HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:22 PM
United States, FL, Satellite Beach
Joined Jul 2012
523 Posts
Finally started putting this P51 together, found the same probs with spinner & prop but did get them balanced. New screws for the spinner & a lot of other work. Did the rake job by cutting out mount area and using oak blocks. Put Great Planes 2.75" wheels on it. While putting the wing together I noticed resistance on the spar when it was across from the gear. Pulled the spar out & shined a light down the spar slot & saw the wires for the gear strung straight across the middle of the slot. Same on other wing. Had to cut a slot in the wing to pull the wires up and out of the way. Starting paint.
comanch is offline Find More Posts by comanch
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:16 PM
United States, NC, Rocky Mt
Joined Oct 2003
1,103 Posts
Does anyone know if you can purchase or does anyone have a crashed dynam mustang that has the exhaust stacks they are willing to sell some how in transport mine got knocked off and I have only 6 cycl. mustang..
Thanks
P-51 flyby is offline Find More Posts by P-51 flyby
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:36 PM
Warbirds and More Warbirds
United States, GA, Dahlonega
Joined Aug 2012
49 Posts
Hate to say but for some reason I have not seen anyone carrying the plastics set for the Mustang they have them for most of the Dynam planes but not for the P-51 kind of annoying but I may have a solution for you I found this while looking for cockpit detailing http://www.shapeways.com/shops/palmen3d look towards the bottom of the page, he made it for the Hyperion 25e size Mustang that is darn near the same dimensions as the Dynam.
Whitey22 is offline Find More Posts by Whitey22
Last edited by Whitey22; Nov 29, 2012 at 12:33 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:20 AM
Joined Oct 2003
1,103 Posts
Sweet...thanks much!!
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:55 AM
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Aug 2010
127 Posts
P-51 that is the same motor. Sorry didn't take any pictures. Only two of the mounting holes line up but that has not seemed to cause any problem. I do also like the fact that the motor has a larger shaft than the stock motor which makes it more resistant to shaft damage from tipping onto the nose which this plane likes to do when landing on grass even with the mods to the gear. I think more elevator throw would help with. I can land perfectly and about half the time just before it stops rolling it will tip up on the nose. Especially when it is balanced to fly properly it is a bit nose heavy anyway. Even a quarter of an ounce (7 grams) makes a difference.
winginman is offline Find More Posts by winginman
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:53 PM
Joined May 2010
1,730 Posts
I am finally building my p-51 tonight... I will maiden using a 3s 2200 sky lipo..since battery compartment is to small to fit my zippy 4s 2450mah packs... Should i stick an extra piece of foam to push the 2200 3s battery full forward and prevent the battery from shifting...Or is it better to put foam in front of battery and bring CG back slightly? thx
hate2crash is offline Find More Posts by hate2crash
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:13 PM
Warbirds and More Warbirds
United States, GA, Dahlonega
Joined Aug 2012
49 Posts
hate2crash I push a single 3s 2200 all the way forward (or at least when I ran only one I'm currently running 2 in parallel) but you will want to put the battery in and get the correct CG it may vary depending on a multitude of things. And yes I used a piece of foam to keep it their I tried velcro but it was a PITA to get out.
Whitey22 is offline Find More Posts by Whitey22
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:00 AM
Joined May 2010
1,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey22 View Post
hate2crash I push a single 3s 2200 all the way forward (or at least when I ran only one I'm currently running 2 in parallel) but you will want to put the battery in and get the correct CG it may vary depending on a multitude of things. And yes I used a piece of foam to keep it their I tried velcro but it was a PITA to get out.
Thx for the tip... I will maiden on 3s,I already have extra 50-70 amp escs and will be converting to 4s down the road...Seems like a very solid bird
hate2crash is offline Find More Posts by hate2crash
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:57 PM
United States, GA, Albany
Joined Jun 2012
23 Posts
. I have beat the hell outta this thing over the summer.I know I have between 120-160 flights on this thing still usin the stock battery along with the sky lipo 3s i bought with it.Everything but the prop is stock prop is 11x6 two blade.I now have it on my futaba 6j tx but only for the last 6 flights or so.Now that I have a little more authority in the controls I will probably go 4s.If I get a new system n reinforce it a little mabe even 5 or 6s lol. I was meaning to up-grade months ago but got side-tracked when I was introduced into the world of nitro (glow)power but a big pine tree took care of that for me not too long ago.Now it's just me and my dynam till I can afford a replacement hee hee. I have videos on youtube some crashes n rough landins. No harm though just hot-glue n clear-tape or gorrilla glue (my preference) n right back up
frankmoser72 is offline Find More Posts by frankmoser72
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:25 PM
Joined Jul 2012
523 Posts
Flew the maiden today, 4s30c2200SkyLipo positioned at rear of batt compartment with foam block in front to prevent slipping forward. Went to Dubro spinner for the stock 3 blade. Great flying P51, gonna fly it again tomorrow.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:59 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,103 Posts
Awesome...I am begining my new and likely only winter project this year. She will be an awesome dynam mustang with things that I think would be cool and more scale as my "Angels Playmate" is getting old. I will keep everyone posted on what I do and how I do it. For now I am awaiting parts to arrive.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:10 PM
Joined Jul 2012
523 Posts
Nice winter project. You can fly in the winter there can't you? Used to fly into LAS fairly frequently, darn hot in the summer.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:22 PM
The Dude Abides
United States, IN, Fortville
Joined Jan 2012
96 Posts
As far as flaps go on this, do you need to add hinges or just cut the sides and add servos and good to go.
dsmithwc04 is offline Find More Posts by dsmithwc04
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:21 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by comanch View Post
Nice winter project. You can fly in the winter there can't you? Used to fly into LAS fairly frequently, darn hot in the summer.
I could there but I need to update. Im near jacksonville,nc now since I joined USMC so I can but plenty of winds and odd weather in winter so I prefer to hang up the transmitters and build.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:03 PM
Joined Jul 2012
523 Posts
Understood, the enjoyment of building a new bird vs. fixing one when probably shouldn't have been airborne.
Flew models at Ft. Bragg many yrs. ago.
Am liking this bird with 4s power, fun!
Last edited by comanch; Dec 06, 2012 at 09:48 PM. Reason: addition