SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:35 PM
Warbirds and More Warbirds
United States, GA, Dahlonega
Joined Aug 2012
49 Posts
Also would anyone be interested in seeing some pics of the inside of this birds fuselage? I am rebuilding one after a head on with a power pole DOH! The replacement Fuse I got was only tacked together (they come with nothing but the foam no plastic parts at all) so I could throw up some pics of it split for you guys to checkout.
Whitey22 is offline Find More Posts by Whitey22
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:49 PM
United States, NC, Rocky Mt
Joined Oct 2003
1,112 Posts
Its pretty cool in there right...I am about to epoxy the halves of my project stang tonight. So about the motor thing...so the higher KV in this case would be slower...or are you saying not to go higher than 1000kv just because of the plane would shred itself from power?
P-51 flyby is offline Find More Posts by P-51 flyby
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:22 AM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-51 flyby View Post
Its pretty cool in there right...I am about to epoxy the halves of my project stang tonight. So about the motor thing...so the higher KV in this case would be slower...or are you saying not to go higher than 1000kv just because of the plane would shred itself from power?
There's a balancing act you have to play between prop size, KV, operating voltage, and a number of other factors. In general, if you go to a higher KV motor, you will either have to lower your operating voltage or go to a smaller prop to avoid exceeding the power limitations on your motor or ESC (assuming they were the same from what you are starting with). There's a power band the motor likes to operate under where it's most efficient. Exceeding it will usually not result in more speed as more of the energy you put in is going to heat rather than motion as the motor starts to bog down. There's a good calculator for predicting the performance of your power setup at this site:

http://rcwebclub.com/PropEngine.aspx
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:16 PM
Joined Aug 2012
49 Posts
As was said above and also from my understanding KV is like gear ratio high KV motors are for speed and lower KV in the same size motor is for torque from my experience, I personally prefer a little more torque than speed, I use a large pitch prop with a torque motor and I get a little less speed but when I pull the plane vertical it climbs out with authority. In this plane I use a Tacon Bigfoot 25 from Nitro with a 12x8 MAS (i do not recommend this motor and prop on the stock ESC I have a 70amp Detrum though 50amp or above would be fine) and I couldn't be happier I have more than enuff power (over powered really) it cruises at below half throttle and I'm still running 3s (2x2200 20c lipos in parallel as one only gave me 3 min flights and they were hot and not happy when they came down :-P) OFC this is my personal experience and your mileage may vary ;-)
Last edited by Whitey22; Dec 21, 2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:33 AM
United States, FL, Satellite Beach
Joined Jul 2012
524 Posts
Whitey, did you use the stock motor mount? If so how much of a gap do you have between spinner and fuse?
comanch is offline Find More Posts by comanch
Old Dec 23, 2012, 03:38 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,112 Posts
I have been using a 10.5x9 on 4s 2650 nanotech iwth stock motor. This is the part of this project I hate....I hate motor vs..prop...vs amps and what not.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:22 AM
Joined Aug 2012
49 Posts
No comanch had to make a mount from hobby ply the stock mount was to long for the Tacon motor.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:19 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyhead View Post
A few more pictures to answer other questions. The motor mount is a simple metal bracket type. It attaches to a metal plate that is installed in a slot as the two fuselage halves are glued together. Mount does have right and down thrust bent into it. Seems to be very sturdy.
Fuzzyhead I need your help dude..removed the motor and motor mount from my p51..the same mount u have in the picture..I need to know what position the notch is in..it is either top right corner or bottom left corner..help
larryg1959 is offline Find More Posts by larryg1959
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:45 PM
Joined Aug 2012
49 Posts
Larry the metal motor mount has the pitch in it if you install it wrong when you put a spinner on you can see it is wrong ie the spinner wont be flush or aligned with the fuselage , I know it would have been easier for you if I just told you the notch location but I haven't been using the original mount and can't actually find it >.< hope this helps.

Just thought of another way to tell also if you measure from the back (where it mounts to firewall) to the front (where the motor attaches)
the bottom left should be the shortest (looking at the plane from the front)
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:08 PM
Joined Aug 2012
49 Posts
Pictures of Inside the Fuse

Here are the Pictures of the inside of the Fuselage as promised, may be useful to anyone currently or in the future doing a build or modifications. Disregard the bamboo skewers and wooden motor mount and the missing hump at the back of the battery tray those are my modifications.

Last edited by Whitey22; Dec 27, 2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:38 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,112 Posts
Pretty sweet! I am working on outside of my fuse awaiting parts from hobby king.
Last edited by P-51 flyby; Dec 27, 2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:42 PM
United States, FL, Satellite Beach
Joined Jul 2012
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey22 View Post
No comanch had to make a mount from hobby ply the stock mount was to long for the Tacon motor.
Thanks Whitey22.
comanch is offline Find More Posts by comanch
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:22 AM
Add your country to profile:)
United States, CA, Crestline
Joined Oct 2006
309 Posts
P-51Flyby, your bird is looking great! Be sure and get some close ups of the whole thing when you get her together, and give us details on decals and stuff too please.
CrashMaster39 is offline Find More Posts by CrashMaster39
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:24 PM
Joined Aug 2012
49 Posts
Yeah FlyBy that P-51 is looking Gorgeous second the pics on the finished bird! Any chance of a close up of the interior of the cockpit I see you did the rails around the instruments would love to see what you did their, I just finished making the Bore site out of balsa and a Pepsi bottle :-P, Oh and I see you used the pilot from ParkZone at the risk of getting you to buy another have you seen their pilot for the new Corsair his part # is PKZ6008 one of the best I have seen lately

No problem comanch thats what we are here for ;-)

P.S. Does anyone know what happened to ScalepilotsUSA (Foamie4life/MPS86) ? Hes from NY Im guessing Sandy gave him trouble but would like to know his pilots are amazing.
Last edited by Whitey22; Dec 28, 2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:30 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,112 Posts
oh it will be a while fellas I started off with a fuse...you guys havent even seen the cool parts yet. I will make a build log on my blog how about that. Yeah that pilot is a temp...and the cockpit isnt near complete...just the panels on the fuse.