HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2012, 06:44 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Everett View Post
I got my 59 today and started the build , when you built yours , did you use the stock hardware ? seams a little cheasy , "put a nut on a easylink and a drop of ca" ? no locknuts ? elevator pushrod threads wont screw into ball link ? drop of ca on the nuts for the ball link ? off to the hard ware store to see if i can find some locknuts ................
I had some binding on the pushrods because of the amount of deflection, so I put ball links on both ends of each pushrod. Works much more smoothly now.

Chuck
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2012, 09:48 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2010
915 Posts
Anyone have pics of the bottom stringers where they beefed them up, so when you goto grab the plane you don;t snap one?

I've started my build, so I'd like to do it now

I just added alittle Gorilla Glue to the landing bay area, as I do with all my 3DHS planes, it helps allot for landing on grass so you don't pop the gear so easy
fltekdiver is offline Find More Posts by fltekdiver
Old Feb 24, 2012, 09:56 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltekdiver View Post
Anyone have pics of the bottom stringers where they beefed them up, so when you goto grab the plane you don;t snap one?

I've started my build, so I'd like to do it now

I just added alittle Gorilla Glue to the landing bay area, as I do with all my 3DHS planes, it helps allot for landing on grass so you don't pop the gear so easy
No pics....but I had some 1/8"X3/8" balsa that I cut to length to fit between the formers then glued them onto the stringers on edge....

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:02 PM
Joined Jan 2010
915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTtoooo View Post
No pics....but I had some 1/8"X3/8" balsa that I cut to length to fit between the formers then glued them onto the stringers on edge....

SteveT
Ok simple enough, I'll do the same, as I did break mine on my 51" Slick the same way, grabing it from the bottom to hard
Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:00 AM
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2002
7,807 Posts
When i set mine up , i had a double ball link pushrod laying around , i had to turn 2 turns for it to fit for the elevator , all others are stock .
All ready to go , maiden Sun .......
Dennis Everett is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Everett
Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:04 AM
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2002
7,807 Posts
Ive got some .007 x 1/4 cf im thinking about ca-ing to the bottom of the stringers , ill pin prick the covering so it will glue to the balsa and not just the covering , cant hurt , and wont weight very much .....
Dennis Everett is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Everett
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:06 PM
Bob418
United States, WI, West Bend
Joined Feb 2011
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportFlyer2 View Post
Sorry I didn't reply sooner...I could only surf from my phone all day yesterday...did the carbon rods break going thru the carbon landing gear reinforcement plate...I can't tell in the pics but it looks like it just rolled the gear back and maybe sheared the bolts...If thats the case and the rods didn't break I'd just try to roll everything back into place and brace everything that broke inside the plane (popsicle sticks do work wonders for this)...that's how I did mine the first time...

From the pics it doesn't look like the front of the motor box is hurt at all...
Yea the CF broke, both of them! the 3rd of the first 3 bulkheads, is totally trashed!! and the 2nd one has a piece missing, I did pick up a motor box replacement kit, so I will replace what is needed and glue it up!

I will have to get replacement CF rods and fix all the covering ! SO much fun but she will fly agian,!
bob418 is offline Find More Posts by bob418
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:09 PM
Joined Jan 2010
915 Posts
Please post pics, I'd love to see the repairs afterwards

I'm ok with repairs such as this, but I never can get the monocat to match again

What are you going to use for covering?
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:20 PM
Bob418
Joined Feb 2011
161 Posts
Also I picked up a 2nd bird to have a ready spare to fly!

But I read lots of issues with the wing tube being too tight! but I checked out my second CF wing tube and it fit very nice and smooth! There is a .020 difference in the wing tubes! So I will use the new one and use the other as a spare!!

I will need to buy White, Silver and Blue covering! that sucks, because you have to buy a big roll for a few small pieces! Oh well!!
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:23 PM
Bob418
Joined Feb 2011
161 Posts
I did take lots of pictures of the before and will take another set of the rip out and final ones before covering with Ultracote! I will have to find the right colors for the bird
Old Feb 25, 2012, 11:01 PM
Bob418
Joined Feb 2011
161 Posts
Ben, is there a link or can you post the colors of Ultracote covering for the Red 59" slick and I have to assume the folks with orange ones would like their colors aas well

thanks!!
Old Feb 26, 2012, 03:01 AM
United States, TX, Palacios
Joined Feb 2009
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob418 View Post
Also I picked up a 2nd bird to have a ready spare to fly!

But I read lots of issues with the wing tube being too tight! but I checked out my second CF wing tube and it fit very nice and smooth! There is a .020 difference in the wing tubes! So I will use the new one and use the other as a spare!!

I will need to buy White, Silver and Blue covering! that sucks, because you have to buy a big roll for a few small pieces! Oh well!!

I had some Top Flight Aluminum trim that worked out great for the silver...Part # TOPQ4105

also the carbon rods are 5mm or .196"...

Zed
SportFlyer2 is offline Find More Posts by SportFlyer2
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:17 AM
Bob418
Joined Feb 2011
161 Posts
Thanks FS2

I took the whole Motor box out and now cleaning up everything so I get a good fit

But the Motor Box kit is VERY nice, the only thing missing is the CG but my LHS is good for that! I will post more pictures as I get to the next step
Old Feb 26, 2012, 02:49 PM
Joined Jan 2010
915 Posts
I'm going to mount the motor tonight

Does the 4315-714 Motor need spacers?
Old Feb 26, 2012, 04:32 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jul 2007
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob418 View Post
Ben, is there a link or can you post the colors of Ultracote covering for the Red 59" slick and I have to assume the folks with orange ones would like their colors aas well

thanks!!
The colors are on the first page of the build Manuel. You can get it on there web site as well.
graniteguy is offline Find More Posts by graniteguy