HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 25, 2011, 12:27 AM
Hope is not a Strategy
Australia, VIC, Caroline Springs
Joined Apr 2011
1,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jesky View Post
The main reason I like the forward CG on planes is with a forward CG I'm also able to open the plane up and draw some straight lines and push through those high G maneuvers and keep flying.
One thing people will not be able to do with a rearward is carry much momentum through a maneuver. I know many will like to fly low and slow but this will hamper your high speed stuff. I really found this out on the 104"

Andrew
Thank you for the info Andrew, with the CG at your recommended area what sort of forward elevator is required for level flight inverted?

not getting my plane for at least 3 weeks and trying to setup a model on phoenix to practice on
Lojik is offline Find More Posts by Lojik
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2011, 01:05 AM
Team 3DHS
Los Alamos CA .
Joined Jan 2009
306 Posts
just got mine done... will maiden in the morning.
4 pounds 15 oz
93 amps
1300 watts
motrolfly 3625
extreme flight 80 amp esc
sky lipo 4000 4s 40c
hs 225 mgs
xoar 15x6
Thanks Ben!
XXLBMXER is offline Find More Posts by XXLBMXER
Old May 25, 2011, 01:23 AM
Joined Sep 2006
188 Posts
I think I'll end up with a 130mm CG for my flying. I'll tame everything down with reduced throws. I do not recommend that CG for sunday flyers. You need to know what you're doing at the sticks. The plane can get squirelly at that CG. You need to stay ahead of it an watch for minute changes in its flight to immediately compensate. For most people, CG in front or on the wing tube. For experts, CG behind wing tube. I fly my 50cc at the rearward edge of CG all the time but the airplane is most fun there. Same with the slick. For imac moves, CG on the wingtube or slightly ahead is the way to go. For tailslides and hovers CG behind the wing tube. Anytime the plane wants to roll out of a hover the CG is too forward, no amount of skill will fix that. When it's done right, the plane will lock into a stable hover.
FlyStraight is offline Find More Posts by FlyStraight
Old May 25, 2011, 02:11 AM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
3,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXLBMXER View Post
just got mine done... will maiden in the morning.
4 pounds 15 oz
93 amps
1300 watts
motrolfly 3625
extreme flight 80 amp esc
sky lipo 4000 4s 40c
hs 225 mgs
xoar 15x6
Thanks Ben!
Just picked mine up from NeverEnough! Very nice build.

Maiden in the morning.

Wish us luck...

Yehaaaaaaa!

-Buzzed
Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Old May 25, 2011, 06:31 AM
Advocating for RC Aviation
USA, NJ, Phillipsburg
Joined Jul 2010
1,390 Posts
Assembly Manual- 59 AJ Slick (for quick reference)

"Balancing Your Slick has a very wide CG range. The forward edge of the range is 85mm back from
the leading edge of the wing where the wing meets the fuselage. This is approximately inch in front of
the carbon wing spar tube. This CG location is recommended for precision flight and sport flying.
A typical range for 3D flying is 100-112mm back from the leading edge of the wing where the wing meets
the fuselage. This equates to the location of the carbon wing spar tube, form the front edge of the tube to
the rear. At the rear location, approximately the rear edge of the wing tube, the aircraft will have a lot of
pitch authority for 3D flight, but precision flight may suffer and the aircraft will require more attention
during landing."
danamania is offline Find More Posts by danamania
Old May 25, 2011, 06:34 AM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyStraight View Post
I think I'll end up with a 130mm CG for my flying. I'll tame everything down with reduced throws. I do not recommend that CG for sunday flyers. You need to know what you're doing at the sticks. The plane can get squirelly at that CG. You need to stay ahead of it an watch for minute changes in its flight to immediately compensate. For most people, CG in front or on the wing tube. For experts, CG behind wing tube. I fly my 50cc at the rearward edge of CG all the time but the airplane is most fun there. Same with the slick. For imac moves, CG on the wingtube or slightly ahead is the way to go. For tailslides and hovers CG behind the wing tube. Anytime the plane wants to roll out of a hover the CG is too forward, no amount of skill will fix that. When it's done right, the plane will lock into a stable hover.
.....um.
rcbirk21 is online now Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old May 25, 2011, 06:50 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,437 Posts
See looky there I'm within recommended CG locations
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old May 25, 2011, 07:00 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,437 Posts
The only plane I have notice hover differences with the CG is my 42 slick when I was learing how to hover. If I was off even a few MM I noticed it. My nose would fall out easier if I was forward of my CG location. It would be twitchy if I was rear of my CG location. I found that plane to hover the best at 92mm back(weirdlt enough is around neutral).
Now that I am much more proficient at hovering I don't notice it at all anymore b/c I guess my brian compensates before I have a chance to even think about it.

I can just as easy hover the 59 slick at 85mm as I can at 130MM. I did 16 TR rotations without issues on my maiden flight with the CG at 95mm and hover cought it too.
Old May 25, 2011, 07:52 AM
ADC Vinyl
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayars View Post
Can't help but wonder how much the fan is using battery wise. I think I'd rather have 100% of my power going to the prop and not to fan cooling the motor. While I know this could be the best thing since sliced bread it somehow just feels wrong to me. But what do I know.
of course

....well, my timer is the same.....and the landing/resting voltage is the same....down to the tenth of a volt across all cells...I'd throw a dart at not very much
Fliprob17 is offline Find More Posts by Fliprob17
Old May 25, 2011, 08:02 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,437 Posts
Wahoo. I was able to puT in 2 flights on the 59 and 2 on the 71 this morning. Its a bit windy but man what fun! Well I guess Im off to work
Old May 25, 2011, 08:59 AM
3D Legion: "for we are many"
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Sep 2003
2,870 Posts
General question but it came up on the build--I just put the pull/pull together and the ball links are tight! I inserted a rod in them prior to assembly to rotate them around, but once on the plane they don't want to spin… the pull/pull just knocks them into the side of the fuse before they will spin. Any suggestions?
aerosheldon is online now Find More Posts by aerosheldon
Old May 25, 2011, 09:18 AM
Monroe, Michigan
Joined Oct 2002
1,650 Posts
Your best bet is to lightly squeeze them with a pair of pliers. This is what I do when they are a bit to tight.

Andrew
Andrew Jesky is offline Find More Posts by Andrew Jesky
Old May 25, 2011, 09:24 AM
Joined Sep 2003
2,870 Posts
I can just squeeze the sides of them while they are on, right?

Thanks AJ!
Old May 25, 2011, 10:02 AM
United States, FL, Marianna
Joined Apr 2011
860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosheldon View Post
I just put the pull/pull together and the ball links are tight!

I'm confused, what ball links on the pull/pull? I used ball links on ailerons and elevator.
dentalpain is offline Find More Posts by dentalpain
Old May 25, 2011, 10:14 AM
Joined Sep 2003
2,870 Posts
I used the ball links to attach to the rudder horn with the little thing the wire loops into.