HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2011, 09:35 PM
Joined Aug 2009
839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drypipe View Post
The forward rake on the LG is a very important factor, which is most particular for that scale size model and being a "Mustang" which always comes in fast during landings, even with the flaps are deployed.
Also, on paved surfaces, a forward rake in the LG is a good Factor of Safety!

The model must ALSO be tested on a GRASS FIELD because not everyone belongs to a club that has a paved airfield or acess to a clear paved surface!
ALSO ::

We need photos of the inside of the cowl. Is there a good quality Box Motor Mount or cheap balsa stick mount? Is there a Bell Type Motor Or good quality outrunner? Also, we need photos of the inside of the servo tray and battery compartment.

P.S. In addition to MORE FORWARD RAKE on the retract landing gear plates, It appears, from the video, that the hatch needs stronger, and or more, magnets to hold down the hatch. Rare Earth Magnets around the hatch that are attracted to small metal plates around hatch frame fuselage, would be the best choice for a $169.00 model.
drypipe is offline Find More Posts by drypipe
Last edited by drypipe; May 31, 2011 at 10:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2011, 09:16 AM
wishing for Tomcat...
United States, CA, Irvine
Joined Jun 2009
676 Posts
Just saw the review video. It's a decent looking standoff Mustang. But that landing gear rake must change. Antonio greased the last landing on smooth pavement and the plane still nosed over.

Can't beat the price though. $109 for an arf with etracts. Maybe a couple of washers on the rear of the etract mount will do?
turbinefancy is offline Find More Posts by turbinefancy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyzone Millennium Master
Old Jun 12, 2011, 01:08 PM
Huge member!
Pawtucket R.I.
Joined May 2008
478 Posts
Thats what Ill probably do. I ordered it yesterday so I dont expect to see it untill next Mon. If the retract mounts look strong enough Ill try a couple of washers,if not probably pulling the mounts and adding a hardwood wedge for the mount to sit on should do it. Untill it actually arrives its all spec. Brutus
BRUTUS2238 is offline Find More Posts by BRUTUS2238
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:39 PM
User Registered
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined May 2011
191 Posts
I'm debating whether I should get this or the FMS 1400M version... need too look for a 4 bladed prop and spinner... you guys think there's enough room to make the tail wheel retractable???
PacificPilot is offline Find More Posts by PacificPilot
Old Jun 21, 2011, 07:15 PM
Huge member!
Pawtucket R.I.
Joined May 2008
478 Posts
Mine came in yesterday,I just got thru checking it out. It looks real nice. The retracts need to be raked forward a bit ,otherwise its quite nice.If you thought "Goofy" was a BOGUS pilot,wait till you see "RED"! Brutus
BRUTUS2238 is offline Find More Posts by BRUTUS2238
Old Jul 19, 2011, 04:46 PM
B-17 freak
NE Italy near Aviano AB
Joined Jan 2004
653 Posts
I just got mine, it comes with a 3 bladed prop & spinner, which are NOT scale, so I ordered a 4 blade prop & spinner for the HK version which has the same span (hopefully the spinner & prop will fit). I pried the canopy off & got rid of the guy that seems to have been added as an afterthought. Thankfully I had a latex 1/10 scale US WWII pilot which I cut to size & glued in after adding headrest & armor plate cut from depron. The whole office was then painted in Tamiya flat black & the canopy glued back on.
Next I brush painted the yellow plastic exhausts in Humbrol gun metal & buffed it to a nice sheen. Looking much better now. What remains to be done is reglueing all the horns & servos which were all loose and came off in my hands!
What I need to know before applying decals is whether the 'feeble eagle' ever carried invasion stripes. All the pics I've seen of this aircraft DON'T have them! Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
Vic
Vic Arcudi is offline Find More Posts by Vic Arcudi
Old Jul 19, 2011, 08:03 PM
352nd FGA
USA, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2006
584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Arcudi View Post
I just got mine, it comes with a 3 bladed prop & spinner, which are NOT scale, so I ordered a 4 blade prop & spinner for the HK version which has the same span (hopefully the spinner & prop will fit). I pried the canopy off & got rid of the guy that seems to have been added as an afterthought. Thankfully I had a latex 1/10 scale US WWII pilot which I cut to size & glued in after adding headrest & armor plate cut from depron. The whole office was then painted in Tamiya flat black & the canopy glued back on.
Next I brush painted the yellow plastic exhausts in Humbrol gun metal & buffed it to a nice sheen. Looking much better now. What remains to be done is reglueing all the horns & servos which were all loose and came off in my hands!
What I need to know before applying decals is whether the 'feeble eagle' ever carried invasion stripes. All the pics I've seen of this aircraft DON'T have them! Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
Vic
that is the "Dynam" for you!Some assembly required!
About scale painting i did place some pics of real plane,here it go again http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=20
Alrus1 is offline Find More Posts by Alrus1
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:50 AM
B-17 freak
NE Italy near Aviano AB
Joined Jan 2004
653 Posts
Well, it's finished! Job's made simpler by the fact that the full scale 'feeble eagle' had no invasion stripes, so there's a few less stickers to apply! On the downside, the fuselage has the invasion stripes painted on, so I took a little poetic license and left them, lots of P-51s left them on. As a finishing touch the front cockpit coaming was painted to a colour matching the kits'. I used 2 parts SEA forest green & 1 part SEA dark green.
Furthermore the chin scoop was opened up with a dremel tool to admit some airflow over the motor & esc, only problem is, there's nowhere for the air to exit!
Another issue is the landing gear with insufficient forward rake. Having balanced the model as per instructions the cg ends up smack in the middle of the wheel wells, seems strange to me. Anyway here's some pics...
Vic Arcudi is offline Find More Posts by Vic Arcudi
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:57 AM
Joined Aug 2009
839 Posts
Now Dynam needs to produce a FW-190a, in the same scale, to combat all those manufacturer P-51s, including now their own P-51 redundancy!
Old Jul 20, 2011, 01:09 PM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,562 Posts
Vic - post #68

Thanks Vic, that's a surprisingly good looking P-51.

FWIW - There was discussion on the large FMS P-51 thread about the rake of the P-51 landing gear as it was too vertical also. Information came up that placed the correct scale P-51 strut geometry as a having a 15 degree rake forward from vertical, that is with the fuselage propped up at the tail and the center reference line level to a flat surface.
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Last edited by gnats82; Jul 20, 2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 04:18 PM
Old Crewchief
Schertz, Texas, United States
Joined May 2004
1,263 Posts
After much thought I ordered the P-51 today. Initially I was after the FMS 55" P-47. Had major concerns that my flying area, which is down the block, was too small. The nearest place I felt comfortable flying the P-47 was 5 miles away. No guarantee that it was always available. So for the sake of conveinence, I opted for the slightly smaller and much lighter Mustang. Was not thrilled with the comments regarding Dynams customer service so I paid a bit more and ordered from Grayson Hobby. Great service from previous orders. They guarantee UPS delivery in 3-4 business days. Will report back on that.
Other than adjusting the rake of the landing gear I didn't notice any mods mentioned. A lot of cosmetic scale issues were brought up. I plan on putting some of the invasion stripes on the bottom. Its a visual orientation thing for me. A silver plane against a pale hazy sky can lead to disaster. My eyes ain't as young as they used to be. All my planes have them. Looking forward to sharing my success.
fuzzyhead is online now Find More Posts by fuzzyhead
Old Aug 30, 2011, 06:16 PM
Joined Aug 2009
839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyhead View Post
After much thought I ordered the P-51 today. Initially I was after the FMS 55" P-47. Had major concerns that my flying area, which is down the block, was too small. The nearest place I felt comfortable flying the P-47 was 5 miles away. No guarantee that it was always available. So for the sake of conveinence, I opted for the slightly smaller and much lighter Mustang. Was not thrilled with the comments regarding Dynams customer service so I paid a bit more and ordered from Grayson Hobby. Great service from previous orders. They guarantee UPS delivery in 3-4 business days. Will report back on that.
Other than adjusting the rake of the landing gear I didn't notice any mods mentioned. A lot of cosmetic scale issues were brought up. I plan on putting some of the invasion stripes on the bottom. Its a visual orientation thing for me. A silver plane against a pale hazy sky can lead to disaster. My eyes ain't as young as they used to be. All my planes have them. Looking forward to sharing my success.
Does it have one of those cheesy "bell type" outrunner motors? Also how's the esc and servos?
Old Aug 30, 2011, 07:49 PM
Old Crewchief
Schertz, Texas, United States
Joined May 2004
1,263 Posts
Haven't received it yet. The promised shipping time appears to be accurate. UPS tracking shows a Thursday delivery. I plan on swapping out the esc with a Turnigy 40A. Partially for the quality issue and that would be easier than soldering a Deans connector on.
fuzzyhead is online now Find More Posts by fuzzyhead
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:12 PM
Joined Aug 2009
839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyhead View Post
Haven't received it yet. The promised shipping time appears to be accurate. UPS tracking shows a Thursday delivery. I plan on swapping out the esc with a Turnigy 40A. Partially for the quality issue and that would be easier than soldering a Deans connector on.
Please let me know if it has an outrunner bell type motor when you receive it ok ?
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:37 PM
USA, TX, Van Alstyne
Joined Nov 2010
1,304 Posts
I got my Dynam Spitfire in on Monday, and that was my worry too, the motor
and it did not come with bell motor so hopefully Mustang will have the same motor, after market props & spinners should be ok
Servos seem to be ok I have talk to a few who are flying the T-28 with no problems and with the stock ESC. I have the dynam ESC on some smaller 800 airfields and have no problems but I am upsizing my 30-amp to a 50-amp with a castle 10a BEC to power all of my servos adding flaps.
inspector5419 is offline Find More Posts by inspector5419