Old May 25, 2011, 06:55 PM
Crashing Gooder and Gooder!
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Feb 2009
2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucor basher View Post

no landing gear warranty for you!

Hang on, let me make up some new Anchor gear....

They might make it a little nose heavy, but guarenteed to handle any landing you throw at it.. not to say anything else would survive..

All other warranties are null and void
YamaDan is offline Find More Posts by YamaDan
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2011, 06:59 PM
Joined Sep 2006
188 Posts
Forgot to also mention that with the CG I have it now, I don't have to keep the power on during landings. There is only a 1/2" to 3/4" of CG movement where the plane likes it, all other positions either tail heavy or nose heavy from that point start sucking. Checked my settings, am using 90% expo on the rudder already. Was not used how quickly the plane yaws on almost full rudder command.

I love doing sloooow rolls on this plane. Very good tracking. This plane flies more like a foamy except that one can fly in stronger winds. I can't think of any negatives for this plane now that I flown it more and getting used to it. Going to check out the ice logger to see what my amp draw was for the 14x6 prop.
FlyStraight is offline Find More Posts by FlyStraight
Old May 25, 2011, 06:59 PM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2007
6,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaDan View Post
Hang on, let me make up some new Anchor gear....

They might make it a little nose heavy, but guarenteed to handle any landing you throw at it.. not to say anything else would survive..

All other warranties are null and void

How much tail weight will be needed to get the correct CG?
GoldCraft is online now Find More Posts by GoldCraft
Old May 25, 2011, 07:06 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCraft View Post
Ive done those before.....not intentionally...didnt end well....to be avoided
Had three Pancakes on the 42 Slick, not intentional.... LG, Cowl, Stringers. Thus I don't like them.

Now Elevator Landings seem more reasonable, when the pack goes South prematurely, still can carry enough power to land safe. Got experience there too.

I found the Snap to Landing the hardest to pull off (unintentional) and only was able to do it once or twice with the Buck Huck. Probably was too nose heavy at the time. No vid. It really didn't mind too much though.
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old May 25, 2011, 07:14 PM
Joined Sep 2006
188 Posts
Oh yeah, that's why I said that people need to watch your sink rate and go partial throttle at the bottom to get some forward airspeed and lift before you touch down. Less throttle if plane is light more if it's heavier.

Yes, you can drive the gear right thru the fuse if you're not careful. The stick plane has enough beef that it just bounces. This plane might have enough beef with the carbon on the L.G. I will keep trying to do them but in calmer weather as the turbulence above the ground rode the plane like a bronco and I was stalling out. I'm amazed that nobody tried this maneuver. It's a very cool maneuver. I loved doing autos with my helis so this is an extension of an auto but on a plane.

Ok, another cool maneuver you can do. Have you guys seen Curtis Youngblood's corkscrew? He flies his heli down the runway then gives down elevator to drive the heli sideways into a corkscrew. Watching that back in the early 90's gave me an idea to do the same but with my plane. So you fly at 45deg to the runway towards yourself, at a fairly fast clip, then you pull up, you need to roll the plane and to control the angle of the corkscrew you need to use the rudder thru the whole maneuver. You can use ailerons only but it's tricky to not slow the plane or not tighten or loosen the corkscrew. I haven't done it in a while so maybe need to use both rudder and ailerons. The plane basically does side loops connected together, same height same diameter same speed, etc. Then you do it from right to left This move is more of a 4D move. Been thinking of doing some 4D moves ie. Imagine a square loop but also going in/out the side of the box. Maybe in a 45deg. In anotherwords, one left to right square loop + same one but rotated 90deg to the first one and connecting them with 45deg lines in the z-axis.

Does anyone else have any interesting moves they've done either by accident or on purpose? How about this one: with a trike plane, land on the mains, keep the nose up until no more speed. Or keep driving it on the mains. I do that on the slick except I rasie the tail up and keep her on the ground forcibly then throttle up and pull into a vertical climb. That move looks much more impressive with my 50cc plane, with full throttle rolling down the runway and at the end pull up into vertical rolls until can't see the plane. Point the nose down, goto idle and do three rolls to the left, three to the right and keep altering them either ending with a blender or log G pull out when the plane whissles as the prop is slowing down. When I first started doing them my hear rate increased a lot, not anymore now. It's one of the moves that scares you.

How about this one I saw on youtube and which I might replicate when I fly my gas plane. Go up, then shut the engine off, turn ignition on and let it rocket downstairs then pull out and hopefully the engine will restart during down leg.

Any more cool/interesting moves especially done on the slick plane or equivalent?
Last edited by FlyStraight; May 25, 2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old May 25, 2011, 07:17 PM
Crashing Gooder and Gooder!
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Feb 2009
2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCraft View Post
How much tail weight will be needed to get the correct CG?
Well, this last batch came in at 16lbs, so, since they're a little infront of the CG, you should be good adding 4 lbs about a foot back behind the spar.. that way you're not adding excess weight and it'll stay light
YamaDan is offline Find More Posts by YamaDan
Old May 25, 2011, 07:24 PM
Hope is not a Strategy
Australia, VIC, Caroline Springs
Joined Apr 2011
1,462 Posts
Quote:

no landing gear warranty for you!

Come back....1 YEAR....
Lojik is offline Find More Posts by Lojik
Last edited by Lojik; May 25, 2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old May 25, 2011, 07:31 PM
Joined Sep 2006
188 Posts
I was also wondering how come 3dhs doesn't include a white spinner with the slick? Most arfs come with one and those I have seen on slicks have adapted non-extreme flight/3dhs/great plane electric spinners and they look pretty bad. Too small or too large, etc.

I got the great planes white electric spinner and had to drill out the shaft hole for 8mm and also enlarge the prop holes. Both had cutouts already scribed in so it made it easier. Was a dummy and didn't get one from 3dhs when I ordered and forgot about it until it was too late.
Old May 25, 2011, 07:36 PM
Hope is not a Strategy
Australia, VIC, Caroline Springs
Joined Apr 2011
1,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyStraight View Post
I was also wondering how come 3dhs doesn't include a white spinner with the slick? Most arfs come with one and those I have seen have adapted non-extreme flight/3dhs/great plane electric spinners and they look pretty bad. Too small or too large, etc.

I got the great planes white electric spinner and had to drill out the shaft hole for 8mm and also enlarge the prop holes. Both had cutouts already scribed in so it made it easier. Was a dummy and didn't get one from 3dhs when I ordered and forgot about it until it was too late.
They probably don't have one included in the smaller kits as there are so many choices out there for people, allu for more weight, plastic for light weight, allu back with plastic front, carbon, A whole variety of colour.

Also prop sizes seem to vary more in the smaller models than the larger ones so making a spinner for a kit that could essentially be not usable might not be worth the time.
Lojik is offline Find More Posts by Lojik
Old May 25, 2011, 07:38 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Quote:
How about this one I saw on youtube and which I might replicate when I fly my gas plane. Go up, then shut the engine off, turn ignition on and let it rocket downstairs then pull out and hopefully the engine will restart during down leg.
Yes, you should try that.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old May 25, 2011, 07:41 PM
Suffolk, VA
Joined Nov 2010
2,696 Posts
Quote:
yes, you should try that.
lol:d
3DBobz is offline Find More Posts by 3DBobz
Old May 25, 2011, 08:07 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,189 Posts
I grok the pancake landing now... it's just riding an elevator all the way to the ground. and ya, will want the throttle blip at the bottom to make it nice on the landing gear.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old May 25, 2011, 08:10 PM
CHOO CHOO
Northern Indiana
Joined Jan 2009
4,126 Posts
I gotta say, this thread has been very enjoyable the last few days.
6L6Amp is offline Find More Posts by 6L6Amp
Old May 25, 2011, 08:25 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,464 Posts
Sounds like an elevator landing. I did one the other day in the wind. The plane came down with little to no power and landed softly on all 3 wheels. Got a kick out of that. YOU must have a stiff breeze to do that though.

YamaDan the 59 is so stable in a hover I hover caught it on the maiden
losifanatic is online now Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old May 25, 2011, 08:26 PM
Joined Sep 2006
188 Posts
Ben, thank you for past help. It was very helpful.