SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 25, 2011, 10:15 AM
3D Legion: "for we are many"
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Sep 2003
2,884 Posts
another question… the motor mount bolts are too big for the A40 'x' mount holes. Do I drill the mount or get smaller bolts? I don't like drilling the mount becuase it might weaken it but maybe that is paranoid?
aerosheldon is offline Find More Posts by aerosheldon
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2011, 10:40 AM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosheldon View Post
another question… the motor mount bolts are too big for the A40 'x' mount holes. Do I drill the mount or get smaller bolts? I don't like drilling the mount becuase it might weaken it but maybe that is paranoid?
id get smaller bolts.
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old May 25, 2011, 10:56 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,188 Posts
Quote:
I can just squeeze the sides of them while they are on, right?

Thanks AJ!
ya, squeezing the plastic into the brass ball a little... when you release you'll feel it loosen up. try not to use too much pressure as it will fatigue the plastic.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old May 25, 2011, 10:56 AM
Crashing Gooder and Gooder!
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Feb 2009
2,313 Posts
Quote:
Drill em, it's not that great a difference, I did two ARF's ago, touch wood, have not had any issues, actually three if you count me letting RCDrum borrow the motor for a bit..

Two crashes, three different planes, now on the fourth.. I'm gonna say you should be fine
YamaDan is offline Find More Posts by YamaDan
Old May 25, 2011, 11:09 AM
myp
Joined Oct 2007
1,103 Posts
Quote:
I wonder why 3DHS provided mounting bolts that are bigger than the holes in the X-mount of a recommended motor. Would the supplied bolts fit the X-mount of the Motrofly 3620?
myp is offline Find More Posts by myp
Old May 25, 2011, 11:15 AM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Because drill bits work. If we supply 3mm motor mounting bolts for a plane this size, someone posts "I upgraded my motor mounting hardware because 3DHS did it wrong and put wimpy bolts in the kit". If we put in larger bolts people want to know why we did that. With the larger bolts, you can drill your x mount out, takes a few minutes.

On the smaller aircraft, we can recommend just one size motor (Omega 130g, for example) and all of the competing motors use the same X mount dimensions). On 55" and larger, there are a variety of X-mounts and so we have to provide universal stuff and an undrilled firewall.

If we drill the firewall and some guy has a motor with a different bolt pattern, you don't know the nasty emails I get.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old May 25, 2011, 11:19 AM
3D Legion: "for we are many"
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Sep 2003
2,884 Posts
Thanks Ben. I wasn't compalining, just asking which route would be best for me now. X-mount will get the bit.
aerosheldon is offline Find More Posts by aerosheldon
Old May 25, 2011, 11:20 AM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Np, Sheldon, I was responding to the "why" above.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old May 25, 2011, 11:30 AM
Crashing Gooder and Gooder!
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Feb 2009
2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucor basher View Post
Because drill bits work.
Can I make that a tee shirt? Maybe it's the lack of coffee, or the welders fumes, but that right there is funny..I don't care who ya are
YamaDan is offline Find More Posts by YamaDan
Old May 25, 2011, 11:59 AM
Joined Sep 2006
188 Posts
Going out flying again and strapping some weight to the tail to see if I can do some tailslides. Should be fun. I want to get to the point where I can harrier land in high alpha without power. I've done this on a profile hots long time ago and it was fun. I think this plane might do it as well. At 120mm CG, it almost does it providing I do it into the wind. The nose is dropping and I have to bring it up with slight throttle, then cut it again. Tried more elevator throw but it just rocks the wings more as plane's nose goes to the sky. With more weight in the tail, I can also cut out wing rocking. Right now, it wing rocks pretty badly in high alpha, yet another indication the CG is too forward. My 50cc would wing rock like crazy with CG at the tube but when I moved it back an inch it took the wing rock right out and the plane harrier lands in slight wind. Flown it in 25mph winds and it's a ball, never had so much with with a 50cc before. It also locks into a hover much easier, I mean I could do hovers at forward CG but I had to concentrate more on keeping it balanced as it wanted to roll or nose over.
FlyStraight is offline Find More Posts by FlyStraight
Old May 25, 2011, 12:01 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,660 Posts
mine just got dropped at home

everything except batts are in the mail.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old May 25, 2011, 12:05 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyStraight View Post
Going out flying again and strapping some weight to the tail to see if I can do some tailslides. Should be fun. I want to get to the point where I can harrier land in high alpha without power. I've done this on a profile hots long time ago and it was fun. I think this plane might do it as well. At 120mm CG, it almost does it providing I do it into the wind. The nose is dropping and I have to bring it up with slight throttle, then cut it again. Tried more elevator throw but it just rocks the wings more as plane's nose goes to the sky. With more weight in the tail, I can also cut out wing rocking. Right now, it wing rocks pretty badly in high alpha, yet another indication the CG is too forward. My 50cc would wing rock like crazy with CG at the tube but when I moved it back an inch it took the wing rock right out and the plane harrier lands in slight wind. Flown it in 25mph winds and it's a ball, never had so much with with a 50cc before. It also locks into a hover much easier, I mean I could do hovers at forward CG but I had to concentrate more on keeping it balanced as it wanted to roll or nose over.
This airplane doesn't have any wing rock. would possibly look to your rudder input/expo to see if that reduces it.

...how do you harrier land without power?
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old May 25, 2011, 12:11 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
This airplane doesn't have any wing rock. would possibly look to your rudder input/expo to see if that reduces it.

What are you Team pilots suggesting for expo on Slicks? Does it change from 59" to 89"?

Just wondering. I can't ever seem to know where I feel comfortable with expo.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old May 25, 2011, 12:13 PM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post

Oh Oh Oh, Let me answer. Add a bunch of lead to the tail.
jsmith285 is offline Find More Posts by jsmith285
Old May 25, 2011, 12:16 PM
Advocating for RC Aviation
USA, NJ, Phillipsburg
Joined Jul 2010
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith285 View Post
Oh Oh Oh, Let me answer. Add a bunch of lead to the tail.
Nah, it's because drill bits work, like it says on the tee shirt! Too funny, made my afternoon.
danamania is offline Find More Posts by danamania