I had some. Returned them.
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:00 AM
Balsa to the Wall
Joined Dec 2001
4,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaa3d View Post
The general concensus is to hit all the joints with thin CA. Every manual and build video I have seen recommends it.
Guess you haven't read the 59" Slick manual then.

Chuck
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:41 AM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjschauer View Post
I have heard good results on them-dont get the D658's they are terrible-I had some. Returned them.
Thanks! I wanted to give the D771 a shot. A $22.50 savings per servo. That's another pack right there! Might just have to pull the trigger on a orange one. Figured since I already have a red 71 Slick gasser..get a orange one. Had a red 59" slick this year but sold it before I ever built it. Guess I should have kept it. Thanks everyone!
RC_Feen is offline Find More Posts by RC_Feen
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:42 AM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Feen View Post
Has anyone used these servo's from Hobby Partz? If so what type of servo gear does it use? Futaba, Hitec, JR? If I use these servo's then I need to know what dubro servo super strength arms would fit. Thanks!
Due to the torque specs on those servos, I have to ask: On a 59" plane? Those things would probably never blowback. You might even be able to put a funky aileron mix in and flap your way back for a landing if you hit LVC.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f