HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2011, 08:20 PM
Williamsburg, Va, USA
Joined Jul 2001
281 Posts
Question
Blue versus Pink foam

I am not sure if this is the right forum but I searched and could not find anything. What are the advantages/disadvantages of using the Dow Blue Protection board compared to the Owens Corning Pink foam. I have been using the Protection board but am not happy with how wavy it is.
jb753 is offline Find More Posts by jb753
Last edited by jb753; Feb 23, 2011 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Correct company names
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2011, 08:27 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,553 Posts
Blue is Dow and Pink is Owens Corning. Historically, the Dow has been better the waves notwithstanding, as it is more "rubbery" i.e. tougher, and the skin is also more tough than the equivalent OC pink fanfold. The pink has also had a small amount of glass fibers in it (as you would expect from the "Fiberglas" people). But this makes it itchy and hard on knives. OC has a newer version i've seen at Home Depot that seems a lot more like the dow, skin is more rubbery and tough where as the old skin was brittle. I still don't think the foam itself is as tough as the Dow product, but it's a lot closer, and I recall that it doesn't have the waves. (incidently the waves are actually engineered into PBlll for it's real intended use as underlayment, unfortunate for us....) One other advantage to OC's new pink is the printing is on the skin, so if you like to build without skins, you get a completely plain pink building material that has no printing to try and remove.
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:38 PM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,681 Posts
Another Color in the Mix?

I have been wondering about the green FFF. That is what the local Lows has on the shelf. I have been using $tree foam but with the 20x30 size, it can have it's limitations without splicing and sometimes a nice big single piece would be desired. I have not read or heard anything good or bad on it? Maybe the fact that no one is using it, or talking about it might say something... Anyone have experience with the green FFF?
Quick61 is offline Find More Posts by Quick61
Old Feb 22, 2011, 02:00 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,553 Posts
Occasionally some one will post about the green stuff, I think it was originally showing as amco, or amoco (?) brand. As I recall, it's a bit heavier then Dow blue, and was a bit more brittle, but guys made planes from it and flew them ok.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2011, 02:11 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
2,930 Posts
My first ever foam purchase was a bundle of pink about 4-5 years ago. I used a few sheet and the rest is still in my garage. I don't like working with it and would give it to anyone that would come and get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Occasionally some one will post about the green stuff, I think it was originally showing as amco, or amoco (?) brand. As I recall, it's a bit heavier then Dow blue, and was a bit more brittle, but guys made planes from it and flew them ok.
larryross is offline Find More Posts by larryross
Old Feb 22, 2011, 03:28 PM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Thank you for the reply. The brittle part I kind of conformed last time I was down at the store. There was a small corner piece broken off and it did seem on the brittle side. Could of lived with that OR it being heaver but I think I will hold out for the blue stuff before I try FFF. Seems like the best shot at getting a good result with something new on the first go. I'll try to score some from the construction guys around town as we had a tornado visit us late last summer and they are still fixing the mess it left.
Quick61 is offline Find More Posts by Quick61
Old Feb 22, 2011, 03:42 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,116 Posts
Blue is for boy planes. Pink is for girl planes.

The waviness is largely a factor of how it is packaged and bundled. The fan-fold is strapped together with plastic bands -- the tighter the bands, the more it deforms the foam. I think the pink foam is a bit "squishier", so it tends to get banded tighter to hold it together for shipping. I think the blue foam is a little more rigid and less "rubbery"... but which is "better" depends on what you are using it for:

I think the pink foam forms curves easier without snapping if you are bending shapes with it. But the blue is stiffer, making it more structural for wings, etc.

The green stuff is total crap. It's heavy and brittle.

The thicker 4'x8' sheets of pink foam is what has the fiberglass embedded in it. 1/2", 3/4", 1" thick, etc. I'm not sure if the fiberglass is for increased insulation or for increased tensile strength.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:22 PM
Williamsburg, Va, USA
Joined Jul 2001
281 Posts
The waves that I am talking about in the Protection Board are not from the banding - the thickness of the foam varies across the sheet. The older blue Dow did not have the waves. I wish I could find some of the old blue foam.
jb753 is offline Find More Posts by jb753
Old Feb 23, 2011, 09:37 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,553 Posts
It's still made, or at least still shows on Dow's web site, but no-one's seen it in a while. The next best is High performance LF which is double skinned, and has cut edges, not folded, but it also has the waves/thickness variation that are put in for the sheathing function it's made for.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2011, 08:16 AM
United States, MI, Parma
Joined Aug 2006
200 Posts
The blue foam that I was finding at the local Lowes in central southeren Michigan is no more. I talked to a guy I know works there and found Lowes decided to change to the green looking stuff for cost reasons. Still good for house insulation, but not so good for our airplane work. I bought the last 2 bundles they had, they were pretty beat up. At least they were marked way down.
Rolland Benson is offline Find More Posts by Rolland Benson