HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 24, 2011, 07:56 PM
Registered User
cayars's Avatar
Bridgeton, NJ
Joined Mar 2009
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliprob17 View Post
not sure how many have had a chance to push the new V2 Hacker in a "hot climate" but with the built-in fan continuously blowing air over the windings they are definitely running cooler than the original's did.....at least that's what I'm seeing.
Can't help but wonder how much the fan is using battery wise. I think I'd rather have 100% of my power going to the prop and not to fan cooling the motor. While I know this could be the best thing since sliced bread it somehow just feels wrong to me. But what do I know.
cayars is offline Find More Posts by cayars
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2011, 07:58 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
losifanatic's Avatar
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,448 Posts
Was able to put in 3 flights before dark today. It was a wonderfull low wind 3 flights too. This is such a great flying plane and a plane that is easy for the grab and go quick flights.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011, 07:59 PM
Registered User
stickybeatz's Avatar
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2010
1,704 Posts
I was running the V2 A40-10S in 95 degree weather the other day and it comes down MUCH hotter than the Motrolfly 3620-750. I didn't have a temp gun with me but when I was flying the 3620 in 100 degree weather, it was coming down at 120 after 5 minutes of hard flying.
stickybeatz is offline Find More Posts by stickybeatz
Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011, 08:31 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2006
188 Posts
Just got back from flying. Put four flights in, love the gens ace batts, warm to the touch. Motor too.

Some numbers:

4315 motor
Xoar 15x7 wood e-prop
100 amp ice regular esc
4s 4000mah gens ace

according to ice esc logger:
max amps = 106
avg amps = 19
max watts = 1540
max esc temps = 140F
max rpm = 11,400 (11,800 by specs)
avg rpm = 4500

I do think that the ice logger overestimates the amp draw by 10%. Will have to put my watts up meter in there next time. Interestingly, the prop rpms are very efficient on that 15x7 prop. Right in line with kv x volts or 11,800rpms. I will try 14x6 xoar wood e-prop next time.

So let's talk about CG. My rudder servo is in the tail and batts butted against wing tube. I still feel like I'm nose heavy and need maybe .5 to 1 oz of tail weight. I do recommend people go with lighter motor like 3620-750. So how does that extra weight affects the plane? Not much. The knife edges are slow as slow as I want them for me. Landings are slow, no harrier landings but getting very close. Need more aft CG for those. It does 20 foot diameter flat turns and when wind is blowing it can turn on its yaw pivot which is cool. I had a gusty winds today, so it's not as precise in those gusts as my 50cc but good enough. Rudder has lots of authority, you can do 10 foot knife edge loops all day. But if you are doing very slow flying at a walking pace then you need to go with lighter setup. As it is, my plane flies slower than any plane I owned and that's slow for me. I did knife edge circles at about jogging pace.

It bleeds off speed very quickly on a landing. This is good as you can bring her in hot in a dead stick situation and she will bleed that speed quickly and then land easily. Takeoffs are amazing. I can drive her on the ground with tail wheel up in the air and I can slow her down and speed her up and everything in between and she tracks straight. Takeoffs are absolutely no problem and will be done in a headwind in five feet on quarter throttle. So how much throttle do I need for flying. For hovering about 1/4 throttle, same for takeoffs on a fresh pack. It has unlimited vertical and accelerates vertically. It is not ballistic like my 5lb stick plane on 6s but that's not needed. It's slightly less ballistic but fast enough. I get about 8 minutes of mixed flying. I basically got this plane for knife edges and tailslides. Can't do tailslides with the CG as I have it set yet but knife edges I'm satisfied with. I do notice that on landings coming into the wind I have to keep little bit of throttle in otherwise she slows and stalls. Don't think that will be a problem in calm weather.

I'm going to experiment with 14x6 prop and 6s 2500mah packs. They're about the same size and weight as 4s 4000mah packs. I guess I will have to prop down for 6s to maybe 13x6 or 12x6. That would probably turn the plane into a pattern plane.
FlyStraight is offline Find More Posts by FlyStraight
Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011, 08:58 PM
Registered User
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2009
13 Posts
Gens ace on sale

For those of you still looking for 4 cell packs these guys have the Gens ace 4s 4000 for 39.60. They do charge a little for shipping so if you are buying only one or two it might not be worth it. If you are buying several however I have not been able to find a better price.

http://www.xheli.com/98p-25c-4000-4s1p.html
Aeolos is offline Find More Posts by Aeolos
Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011, 09:38 PM
Registered User
wantoofly's Avatar
United States, TX, Navasota
Joined Apr 2009
345 Posts
6s

Quote:
Originally Posted by danamania View Post
That's good news because it's an A40-14S V2 that's going into my "small 6S" Orange crush 59" very soon. Thank for sharing as I am trying a non-standard set-up and such information is helpful. Good flying! Dana
Now were talking! what size packs you plan to use?
wantoofly is offline Find More Posts by wantoofly
Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011, 09:51 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
losifanatic's Avatar
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyStraight View Post
Just got back from flying. Put four flights in, love the gens ace batts, warm to the touch. Motor too.

Some numbers:

4315 motor
Xoar 15x7 wood e-prop
100 amp ice regular esc
4s 4000mah gens ace

according to ice esc logger:
max amps = 106
avg amps = 19
max watts = 1540
max esc temps = 140F
max rpm = 11,400 (11,800 by specs)
avg rpm = 4500

I do think that the ice logger overestimates the amp draw by 10%. Will have to put my watts up meter in there next time. Interestingly, the prop rpms are very efficient on that 15x7 prop. Right in line with kv x volts or 11,800rpms. I will try 14x6 xoar wood e-prop next time.

So let's talk about CG. My rudder servo is in the tail and batts butted against wing tube. I still feel like I'm nose heavy and need maybe .5 to 1 oz of tail weight. I do recommend people go with lighter motor like 3620-750. So how does that extra weight affects the plane? Not much. The knife edges are slow as slow as I want them for me. Landings are slow, no harrier landings but getting very close. Need more aft CG for those. It does 20 foot diameter flat turns and when wind is blowing it can turn on its yaw pivot which is cool. I had a gusty winds today, so it's not as precise in those gusts as my 50cc but good enough. Rudder has lots of authority, you can do 10 foot knife edge loops all day. But if you are doing very slow flying at a walking pace then you need to go with lighter setup. As it is, my plane flies slower than any plane I owned and that's slow for me. I did knife edge circles at about jogging pace.

It bleeds off speed very quickly on a landing. This is good as you can bring her in hot in a dead stick situation and she will bleed that speed quickly and then land easily. Takeoffs are amazing. I can drive her on the ground with tail wheel up in the air and I can slow her down and speed her up and everything in between and she tracks straight. Takeoffs are absolutely no problem and will be done in a headwind in five feet on quarter throttle. So how much throttle do I need for flying. For hovering about 1/4 throttle, same for takeoffs on a fresh pack. It has unlimited vertical and accelerates vertically. It is not ballistic like my 5lb stick plane on 6s but that's not needed. It's slightly less ballistic but fast enough. I get about 8 minutes of mixed flying. I basically got this plane for knife edges and tailslides. Can't do tailslides with the CG as I have it set yet but knife edges I'm satisfied with. I do notice that on landings coming into the wind I have to keep little bit of throttle in otherwise she slows and stalls. Don't think that will be a problem in calm weather.

I'm going to experiment with 14x6 prop and 6s 2500mah packs. They're about the same size and weight as 4s 4000mah packs. I guess I will have to prop down for 6s to maybe 13x6 or 12x6. That would probably turn the plane into a pattern plane.
I would say your logger was dead on. I got the same on my watts up meter useing the same motor, esc, prop size, and batteries
Though my motor is only ambient temp after one flight.
I can fly 6 flights back to back and my motor is only bearly warm when done(I love that)
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011, 10:05 PM
Advocating for RC Aviation
USA, NJ, Phillipsburg
Joined Jul 2010
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantoofly View Post
Now were talking! what size packs you plan to use?
Someone asked so here goes...

My original plan from some months back was to go with 2650 mAh for a total of 15,900 (almost the same as as 4S 4000 mAh). Then I noticed that AJ flys 5S 3900 for a total of 20,000 so I thought maybe 6S 3300. Then Ben checked in with the largest pack I noticed, 5S 5000 for a total of 25,000. Now that caught my eye as I have 6S 4000s for my Osiris. Soooo...

Will most likely start with 2650s as I have some of those on hand which will be shared with another project. Then based on how that works for me, I may go up in capacity/weight to get the final wing loading and flight times that I like to have: With each airframe size, I like to have one lightly loaded for calm days and/or 3D; and one more heavily loaded for windy days and/or precision. Not sure where to position the 59" except to say it will fit nicely between my Osiris and 70/71" aerobats in the station wagon! LOL Dana
danamania is offline Find More Posts by danamania
Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011, 10:11 PM
blucor basher's Avatar
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Some people are still posting some pretty weird stuff in this thread. AJ's preferred CG for all flight including 3D is about 85mm. The 59" harriers very, very nicely at that CG. I fly at about 100mm. Harriers very, very nicely for me. If someone cannot harrier land the Slick, it's not constructive to confuse skill with setup, that messes everyone's project up.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011, 10:21 PM
Registered User
Andrew Jesky's Avatar
United States, UT, Tooele
Joined Oct 2002
1,661 Posts
The main reason I like the forward CG on planes is with a forward CG I'm also able to open the plane up and draw some straight lines and push through those high G maneuvers and keep flying.
One thing people will not be able to do with a rearward is carry much momentum through a maneuver. I know many will like to fly low and slow but this will hamper your high speed stuff. I really found this out on the 104"

Andrew
Andrew Jesky is online now Find More Posts by Andrew Jesky
Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011, 10:29 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Irg's Avatar
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,653 Posts
good info, thanks Andrew.

I think a lot of people don't realize just how much practicing precision, especially rolling maneuvers, will help their 3d abilities.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011, 10:42 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Irg's Avatar
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,653 Posts
what prop for the a4010s and 4s?

xoar 15x8?
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011, 10:45 PM
You down with EPP?
johnnyrocco123's Avatar
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,788 Posts
Question

When gluing the "ball arm" screw and nut to the rudder horns with medium CA, will it be an easy job of replacing the pull-pull cables later if needed?

I would like to use a lock nut but it doesn't look possible.

Thanks in advance.
johnnyrocco123 is online now Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 12:24 AM
Hope is not a Strategy
Lojik's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Caroline Springs
Joined Apr 2011
1,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
what prop for the a4010s and 4s?

xoar 15x8?
ADC recommended me a 15x6 for that motor on 4 cells, as its the one I'm getting also I ended up getting Vox 15x6 Wooden props.
Lojik is offline Find More Posts by Lojik
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 12:25 AM
Hope is not a Strategy
Lojik's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Caroline Springs
Joined Apr 2011
1,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
When gluing the "ball arm" screw and nut to the rudder horns with medium CA, will it be an easy job of replacing the pull-pull cables later if needed?

I would like to use a lock nut but it doesn't look possible.

Thanks in advance.
the CA with kicker is really only a lock nut in itself so debonder should take care of that easy if you need to take it off. just make sure you clean the nut well when you go to reuse it and re-ca.
Lojik is offline Find More Posts by Lojik
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted 3DHobbyShop 70" AJ Slick bbigdog2243 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Dec 31, 2010 11:24 PM
Video 3DHobbyShop Aj Slick ''Rc Day Two Rockin'' with onboard video Get Real Electric Plane Talk 2 Jun 18, 2009 03:07 AM
Sold 3dhobbyshop AJ Slick Wings Flazo Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 4 May 16, 2009 10:46 PM
Discussion 3DHobbyShop 51" AJ SLICK - how durable for 3D moves? Voyager 3D Flying 13 May 06, 2009 06:10 AM