SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 30, 2012, 10:39 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Hi everyone, I know you guys have said the Hacker can be a bit anaemic, but would a Hacker A40-12S on 5S with a Falcon Beechwood 15x7 give a good amount of power?

By the way, I like big props so do you think I should get bigger than a 15x7?

Thanks!
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best of Blackout
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2012, 11:17 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Do you guys think it's worth it to buy two airframes, just in case one breaks and I need spares?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 30, 2012, 11:56 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPilot1234 View Post
Do you guys think it's worth it to buy two airframes, just in case one breaks and I need spares?
No.....buy three...one to fly, one as a back-up and one for spares....

But two wouldn't be a bad idea. Build them both (you don't have to put any gear in the second one). That way if you do thump one, you can put your gear in the second one and keep flying...

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jul 01, 2012, 12:36 AM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
No.....buy three...one to fly, one as a back-up and one for spares....

But two wouldn't be a bad idea. Build them both (you don't have to put any gear in the second one). That way if you do thump one, you can put your gear in the second one and keep flying...

SteveT
You make a good point! Alright then, I think it might just have to be two!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2012, 07:16 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,445 Posts
Quote:
Hi everyone, I know you guys have said the Hacker can be a bit anaemic, but would a Hacker A40-12S on 5S with a Falcon Beechwood 15x7 give a good amount of power?

By the way, I like big props so do you think I should get bigger than a 15x7?

Thanks!
Problem is the motor is way to ineffecient at the power levels we fly this plane on so that motor no matter the cell count is going to get HOT and waste a ton of power and not really put out much more power.

Basicly the motor is to small to get a that high power most are looking for and no matter what you do that motor will not produce it. My sugestion is to buy a bigger motor if you want a high power setup.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Jul 01, 2012, 08:37 AM
United States, NJ, Clayton
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
problem is the motor is way to ineffecient at the power levels we fly this plane on so that motor no matter the cell count is going to get hot and waste a ton of power and not really put out much more power.

Basicly the motor is to small to get a that high power most are looking for and no matter what you do that motor will not produce it. My sugestion is to buy a bigger motor if you want a high power setup.
+1
keithy4129 is offline Find More Posts by keithy4129
Old Jul 01, 2012, 09:52 AM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
Problem is the motor is way to ineffecient at the power levels we fly this plane on so that motor no matter the cell count is going to get HOT and waste a ton of power and not really put out much more power.

Thanks for your reply! Oh that's interesting, I always thought it looked a bit small. I'll email Motorfly and see if they will ship to the UK!

Thanks
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2012, 01:44 PM
Gaint Scale
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Dec 2009
189 Posts
[QUOTE=RCPilot1234;22041800]Thanks for that! very much appreciated!

So you think these will be better than Hitec 7245MH? I've noticed the MKS don't quite have as much torque, you're not experiencing any blow-back are you?

Thanks [/QUOTE

I don't notice any blow back with the MKS servos but I also don't do much high energy stuff. Knife edge spins, blenders, pop tops all do good with the servos. I have not tried the Hitec 7245 so I can't give any input on them.
PowerSlave is offline Find More Posts by PowerSlave
Old Jul 01, 2012, 02:00 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
[QUOTE=PowerSlave;22046724]
Quote:
Thanks for that! very much appreciated!

So you think these will be better than Hitec 7245MH? I've noticed the MKS don't quite have as much torque, you're not experiencing any blow-back are you?

Thanks [/QUOTE

I don't notice any blow back with the MKS servos but I also don't do much high energy stuff. Knife edge spins, blenders, pop tops all do good with the servos. I have not tried the Hitec 7245 so I can't give any input on them.
Ok, thanks for that! I'm having a slightly hard time finding these in the UK, haha!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2012, 05:44 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Right guys, if they can ship Motorfly to the UK, I will buy from SubSonic planes (or recommend another dealer if you think another is better) By the way, it says it's backordered, what does that mean?

So it's the DM4315-714 with lightened X-mount I want, yes?

Just wondering, will this spinner work on the prop-adpater that comes with it? :
http://www.adchobbystore.com/AeroMod...ner_p_638.html

Also, should I get a Xoar prop or Falcon Beechwood one? And will a 16x8 be okay or too big?

Thanks! I'm really excited for this plane!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCPilot1234; Jul 01, 2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old Jul 01, 2012, 07:46 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Damn, unfortunately shipping to the UK can't be done I'll just stick with the Hacker then
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2012, 07:53 PM
United States, NJ, Clayton
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
Quote:
Damn, unfortunately shipping to the UK can't be done I'll just stick with the Hacker then
I think there is a bigger hacker alternative, I forget the model, I almost bought it.
keithy4129 is offline Find More Posts by keithy4129
Old Jul 01, 2012, 08:15 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithy4129 View Post
I think there is a bigger hacker alternative, I forget the model, I almost bought it.
I wouldn't want to add much weight though, haha!

What Scorpion motor would you recommend?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2012, 08:26 PM
United States, MD, Lexington Park
Joined Jun 2002
438 Posts
Got the new rudder installed this afternoon, quick and painless. Also finally got those pull pull cables tightened up with Archie's help. Charged 4 packs and hit the field in 95* heat.

Plane flew better than ever, so much more rudder authority. Just had to breath on the left stick to hold a solid KE.

Then during flight #3 the motor made a strange sound while coming back up on power. Right after that the smoke started rolling out. The Motrolfly 3620-750 is COOKED! Black as night! I knew it had been running hot and I was making sure it was cool to the touch before flying again. Not sure why she went poof, but man did she ever go!

I will get some pics up tomorrow, not going to bother ripping her down tonight. I guess a Motrolfly 4315-714 is in my very near future...
Reaper802 is online now Find More Posts by Reaper802
Old Jul 01, 2012, 08:40 PM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,627 Posts
I guess we both had a bad day RC wise!
Alex Schauer is online now Find More Posts by Alex Schauer